Nintendo DS

The Damned

Amazon.com is having a one-day sell of Pokémon Pearl for only $20. And they also hae Fire Red and Leaf Green for the GBA for $20 as well. You can get two games for the price of one, and since you can use the GBA games to transfer GBA pokes over, and make rare ones appear on your DS game... there's lots of good reasons to get them.

http://www.dsfanboy.com/2007/08/15/to-be-a-pokemon-miser-is-your-destiny/

I'd just like to say, in my opinion, the 2 Castlevania DS games are the best games for the DS so far. You can arguably say Mario Kart for multiplayer, but seriously those are the best two. Amazing music as well.

I'm quite awful at Castlevania DS. Nice music though. My favorite DS series has to be Elite Beat Agents along with their Japanese siblings (Ouendan). I could play those forever.

How long did it take for you to get bored of it?

I really tried to like the game, but eventually lost interest after an hour or two. Some of the music is pretty nice, but otherwise the game's a generic kart racer, and a bad one at that. All the characters and places are boring and bland. Gameplay is slightly innovative with touch screen tricks, but ultimately unbalanced and unresponsive.

I really liked the N64 SBK games. Hopefully they'll show up on Wii's Virtual Console soon.

So my L-button on my DS phat just doesn't work at all anymore. I think somehow a grain of sand got stuck in the connection. Any recommendations? (Basically should I send it to Nintendo to get it repaired, and if so, how much does that cost - or do I have other options? I really don't want to get a new DS.)

Also, just in case no one's mentioned it yet, Call of Duty DS looks AMAZING. It's even better news that the controls are more or less identical to Hunters, which I always thought people complained about too much - I thought the Hunters controls were very comfortable, smooth, and even efficient.

So my L-button on my DS phat just doesn't work at all anymore. I think somehow a grain of sand got stuck in the connection. Any recommendations? (Basically should I send it to Nintendo to get it repaired, and if so, how much does that cost - or do I have other options? I really don't want to get a new DS.)
Ninty will fix it free.

Also, just in case no one's mentioned it yet, Call of Duty DS looks AMAZING. It's even better news that the controls are more or less identical to Hunters, which I always thought people complained about too much - I thought the Hunters controls were very comfortable, smooth, and even efficient.

Agreed on both counts. CoD looks awesome, especially since it's modern warfare. Hunters controls are perfect for the DS. I'm really hoping to see more FPS games on the DS with those same controls.

Well, I didn't care for the controls in Metroid Hunters but that's not what killed the game for me. I just flat out couldn't see what was happening comfortably. It's too much of a strain on my eyes to focus on shooting fast moving targets in 3-D on a screen the size of my hand. I had to give up on that game.

I just beat Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. I estimate it took me about 25 hours to beat. Mind you, that's probably like 20 if I didn't have to spend time translating ;-). That's still a good length for it I think. There aren't as many dungeons as say, LttP, but there's lots of stuff outside the dungeons you have to do. And unlike Wind Waker, those kind of out-of-dungeon tasks don't feel as meaningless. Control mechanics are pretty good too, and the touch screen is integrated very well. Final battle wasn't disappointing either, although like all Zelda games, it could've been a little harder.

I recommend it to anyone who's considering buying it. Solid game.

Anyone playing Heroes of Mana or Luminous Arc? I picked up both last week, and am especially enjoying Luminous Arc. Some of the characters are annoying, but I'm enjoying it more than Final Fantasy Tactics, mainly because you don't have any choice over which class a character is, so you don't run into the "I have 30 classes, which should I make and when?" thing.

Heroes of Mana does have some pathing problems, like the reviewer on gamespot mentioned, but I'd hardly call it a 5.5/10. I haven't played it as much as Luminous Arc so far, but both are good.

Jam Sessions looks like a neat idea. What'll sell me is palette swapping. I'd ideally want to put 8 chords on a palette, plus if you hit the left shoulder trigger, it swaps to the next palette you define. It's obviously not written for jazz guitar, but only 8 chords per song seems too limiting to me.

I've played the Japanese version of Jam sessions and it seems a little limited. It's just chords. I suppose that's enough for some people but I think that it should have chords AND individual notes AND the ability to record songs with both. Otherwise that toy shouldn't be more than $14.99 U.S. dollars. And it doesn't look like they are adding much for the new release. And there's a Disney game coming out that blows Jam Sessions away in terms of features. What!

I played Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Ring of Fates and it seems pretty good. You don't get to choose your own character but that's because of the increased focus on story. But I don't know Japanese so whatever. They added some interesting combat moves like grabbing enemies and somehow whaling on them with your sword while holding them above your head (or holding on from below if it is a flying enemy). And it is nice that there is no longer such a ridiculous delay between pressing the button and actually attacking. Was it possible to jump in the gamecube Crystal Chronicles? I don't remember, but you get to jump and do some platforming on the DS version. I liked the Gamecube version but from what I've played Ring of Fates may well be a lot better.

I've played the Japanese version of Jam sessions and it seems a little limited. It's just chords. I suppose that's enough for some people but I think that it should have chords AND individual notes AND the ability to record songs with both. Otherwise that toy shouldn't be more than $14.99 U.S. dollars. And it doesn't look like they are adding much for the new release. And there's a Disney game coming out that blows Jam Sessions away in terms of features. What!

I played Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Ring of Fates and it seems pretty good. You don't get to choose your own character but that's because of the increased focus on story. But I don't know Japanese so whatever. They added some interesting combat moves like grabbing enemies and somehow whaling on them with your sword while holding them above your head (or holding on from below if it is a flying enemy). And it is nice that there is no longer such a ridiculous delay between pressing the button and actually attacking. Was it possible to jump in the gamecube Crystal Chronicles? I don't remember, but you get to jump and do some platforming on the DS version. I liked the Gamecube version but from what I've played Ring of Fates may well be a lot better.

Nope, you weren't able to jump in FF:CC. Anyway, sounds cool. With the increased focus on the story/single-player mode, though, I wonder if/how the multiplayer will suffer.