Nintendo DS

The Damned

Bah. Wake me up when they have Chrono Trigger (near-direct port or new 3D remake).

If they try to recreate Chrono Trigger all they'll do is saturate it with all the crap I hate about Final Fantasy games and lose the magic that made it so good. No offense to FF fans. I think a port to DS or VC (ideally) is probably the best option.

Nah. I want it on DS. Just put the menus on the touch screen (with basic touch control) and leave the rest of the game alone.

Yeah, that sounds good in theory. But once they put it on DS, they'd have to do other things to convince people to buy it for $30, unless they sold it for even more like FFIII (God forbid). So then after tweaking, the result would be extra dungeons added at the end, an easier difficulty (:roll:), lag in some animations, and big cutscenes that take 10 seconds to load. Maybe some new spells and combos. Sounds great and all, but I'd rather spend 800 Wii points than $30+.

Then again, portable Chrono Trigger ... mmm tasty. More than anything, I guess I'm afraid they'd mess it up too much.

Yeah, that sounds good in theory. But once they put it on DS, they'd have to do other things to convince people to buy it for $30, unless they sold it for even more like FFIII (God forbid). So then after tweaking, the result would be extra dungeons added at the end, an easier difficulty (:roll:), lag in some animations, and big cutscenes that take 10 seconds to load. Maybe some new spells and combos. Sounds great and all, but I'd rather spend 800 Wii points than $30+.

Then again, portable Chrono Trigger ... mmm tasty. More than anything, I guess I'm afraid they'd mess it up too much.

The only other option is to get a flash card and a ROM of Chrono Trigger. The carts are roughly the same price as a game, sometimes up to a hundred bucks.

The only other option is to get a flash card and a ROM of Chrono Trigger. The carts are roughly the same price as a game, sometimes up to a hundred bucks.

Either way you'd sacrifice a lot of sound quality, and there's two reasons that immediately gets rid of any reason I'd want a portable CT (obviously though if it were the only option then I'd get it anyway, but):

1. All the music would be muffled, tinny, and just bad sounding in general, and the music is extremely important to the mood in that game.

2. The sound for Luminaire would get screwed up! That's one of the best sounds in a video game ever.

Either way you'd sacrifice a lot of sound quality, and there's two reasons that immediately gets rid of any reason I'd want a portable CT (obviously though if it were the only option then I'd get it anyway, but):

1. All the music would be muffled, tinny, and just bad sounding in general, and the music is extremely important to the mood in that game.

2. The sound for Luminaire would get screwed up! That's one of the best sounds in a video game ever.

How would the music be muffled? The DS has excellent sound quality. I use it as an MP3 player, and it sounds just perfect. If there was anything I would be worried about with a remake of any game on the DS, sound would not be it.

Well, Square already said that they aren't going to release their games on VC - because they can make more money by doing remakes or repacking the old games, etc.

In other words, Square sucks a big corroded nut sack.

In other words, they're interested in profit? Hell, I'd rather buy a portable remake than a VC version - portables are the only way I got myself to actually play all the way through FF5 and 6, I just couldn't do it originally when I had the ROMs. I'd bet the same will happen with Chrono Trigger - if I could get it portable, I'd end up actually playing it all the way through.

I think the bottom line--if I'm not mistaken--is that SNES emulation on the DS is still in its infancy.

See http://dev-scene.com/NDS/Emulators for a list of emulators and their progress.

I think the bottom line--if I'm not mistaken--is that SNES emulation on the DS is still in its infancy.

See http://dev-scene.com/NDS/Emulators for a list of emulators and their progress.

More specifically, Chrono Trigger doesn't run well and has issues with sprites freaking out during animation. I would imagine there are similar issues in all games.

Never played Bangai-O before. From what I've read, it's been on the N64 and Dreamcast. I think it has a cult following or something.

Anyways, it's coming out on DS

trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDbdllvdvfw

That video makes me want this game badly.

Oh shi-

Bangai-O was goddamn brilliant. Basically, a staple-your-nuts-to-the-wall action shooter where you had a death machine capable of two different attack forms (I believe one shot faster, the other ricocheted off walls) and an infinite-use special attack. The catch to the special? It varied in power based on how many bullets there were on screen and how close they were to hitting you. Use it with nothing on screen and a piddly two missiles pop out. Use it when there are 30 bullets less than 4 pixels from you and it unleashes a 300-volley cascade of death to clear the screen.

Couple that with the ability to fly in 8 directions while shooting independent of your movement, tons of enemies on every level, and enough zaniness to make Excel Saga look like a soap opera and you have BANGAI-O!!

Do want.