Nintendo DS

The Damned

it seems like this news is only really pertinent for the japanese - not much hope for the states.

the music player is nice - not so sure about using the camera.

it also supposed to have a bigger screen too

more info: http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/09/28/rumor-new-ds-to-feature-camera-music-playback-sd-slot/#more-44916

New DS with built-in camera and SD card, supports musics, blah, blah, blah. May be DS 2.0, may be new system altogether.

Aaaaaaand, discuss!

You mean 3.0 How easily people forget...

nintendo_ds.jpg

Considering any flash card (R4, CycloOne, etc.) will let you play music via MicroSD and let you use homebrew to do cool online things, I guess it'll come down to the exclusive games for me. Although that second article did promise a bigger screen...

Actually, the DS doesn't handle N64 games very well at all. Mario 64 DS had to be redone from the ground up. Lots of people seem to think that the DS is a portable N64, when that couldn't be farther from the truth. It's a bad comparison.

While there are games that are visually equivalent to the N64, the two have very different hardware.

NES, SNES and Gameboy games, sure... but anything else is going to require massive reprogramming or complete redoes to make it work.

I just bought three DS games during GameStop's buy 2 get 1 free sale this weekend. I bought Disgaea, Trauma Center 2, and LEGO Indiana Jones for $48.xx. (All originally $24.99)

(I work at the GameStop, so as soon as some crazy person traded in Disgaea, my manager put it in the "hold" drawer knowing I'd want it without me even being there.)

I finally removed Civ Rev to put in LEGO Indy (so I can finish it and return it within 7 days to buy used Okami Wii instead) and it's a pretty fun little action game. The LEGO games are so great for little kids because it has great action and decent problems to solve without having too much violence or text. And while I'm sure an 8-year-old would love finding everything and getting to 100% completion, I'm planning on just playing through it once and getting rid of it, just so I can say I've played it. (INDY series is not my favorite)

I'm still super stoked I found a used Disgaea DS only 4 days after it came out.

Downloading games is how companies that make good games go out of business.

Fuck you and your flash cart. Seriously. I'm not kidding.

A lot of people I know who do this only download games they wouldn't have bought anyway. In those cases nobody loses money and nobody gains money. I'd say the portion who download everything are the actual problem. And frankly, people who download games aren't going to care if you're angry on the internet, so why bother?

So I recently picked up an R4, and it is truly a device every hardcore DS fan must have. I downloaded pokemon platinum, and it already seems better than diamond and pearl, despite that I can't read Japanese.

I've been looking for an R4 for a while now (I'm a fan of home brews and the possibility of apps for my DS, like a very limited MP3 player), but they're really expensive where I live.

As for the pirating:

Having a ROM of a game isn't the same as having the game. Tetris DS is fun and all, but having the actual cart is amazing, even if for bragging rights. And honestly, if you only try it out but wouldn't've bought it anyway, then what's the point of downloading it if you knew you weren't going to buy it? That kinda seems like downloading something just because you can, and not because it's something you can't normally do.

It is my assumption that those who download "games they wouldn't have bought" are using it like a rental service, to dispel (or confirm) the hype and reviews they've seen about a game before deciding whether to purchase it.

That's kind of a cheapo reason, because there's legitimate ways to go about that like GameFly and Gamerang. Flashcarts are for the stuff that you'll never have access to otherwise, like a DS IRC client, or an English version of Jump Ultimate Stars.

Downloading games is how companies that make good games go out of business.

no actually most of the companies that make awesome games and go out of business are because nobody buys the games at all because people are too busy playing fucking halo and pokemon

WHY DIDN'T ANYBODY BUY PSYCHONAUTS GOD DAMN