Nintendo DS

The Damned

So I managed to get a hold of a Polar White DS Lite today. Not only does it feel good in my hands, but holy shit is Phoenix Wright a good game. There's a part in the second chapter when Gumshoe is on the stand, and when you press him for mentioning "hard evidence" even though he provided none, he says, "D-Did I say that?" And then Phoenix, the judge, and even Edgeworth all in turn say, "You did say that." Hilarious. The music's not too shabby either.

NOT true. The DS uses a Lithium Ion battery, and as such, should be charged whenever possible to ensure maximum battery life (which decreases exponentially, not linearly, if you use your "charge when it's close to being dead" method).

So to answer your question Oddlama, charge it at night after any day in which you played your DS.

I stand corrected.

I have been rocking Etrian Odyssey for the last few weeks and it's pretty refreshing to play a game that has an actual sense of difficulty. I am also digging the turn based nature of it, since I play it while working on mixes.

I have a main party all around level 20 or so and i'm on the 6th floor.

What really sold me on it was the feature where you can name all your d00dz and pick their classes/portraits. Of course, I made myself and 4 random hunnies (just like real life lolololol)as my party.

IRCDS works great. I just gave it a shot and connected to #ocremix on the first try. I have the M3 Simply, btw, and I'm lovin' it.
I know the server is irc.enterthegame.com, but is the port the default of 6667?

I always get:

(Re)connecting...

Connecting to : irc.enterthegame.com/ (6667)

Could not resolve hostname

Edit: I managed to connect using the IRC feature of DSOrganize, but help would still be appreciated. Thanks.

OK, don't know what I did exactly but after messing around with the settings IRCDS is working now.

Thanks for all your help anyway :-D

In other news, the American version of Opera's Nintnedo DS Browser is supposed to be coming out tomorrow. Is anyone going to be getting it--or does anybody care? Me: I've been using a patched European version when it's been useful...

So, Planet Puzzle League comes out today - who's ready to lose to me?

I'll consider getting it, it looks fun. It's not out yet here in Canada though; we're generally a day or two behind you American folks for game releases.

Also, is the built-in voice chat worth doing with the built-in mic and headphones/built-in speakers, or is it worth getting a headset?

I really want to get Etrian Odyssey. Old school hardcore dungeon crawling for the win! How is the class system though? I mean, in terms of the balance and not having two of them available to you from the get-go.

Also, a little off-topic, but I've only recently realized the gems that Atlus is bringing state-side.

So, Planet Puzzle League comes out today - who's ready to lose to me?

That is a Tetris Attack clone, right? And online? If it integrates the touch as well as Meteos did, I can see this becoming quite popular.

I've added it to the ClanOCR database in my sig.

I really want to get Etrian Odyssey. Old school hardcore dungeon crawling for the win! How is the class system though? I mean, in terms of the balance and not having two of them available to you from the get-go.

The classes can be a little intimidating to power up; basically when you gain a level, you get a point you can use to improve an aspect of the character, and they give you a lot of options. You may want to read up on the skills and such first, because getting certain skills unlocks others; though it doesn't tell you what you need to power up before certain skills get unlocked.

The nice thing is that you can have a ton of characters and just switch out party members as needed. I initially had a troubador, but my party wasnt doing enough damage, so I switched her out with a survivalist, and things went a lot better. I still have the troubadour just chilling in case I want to switch back, so though the game is difficult, there is some flexibility.

edit: sorry I missed part of your question. The classes are all pretty balanced, though some have certain situations where they are more or less useful. Alchemists are pretty much the heavy damage casters, but they suck up MP like crazy, so during most encounters they will be smacking with their crappy stick for 5 damage. When it comes to FOEs (minibosees) and strata bosses (every 5 floors or so), they are super useful, rocking out 150ish per spell. There is a tank-style warrior who can taunt and has a ton of damage, also very useful for bosses, but not as good for regular fights, though certainly more useful than an alchemist. Of course your party will need a healer, who can't damage either, but you won't make it much past level 15 without one.

I've heard of people having 2 groups, one designed for cutting through floors and exploring, and one designed to deal huge damage to a single target. I havn't unlocked either or the extra characters, but I assume they are just like gravy chars; if anyone has either of them and actually knows, i'm curious to know as well.

I currently have 11 characters and will add another two once I unlock the Ronin and Hexer classes. My main is a Landsknecht (warrior type; their best skill is a passive one that lets them hit twice about 30% of the time when you get it to level 10), Protector (screw taunt, it's useless so far; they hit just about as well as my Landsknecht except when he double-hits; their big strength is Defender which significantly buffs defense for everyone in the party), Alchemist (mage type), Medic (healer, obviously needed; I suggest you pick skills to get revive level 1 as fast as possible), and Survivalist (archer-type; Appollon is my biggest damage-dealer; a boosted appollon does about 350-400 damage right now). These characters are between level 28 and 30 and are currently on level 9 of the dungeon.

I also have 4 other survivalists all around level 14. They can learn all three of the gathering skills (mine, chop, and take) so I'm maxing those out by running them two at a time through the labyrinth with my protector, landsknecht, and medic; when they're higher level I'll start taking skills to avoid combat so I can do quick harvesting runs with a group of 4 plus a protector in case things go wrong.

I also have a troubadour (bard, they do party buffs and enemy debuffs) and dark hunter (screw whips with them, get swords and learn drain, also get boost up), and will make a ronin and hexer when I unlock them. I haven't started either the troubadour or dark hunter yet; all I did was make the characters, but they're still at level 1. However, levelling someone with a high-level party is a snap; buy them the best gear you can and take them to a fairly deep floor in the dungeon. If you can keep them alive (you did learn revive on your medic, right?) they'll level really fast.

The ronin and hexer classes aren't really necessary, I'd think; as long as you have a medic and have levelled enough, you should be fine with a balanced party.

I'll be glad to talk strategy and exact builds; I've already worked out my builds for the 7 main classes after looking at discussion on the Gamespot forums, and I know what to take and why, and why avoiding certain things is a good idea. Perhaps that belongs in a separate thread though.

Etrian Odyssey: How do you know the skill trees? I'm assuming the standard you go online to check them out, but are they presented in game? That would be incredible if you could know all the skills and prereqs ahead of time.

Phoenix Wright: That fifth chapter was a lot of fun, but unfortunately I don't think the sequel was up to par with the series although it added more puzzles to solve so when you were investigating it wasn't -as- boring. Though in retrospect, those mini-puzzles made the actual trials easier because it allowed you to look at the evidence objectively before the trial forced you to.

They are presented in-game, although not really as a tree format. But you can go into Custom on the menu (which is where you spend skill points to learn skills) and select a skill for which you don't have the prereqs yet and it tells you what the prereqs are.

I've read it forces you to spend time on it because you can't save at any point except the town. This excites and worries me. I mean, just imagine spending so much time going down the levels of the dungeon only to die and get screwed either by Game Over or by spending way too much en (I think that's the currency.) reviving your chars.

I've only died once so far, and that was by taking on an FOE on the third floor that I wasn't ready for and I didn't try to escape the battle.

As for money, if you make a team of survivalists to farm item points, you make money really quickly. There's a chop point that's easily accessible on the first floor once you've explored the floor (there's a door from the starting room to the chop point room that you can only use once you go through it from the chop point room). Make a team of 5 level 1 survivalists, give them all 3 points each in chop (you start at 3 skill points and then get 1 more per level), and run them into the room, farm, sleep at the in, repeat. They'll rarely, if ever, get in a fight doing that; it's about 16 steps round trip from the door to the item point, and you'll make about 600 en per trip.

There are similar strategies on other floors, although you'll need to level your farmers a bit to make it to them safely. Another example is on floor 6; you can get right to floor 6 and hit two or three item points pretty easily and come out with a ton of stuff to sell.

As for saving, it's not really a big deal. Firstly, you get an item called warp wire after you finish the first mission (explore and map the first floor). Each costs 100 en, but you can use it to return to town from wherever you are. Think you're going to die? Escape the battle and use a warp wire. Secondly, there are a few places in the dungeon where you get full healing for free; so far, there's a hexer on level 3 who appears there until you defeat the boss on level 5, and there's a spring on level 8. Lastly, every 5 levels you move to a new stratum, and with each new stratum you gain the ability to warp from town to the beginning of that stratum and alternately to warp back out again for free from the warp point. So to get down to level 8, for example, you just have to go through level 6 and 7, not all 8. The game is unforgiving if you don't bring along a warp wire (have one with you always), but as long as you do, you'll rarely be in the dungeon long enough that not being able to save is a huge problem.