Nintendo DS

The Damned

Hey, got a random question about the DS. If I change my DS username, will I lose my stats for online games such as Mario Kart and Hunters (or any game for that matter)?

Nope. Only if you get a new DS and don't transfer the NWFC settings.

• 2 weeks later...

I snuck up behind you; I am wearing a freaky mask. I go to pull out my knife and you wet yourself. Oh, wait. It's just a plate of reviewburgers of some excellent Japanese DS games. You naively begin eating only to find the burgers to be laced with insanity and insomnia. I am error. Theme Music Start

Jet Impulse is awesome. Seriously. It's just like Ace Combat, but maybe better.

This game is not made by Namco, but I bet Namco couldn't have made a better flight game for DS. The graphics are excellent and the missions are fun. There's plenty of different weapons to buy. It has 24 different jets plus crazy downloadable fighters; the designs are pretty wild, like a UFO or something looking like a car turned into a stealth fighter with a lazer, for example.

The game also has lots of voice acting and FMV, and it's nice that there are lots of menu buttons in english (and engrish). There's supposedly online battling to be done, but as only about 3 and 1/3 people must've bought the game I have yet to connect to anyone (damnable Nintendo online barhbawifiogfrajkd). The only other problem with the game is that slowdown occasionally occurs. But I don't mind since it just allows for some incredible Jedi Matrix Newtype Bullet Time stuff to be pulled off. Continuing with that tangent, I noticed that some plot elements seem to be jacked straight out of the original Gundam anime. Black Orion Stars? The enemy Crimson ace who keeps getting better machines in the same color schemes and is related to a close friend of the main character? Ryu dies? Space Nazis? Chewie's his sister? Snape kills Dumbl- uh I think I got confused. The story is pretty easy to follow even without knowing Japanese. I hope this game comes to the U.S. intact or better (but in English). I can't help but think of what happened to Ace Combat 3. Anywho (ain' I just HIlarious), this is definitely one of the top 5 games on DS.

Score: 10 out of 10 -- Buy it or go to Heck. Maybe Hell.

Dear Santa,

Another awesome game I played is Tank Beat. The game has tanks and cool music, so the title is totally not trying to trick you into buying a game about abusing your aquarium.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgjLd_g3KB8

It's an action game where you control your tank like it's a real-time strategy game. It works well, but it could have been done in a less asinine manner. The game still kicks ass, though. I heard the game was coming to the U.S. in March. But then it said May. Does this kind of thing happen a lot? Oh well. Just watch the video cuz that aquarium joke took a lot out of me.

Score: 8 bad jokes out of 10

P.S. The cookies were poisoned. Or maybe not. Actually, they were. Sorry.

P.P.S. Thanks for the pony. It was delicious.

And one more thing. Chou Soujuu Mecha MG.

The title of this game loosely translates to "Great Ballbusting Marionettes from Hell, That Silly Hirohito Is Back Went Back in Time to Conquer Za Warudo WRyyyyyyy Robotto. ¿Mucho Gusto."

I don't know if it will come to the U.S. I do know that it is based on the principle that picking up buildings with a giant robot and punting them is fun. Other than moving your unholy marionettes around with the d-pad, you use the awesome touch screen controls to control everything. Wow I write good. Swiping the stylus from side to side to to slash with a sword or flail the robot arms is great. You really get a rumbling giant robot battle vibe from the giant footfalls and ridiculously violent satisfying bouncing explosions of enemy robots. There are a lot of different robots to use, some with the ability to transform, and some that may look like Mr. Peanut or a windmill. In some of the missions you are given, rather than kill robots you have to destroy buildings or race a snailbot or, and this may be blasphemy, simply place rocks in a set area or remove them within a time limit. I have nothing else to say except: defenestration.

Score: 8 broken touchscreens and windows out of 10

And one MORE thing. Maybe two.

Hiite Utaeru Guitar M-06

A "non-game" where you play the guitar. You can only play chords, but the samples are good and you can strum up AND down (DAAAMN) or do a half strum thing. I dunno. Not being able to play single notes definitely makes it a non-buy for me. It'll come to Not Japan later this year.

I also played Heroes of Mana. It's an RTS with resource gathering rabites and a flying base ship that generates loyal stupid monsters from resources gathered by slowly murdering trees and rocks that have faces. Standard stuff. Your troops like to take roundabout paths to where you guide them, politely giving as many out of the way enemies as possible the chance to attack. Whatever. I hope Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Ring of Fates Failure to Alliterate on the Sub-subtitle YOU LOSE GOOD DAY SIR is good. Whenever the hell that comes out.

And with the last of my dignity and coherence gone I bid you suffering in the spirit of Schadenfreude. สมน้ำหน้า

So I picked up Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow today at Best Buy for $10. Pretty good deal, I'd say. I haven't started playing yet, though.

I have looked EVERYWHERE for that here. I cannot find.

Also, have I mentioned how much fun I'm having with Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney? Because I'm having a lot. Bus-rides to work go so much quicker now.

I'm looking at the ninja gaiden screens on IGN and man, does the game look good. It looks like it utilizes pre rendered backrounds and makes the game look awesome.

Yeah, it's lookin' pretty awesome. They were saying the screenshots don't really do it justice because of the dynamic use of the camera and whatnot, so I'm looking forward to seeing more.

IGN mentioned that there's a unique system and there's a tutorial to help you get acquainted with that. Hmmmmm....... I kind of want something like the original Ninja Gaiden. Maybe I'm a bit of a purist in that sense. But I think this is definitely one of those titles that doesn't have to make use of the stylus if in fact that's what is used in the unique control system. It does look nice.

IGN mentioned that there's a unique system and there's a tutorial to help you get acquainted with that. Hmmmmm....... I kind of want something like the original Ninja Gaiden. Maybe I'm a bit of a purist in that sense. But I think this is definitely one of those titles that doesn't have to make use of the stylus if in fact that's what is used in the unique control system. It does look nice.

I was assuming the whole Ninja Gaiden DS thing to be an early april fools joke from tecmo (team ninja?) But it was on IGN gamescoop and 1up Yours! this week. It sounds like a bad idea, I like ninja gaiden (old and new school) but a game similar to the NES games would be a better fit IMO. It's weird that you have to hold it like a book (ala hotel dusk), twitch games don't work so well on the DS but maybe this will open up the door for more action games.

I can't frickin wait for Pokemon to come out, i haven't decided which version to get yet.

So, has anyone else here tried Chocobo Tales? I can best describe it as "surprisingly awesome". Definetly work checking out, even if you aren't a huge fan of Final Fantasy.

I've been pretty interested in it. B-day is Friday, and I'm thinking a friend got it for me as a gift, but if not I'm buying it this weekend.

So I won a copy of Spectrobes for, long story short, being a smart arse.

Good game? Shit game? Trade-in fodder?

Judging by this review

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/other/nds/spectrobes/reviews/spectrobesstrev1.html

pretty bad.

You play as Rallen, a Planetary Patrol officer so shallow and unoriginal that you'll likely forget his name in a few seconds and start mentally referring to him as Cloud.

lolz

I picked up Phoenix Wright JFA recently and absolutely loved it. I'm absolutely hooked on that series. I ordered the first one the day I finished it, and I'm waiting for it to ship. The writing for that game is some of the best writing for a game I've come across.

I recently heard of a game called Hotel Dusk that looks very interesting, along the lines of PW, Myst, MoTaS, etc. Does anyone know much about it? I'm thinking of getting it after I finish my Phoenix Wright binge.

I picked up Phoenix Wright JFA recently and absolutely loved it. I'm absolutely hooked on that series. I ordered the first one the day I finished it, and I'm waiting for it to ship. The writing for that game is some of the best writing for a game I've come across.

I recently heard of a game called Hotel Dusk that looks very interesting, along the lines of PW, Myst, MoTaS, etc. Does anyone know much about it? I'm thinking of getting it after I finish my Phoenix Wright binge.

wait so you've played JFA but not the first?

get ready for JFA but with awesome music

It's definitely not as good as the Phoenix Wright games, and it can get sort of tedious at times, but it's good. I'd recommend it.