Nintendo DS

The Damned

I'm in the minority who don't see the DS Lite as an overall improvement. The brighter screens and longer battery life are nice, but the D-pad sucks, the size is too small, I'm not into the ipod look, those damn kids won't stop with their hip hop music and skatboarding, but I bought one (black is the only decent color so far) anyway.

I would be glad to see another redesign. It's not like I would have to buy it. But I probably would.

Also, that dirty stylus witch molestation game is coming out in Japan soon. Doki Doki Majo Shinpan (translation: WHAM! WHAM! Pound that Witch with Your Stylus For Great Justice).

The website is hilarious:

Are You Bad Person?

Very Yes

One (hopefully) good thing about the iPhone is that it will signify the end of all things stylus, including the DS. Q-pa let me play his, but he told me I had to use the stylus on the touchscreen because... I don't quite remember why. But there was a reason, I'm almost sure of it.

I purchased my DS lite maybe about a week or two ago and am very much satisfied with what I have. Now that I hear news of another DS variant, I'm wondering the true purpose in this?

$$$$$$$$$

If Nintendo releases a new DS, then a lot of people who already bought the DS and subsequently the DS Lite, would go out and buy the new new DS.

Marketing at its best...and most annoying.

One (hopefully) good thing about the iPhone is that it will signify the end of all things stylus, including the DS. Q-pa let me play his, but he told me I had to use the stylus on the touchscreen because... I don't quite remember why. But there was a reason, I'm almost sure of it.

You could use your fingers on the touchscreen...but why would you dirty it up like that?

$$$$$$$$$

If Nintendo releases a new DS, then a lot of people who already bought the DS and subsequently the DS Lite, would go out and buy the new new DS.

Marketing at its best...and most annoying.

Best, you say? Making 3 variants of the same damned system in order to keep up with the damands of the already twisted industry.

Can you imagine what lines you're going to hear after this E3?

"Hey man, I got that new DS that so many of my friends wanted..."

"Oh, you mean the one that costs $20-30 more than the previous one..."

EDIT: *sighs* Whatever. I understand you, B.M.

Best, you say? Making 3 variants of the same damned system in order to keep up with the damands of the already twisted industry.

Can you imagine what lines you're going to hear after this E3?

"Hey man, I got that new DS that so many of my friends wanted..."

"Oh, you mean the one that costs $20-30 more than the previous one..."

EDIT: *sighs* Whatever. I understand you, B.M.

Well, they did that with the GBA. I wouldn't say it's out of the question to see another DS remake down the line, but I'd say it would be at least a year or more from now.

Exclamation Warriors in action. This game is ridiculous lol. I would love to see someone playing this on a plane/train/bus.

Evilhead, are you a Club Nintendo member? Japan always gets better shit than we do, lol.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21270.html

ME, part of the Nintendo Club? Oh ho ho! Actually no though...

And a game that you control only using your voice? Hmm... sounds like it could get a little old, and there's no way to play it on the train!

These days it seems like I do about 90% of my gaming on the DS. Having an R4 card is the best. There are a lot of DS games worth purchasing, but the card has allowed me to check out games I normally would never think to buy, and enjoy others who have the ability to be entertaining for just a week or so. A few sleeper hits that I've really enjoyed lately is Picross DS and Sega Presents Touch Darts. I know there have been other Picross games for portable systems, but this is the first one I've tried out, and obviously it makes good use of the stylus. For those of you who haven't played it, it's kind of like Sudoku with pixel art. The puzzles start of quite easy but level up in difficulty quite smoothly. It's quite addicting! And Touch Darts is a really fun game. I enjoy darts in real life (just played with some friends last night, in fact), but I'd imagine it would be fun for just about anyone. It's kind of like the darts in clubhouse games except you have much greater control of the darts. But there is definitely room for error and skill to come into play so it replicates real darts quite well. Except in real darts I rather rarely get that treble 20. The game is also quite polished with a nice variety of boards/venues, and the customizable 3D darts look quite nice. Check it out if you see it.

Speaking of which, does anyone know what the best flashcart/passcard combination(s) are if I want both NDS and GBA homebrew? Basically some pros/cons of the R4 vs. M3 vs. G6 vs. EZ4 vs. SuperCard vs. etc would be nice.
I bought a SuperCard MiniSD back when I only had a GBA, and complimented it with a Supercard DS ONE when I got my DS a few months ago.

The SuperCard MiniSD for Slot 2 has its downsides; mainly how all games must be patched first on Windows before moving them to the card and how battery saves must be saved to the MiniSD card manually :whatevaa:. Even then you sometimes have to fiddle with the patching settings; some games like Sonic the Hedgehog are slow regardless and some like Super Monkey Ball Jr. and the NES Classics series won't load at all! One plus about the card though is it has Goomba GameBoy and PocketNES NES emulators built in with drag-and-drop support.

But I have yet to find any problems with the DS ONE. It's drag-and-drop, handles saves automatically and has a good text displayer and media player. The only game that I found not to work with it is the Sonic Rush E3 2005 beta (you have to turn off saves). If you have both Slot 1 and Slot 2 solutions you can load the DS Browser without having to patch it first and of course have GBA union.

I've ran DS homebrew (DSOrganize and Mini vMac DS among others) with no problems, but never really got into GBA homebrew. If you're looking for more information on the different card types

I recommend scene portal sites like www.gbatemp.net/ and www.ds-scene.net/

Finally, The Engrish instruction manuals for both cards is both hillarious and sad.:tomatoface:

Disclaimer: Piracy is evil!!!!!!

If you want both DS and GBA, only a slot 2 cartridge will work.

I use an M3 Perfect (and I have the lite microSD variant). It's the best out there if you want everything.

Sure, you need to patch DS games, but firmware updates are frequent and comprehensive when needed. I've never had a game not work a week or so after it's released and normally new games work right off the bat. Homebrew works fine, both .nds and .ds.gba. Unlike the Supercard, gba games run at full speed. Saving is seamless - the games save as normal and it gets backed up to the flash every boot. Never had any gba incompatibilities.

It's expensive, but it's the best.

Now, if you'd rather have built-in flash for some reason (highest model has 1 gigabyte I believe .. maybe even 512MB) the G6 is made by the same company and does the same thing.

Some other slot-2 cards are "almost as good" but generally have pretty big flaws. Supercard is the only one that comes close and it has problems with a lot of GBA games.

Slot 1 cards are cheaper and don't need games to be patched but do not do GBA at all.

You will need a Passme to use a slot 2 card, at least until you flash it (which requires the passme to do so you're buying one if you go slot-2). Passcard 3 works. Superkey works. Basically anything with "3" in it works. Avoid the Max media launcher as it has problems with sleep mode. Aside from that they're pretty much all the same. The sole function of the passme is to boot a slot 2 card.

Cool, thanks guys.

The M3 sounds awesome, but I have a few concerns. The first and main concern is whether it will work as a standalone GBA flashcart as well. Basically it'd be nice if I could use it with my SP as well...no particular reason, it'd just be cool if I could.

The secondary and related concern is pretty minor but still worth addressing, namely form factor. I don't feel comfortable being restricted to Lite shells...again, options are a plus. How many versions of the M3 Perfect are there anyway?

The third issue might be more important than the first (unless I'm missing something), specifically the matter of actually buying a microSD card and reader/writer. I can deal with the $10-20 cost of the media, but I'd rather not buy a separate device to read/write. Does the M3 come with one?

The G6 does look like an attractive solution as well, if only because it comes with a GBA shell in addition to the Lite shells. :P Not to mention it has built-in media and comes with a USB adapter. Space doesn't worry me too much...1GB is plenty for me.

And lastly...would it be too much to ask for rumble? ^_^;;

Of course, this might be all moot until I take care of that "getting a job" issue...

Cool, thanks guys.

The M3 sounds awesome, but I have a few concerns. The first and main concern is whether it will work as a standalone GBA flashcart as well. Basically it'd be nice if I could use it with my SP as well...no particular reason, it'd just be cool if I could.

The secondary and related concern is pretty minor but still worth addressing, namely form factor. I don't feel comfortable being restricted to Lite shells...again, options are a plus. How many versions of the M3 Perfect are there anyway?

The microSD variant is a Lite-shell, and can only be used in a DS Lite.

The miniSD variant is the size of a GBA cart, a natural fit for a GBA or DS Fat. The fullsize SD variant is a little larger, sticking out of any device a little bit.

The third issue might be more important than the first (unless I'm missing something), specifically the matter of actually buying a microSD card and reader/writer. I can deal with the $10-20 cost of the media, but I'd rather not buy a separate device to read/write. Does the M3 come with one?

No, it doesn't - I use this (which reads all sizes of SD without an adapter). Also, my laptop and printer both have built-in SD slots. Most digital cameras do as well, and virtually all microSD and miniSD cards come with an adapter to make it fit in a fullsize SD slot.

The G6 does look like an attractive solution as well, if only because it comes with a GBA shell in addition to the Lite shells. :P Not to mention it has built-in media and comes with a USB adapter. Space doesn't worry me too much...1GB is plenty for me. And lastly...would it be too much to ask for rumble? ^_^;;

Short answer: Yes

Long answer: M3 and G6 do not have this feature. There is a Supercard variant that does. However, the Supercard Rumble is basically a slot 2 cart that acts like a slot 1 cart - they took the necessary hardware for GBA out to make room for the motor.

Of course, this might be all moot until I take care of that "getting a job" issue...
Hope I helped.