Nintendo DS

The Damned

I've been loving the DSi since it came out; the size and camera have been my two favourite bits. Also, having tried both the old (and very terrible) DS Lite browser, and the new DSi browser, I can safely say that the new one is actually decent. Sure its not mind breaking, but compared to the old one (which was lucky if it actually loaded a page at times, even with the memory expansion), its nice to be able to look at some websites on the go without the need for a laptop.

I just wish there were more DSiWare games available!

I got a giant, pretty obvious scratch on my original DS. I really don't care tbh.

Same here, but mine came with the scratch when I bought it (huzzah for $90 DS!)(it was actually a new one, surprisingly), but I still somehow got full trade price (i.e. more than I paid for it) when I got my DS lite.

• 1 month later...

So I've been wanting a DS for a while. I've sort of been waiting for the Lite to drop in price after the DSi was released, but that never happened, and I just got my tax return so I'm planning to just suck it up and by a DS with it.

The question is, should I get a DS Lite or a DSi? I don't have any version of the DS at all right now, so it's not a question of "upgrading". The DSi costs like $50 more than the Lite and loses the GBA slot (which would be nice to have, but I have a GBA SP that still works fine, so it's not all that big a loss), and adds some cameras, a microphone, and from what I hear a small increase in general quality (bigger, brighter screen, better buttons and controls, etc), plus the DSiWare thing and a slot for SD cards to put stuff (including music, IIRC?) on.

So is it worth it? It seems like the DSi is trying really hard to be an all-in-one type of thing (ie camera, music player, internet browser, etc) but that's not really what I'm interested in. I just want to play DS games. I've heard talk of DSi exclusive games in the future -- does that just refer to DSiWare (which I've heard is generally pretty unimpressive), or what? If the Lite got cheaper I'd pick it up in a heartbeat, but I'm tired of waiting for a price drop that may never happen, and I'm wondering if the DSi is worth the $40 extra it costs.

So I've been wanting a DS for a while. I've sort of been waiting for the Lite to drop in price after the DSi was released, but that never happened, and I just got my tax return so I'm planning to just suck it up and by a DS with it.

The question is, should I get a DS Lite or a DSi? I don't have any version of the DS at all right now, so it's not a question of "upgrading". The DSi costs like $50 more than the Lite and loses the GBA slot (which would be nice to have, but I have a GBA SP that still works fine, so it's not all that big a loss), and adds some cameras, a microphone, and from what I hear a small increase in general quality (bigger, brighter screen, better buttons and controls, etc), plus the DSiWare thing and a slot for SD cards to put stuff (including music, IIRC?) on.

So is it worth it? It seems like the DSi is trying really hard to be an all-in-one type of thing (ie camera, music player, internet browser, etc) but that's not really what I'm interested in. I just want to play DS games. I've heard talk of DSi exclusive games in the future -- does that just refer to DSiWare (which I've heard is generally pretty unimpressive), or what? If the Lite got cheaper I'd pick it up in a heartbeat, but I'm tired of waiting for a price drop that may never happen, and I'm wondering if the DSi is worth the $40 extra it costs.

I haven't had any personal experience with the DSi, so I can't say for sure, but it might be worth it for the upgraded controls. The DS is my favorite game system to come out since the PS2, but the DS lite has very cheap and crappy controls. Way worse then even the original DS and PSP. Awful d-pad and buttons, OK shoulder buttons, and the worst standard start/select buttons I've EVER used in over 20 years of gaming. The DSi seems to fix these problems, so if you are planning to use your DS a lot (I've used mine for many hundreds of hours personally), 40 bucks might be worth it for the control upgrades alone. Think of the bigger screen and other extras as just gravy.

Wow, I didn't realize that the DS Lite controls were quite that bad. I mostly wanted to make sure the DSi didn't have any crippling minor flaws like that. I talked to BardicKnowledge on #ocremix and it sounds like the DSi is the way to go. It's not that much extra cash, and since my SP still works fine the loss of the GBA slot isn't that big a deal.

I've heard it's pretty easy to scratch up your touch screen with certain games, though (Elite Beat Agents -- one I'm definitely interested in getting -- was mentioned specifically). I read back a few pages in this thread and there's mention of screen protectors. Anyone use one? Know specific brands to look for or avoid? Third-party accessories like that always vary hugely in quality, so if anyone has any experience with that one way or another it'd be a huge help.

I use Hori protectors, which have lasted me more than a year so far. I've been considering upgrading to the kind you glue onto the DS to make it scratchproof, for which Zagg and ClearProtector seem to be the main vendors.

I've honestly never had a problem with the DS Lite controls...Mustin has only himself to blame for having ham hands. :< I really prefer the softer controls over the clicky buttons on the Phat. Not to mention the ridiculously powerful backlight is a frickin' GODSEND for GBA games, and you'll be patting yourself on the back when you get that urge to play Circle of the Moon in the car on a sunny day and you can actually SEE what's going on.

DS Lite has the worst D-Pad I've ever used. I litterally can not get Bum/Phantom Rush blitz in Final Fantasy VI Advance to work on the DS Lite. I can only do it when playing on my GBA/GameCube adapter.

So just a heads up there. Worst D-Pad ever.

Get a DSi, what with its better controls and play FF6 Advance on tha--oh wait.

To be perfectly fair the DSi pretty much nailed the buttons and D-pad if you like the precision of the clicky buttons without the flatness and annoyingness of the original DS's. In fact it seems they nailed a lot of things, after toying around with my roommate's for a few hours. I still just wish they didn't remove that damned GBA slot.

Native Jovian, if you don't mind the lack of a GBA slot get the DSi. It's worth the purchase.

Regarding screen protectors:

The brand doesn't matter too much IMO (although Hori's are the best), but I wouldn't advise for any permanent ones. Instead, just make sure to buy a bunch if any go on sale. I use GameStop ones because I get a discount and they're the easiest to find. I scratched my screen protector once playing The World Ends With You, but I just peeled it off and applied a new one. Original screen is still good as new.

Also, make sure you get correctly-sized screen protectors that fit your model of DS system.