Nintendo DS

The Damned

The Penny Arcade guys apparently are pretty frustrated at the difficulty of Professor Layton puzzles. I guess it's typical for non puzzle gamers.

Also, I find myself stuck with Advance Wars Day of Ruin in my DS at all times again. I always keep thinking I'm going to hate the next Advance Wars but end up playing it all the time. I love the quick and easy online play, but I hate how you can't buy stuff and stock up on insane powers like with Advance Wars DS.

Anybody get Apollo Justice yet? I'm just finishing up Phoenix Wright 3 tonight and wondering if the new stories, characters and gameplay justify the price to buy it new (seeing as I got all the Phoenix Wright games discounted/used).

I thought it was a tad on the easy side. There's touches of new gameplay but much more of the same old. The characters are really written and the sprites convey emotion well. I play it for the case-solving and the story. If you're not dying to play it for the those then you could hold of I'd think.

I went ahead and got it anyway, since I was there to reserve Brawl and had some extra credit.

Also, about the ending of Phoenix Wright 3: the game was, throughout, entertaining. However, at the end of the fourth case and the very beginning of the fifth case I really thought the whole thing would just fizzle out, which was disappointing to me after all the hype about how well it concludes the series. Safe to say, though, that the last case progressively blew my mind again and again. My conclusion is that there is no reason for anyone to avoid playing all three of those games. Together, they are nigh unto perfection.

I went ahead and got it anyway, since I was there to reserve Brawl and had some extra credit.

Also, about the ending of Phoenix Wright 3: the game was, throughout, entertaining. However, at the end of the fourth case and the very beginning of the fifth case I really thought the whole thing would just fizzle out, which was disappointing to me after all the hype about how well it concludes the series. Safe to say, though, that the last case progressively blew my mind again and again. My conclusion is that there is no reason for anyone to avoid playing all three of those games. Together, they are nigh unto perfection.

I don't think most Phoenix Wright fans would agree it was close to perfect. There is some gap in quality between the silly/totally-useless filler episodes to the most dramatic ones.

PW3's final case was great, except the very end just went around in circles with Godot a bit. To me, Apollo Justice is nice because it tries to deviate from the main characters. I think the gameplay really has nowhere to go at this point though. I still think the final case in Phoenix Wright 1 was how it always should have been. Challenging and you actually needed a bit more investigative skills than usual.

I don't like phoenix wright games. I think I'm the only one though. I really enjoyed Hotel Dusk but I just can't really stomach Ace Attorney. I've given it a bunch of chances because the story and characters seem cool but I can't get into the gameplay.

I don't like phoenix wright games. I think I'm the only one though. I really enjoyed Hotel Dusk but I just can't really stomach Ace Attorney. I've given it a bunch of chances because the story and characters seem cool but I can't get into the gameplay.

>:(

I can understand why you wouldn't like it...I love the series and sometimes I just gets annoying, gameplay wise of course.

I just finished Apollo Justice, and I can't believe that I'm about to say this, but there was a GameFAQs review that got it right: "This is still Phoenix's story."

The storytelling continues to be top-notch, though I must agree with whoever mentioned a quality gap between certain cases (the middle cases, as usual, are not quite as good).

The new characters are all very cool, and Trucy is especially endearing (and not nearly as annoying as Maya).

Gafgarion, take a look at ZX Advent -- it's even better.

I just finished Apollo Justice, and I can't believe that I'm about to say this, but there was a GameFAQs review that got it right: "This is still Phoenix's story."

Damn, how'd you beat it that fast?

I've been paying all the AA games in succession since July and am only on the 3rd case of Trials & Tribulations! But I've already decided not to rush through it to get to AJ. The cases seem to be more intricate this time around and I want to take my time and enjoy them.

Okay, I've come to the inevitable conclusion that when an Orc Lord, through the swap of a single jewel, executes a 7-move cascade, not once, but TWICE in a row, that there is some chicanery about within the circuitry of PuzzleQuest! God f%ckit, and I was about to crush that bastard's skull in!

Damn, how'd you beat it that fast?

I've been paying all the AA games in succession since July and am only on the 3rd case of Trials & Tribulations! But I've already decided not to rush through it to get to AJ. The cases seem to be more intricate this time around and I want to take my time and enjoy them.

You'll enjoy the end of AA3 immensely. In any case, I just went through AJ like I do a good novel: entire nights consumed by it. Still, it was absolutely brilliant writing, and I can't wait for the next one!

Dude, awesome. I was going to buy it after I beat ZX anyway, but now you really want me to buy it. Does it continue from the last game?

The main heroes from ZX put in an appearance, but it's new heroes and a new Megaman model you play as. Still, quality gaming all around (I think there's 12 different bots you can eventually morph into, if you're curious).

• 2 weeks later...

Crystal Chronicles, anybody out there also grab this gem? I'm enjoying it way more than the GC one (I'm even playing on my own!), there's no pot duty, moving through the game world is easier, the VO work is surprisingly well done, and I'm actually enjoying the story.

Only complaint is that it's looking like it'll be too short, but a + game feature will likely extend my playtime.

So, I'm looking to pick up a good, deep, engrossing DS game.

So far my options seem limited to Layton and Days of Ruin. Advice? Layton seems cool, but I think the puzzles may annoy me after awhile. I'm worried that Days of Ruin will get difficult to the point where I will become frustrated and quit.

Suggestions?