Nintendo DS

The Damned

So... I finally got Dementium: The Ward.

If you don't know, Dementium is a FPS zombie survival game. Think Silent Hill/Resident Evil in form, but Half-Life in function.

And despite getting some pretty damn good reviews from various sites, it still seems to slip under people's radar. In fact, most of the places I went to looking for it said they never heard of it.

Top screen shows the action, bottom screen is your aim, health display, menu, map, weapon select and notepad. You can write down stuff you come across (when I got the notepad, it said "why did you do it?!?!", to which I automatically wrote "for the lulz"). Handy feature, as clues are not saved for you in anyway.

Music and sound are subtle. Most of the time, you aren't really noticing it. Even the heartbeat from your health meter isn't really there. But monster screams are solid. You know there's something in the room with you from the start.

I'm only into the third chapter (which judging from the meager map I have, which is only two of seven floors, and only of one half of the total building, is nowhere near the end), but I have found that it is actually pretty decent.

The developers recommend playing with headphones, and I can see why. It's more... enclosing. Play it in the dark, with the door locked. That way the cat can't jump up on you when you're trying to explore a blood-smeared maternity ward. Fucking cat...

The difficulty level seems to jump a bit at times. Until you get the first firearm, you're going to take damage a lot. Luckily, there are lots of pill bottles to restore your health. Big gripe: you can't take them with you. If you need to restore your health, you have to go back to wherever you saw one last, and zombies repopulate the rooms you just left sometimes. But then once you have the gun, the zombies seem to die to good old fashioned smashing a lot easier.

And those fucking screaming flying head things... expect to die the first time you bump into them. Several times, actually. Just avoid them if you can.

All in all, it seems to be pretty much what one can expect. It's a zombie shooter in a freaky hospital at night, loaded with dark hallways and little puzzles to advance your way scattered about. The fact that it's on the DS makes it stand out a lot more.

So... I finally got Dementium: The Ward.

If you don't know, Dementium is a FPS zombie survival game. Think Silent Hill/Resident Evil in form, but Half-Life in function.

And despite getting some pretty damn good reviews from various sites, it still seems to slip under people's radar. In fact, most of the places I went to looking for it said they never heard of it.

I've never heard of it, but I'll check it out.

Some of my favorite DS games, like Izuna, have been under the radar.

In other news, I (reluctantly) subscribe to the hmv.co.uk e-newsletter and they recently ran this graphic--staring Nicole Kidman no less:

kidman_ds_lol.jpg

Since the image is in tables, the above pic is a screen grab but here's the original message.

lol. horizontal flipping ftw.

The developers recommend playing with headphones, and I can see why. It's more... enclosing. Play it in the dark, with the door locked. That way the cat can't jump up on you when you're trying to explore a blood-smeared maternity ward. Fucking cat...

Haha. While not directly related, it reminds me of when I was getting my non-gamer friend into StarFox 64. She was so engrossed that when my dog poked her in the back with her nose, she screamed and half-threw the controller.

I know the game has just about zero chance for localization, but the one DS game I anticipate the most (yes, above FFTA2, FFXII Revenant and all those big names) is a soccer RPG game.

it's called and it's developed by Level 5 which lives by its RPG creed (and underrated all around) and the music will feature Yasunori Mitsuda. And its voice acting includes Junko Takeuchi (Naruto) and other top notch voice actors.

This could turn out to be one of the best sports RPGs ever released. And finally a really strange, PS2-esque super project under the radar.

• 2 weeks later...

I shouldn't have to do this, but Bumpage.

Last week there were a ton of decent DS games to look into.

Mario Party DS, Bomberman Story DS (the first good non-traditional Bomberman game I've played), and FF XII Renevant Wings. I don't know what to think about that one; anyone have it yet?

I also just got Looney Tunes: Duck Amuck. It's not as good as I thought it would be...

New Nanostray 2 trailer. I missed out on the first one, but I'll definitely pick this one up. Also, wtf @ 35 seconds, is that a Metroid?

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/27510.html

there is nothing to actually "miss out" on in the first one. I bought it, beat it once, and havent touched it since. i believe it came out in '05

i'm actually surprised as hell theyre making a new one