Nintendo DS

The Damned

I've played more, and I'd say, "only if you like old-school RPGs". Dungeons are all mazes and everyone keeps cooking up dumb reasons to not stick together, which contributes more to the difficulty than most anything else. There's an item limit of 15 per character, including equips, which can spell trouble when enemies just cast status magic constantly.

So it's a challenge, but the difficulty is anything but smooth. Fun game, though.

Well, I've beaten Final Fantasy 1 numerous times, so I'm well-used to such conventions, and am a fan of the old FFs.

I guess I better open up my amazon account.

EDIT:

Well I went and ordered it.

I HOPE I MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE.

An interesting video is hidden on the European website for The Last Window (UK and Japan-only sequel to Hotel Dusk) that showcases how exactly they achieved the hand-drawn animated style of the characters in the game.

Click on the 'Music Preview' tab, then look for the 'Behind the Scenes' tab in the new menu. :) Enjoy!

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/games/nds/last_window_the_secret_of_cape_west_18683.html

• 2 weeks later...

OH MY HOLY HELL, WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO KILL A BOSS IN 4 HEROES.

I have tried fighting both Asmodeus and Leviathan, and both feature a ridiculous difficulty spike the likes of which I never thought I'd need to face.

Asmodeus can nail you with basically any ailment he likes. His physical attacks poison, he can cast blind and petrify, and he's got a skill that confuses, silences, and paralyzes, in addition to sizable chunks of damage. And it only gets worse as the battle goes on.

Leviathan gets FOUR turns per round, his physical attacks can insta-kill, and he casts Thundaga, which can paralyze and hits everyone. He's also got ridiculous gobfuls of HP, and has a total party kill attack.

I thought I was doing alright, upgrading my stuff and picking the best equipment for the battles, but even THAT doesn't save me. I'm losing my mind, here!

Back to the grind?

Yeesh, you probably have to get different armor/magic/crowns set up so you can better withstand their attacks. That's the general playbook for games like this.

I'll have to say that although I'm not too far, I'm really loving this game. Aside from a few times where my healers healed people I did NOT want healed, everything works fine, and i love the old-schoolness, from the story to the layout to everything.

Well, except the item limit. Feel that's kinda gay, but whatever.

I am pleasantly surprised with my purchase, because (as my previous posts in this thread indicate), I was so sure this game was going to blow, hard.

• 3 weeks later...

So, SKJmin from GBAtemp has created a patch for New Super Mario Bros. that replaces everything with Super Mario Bros. 3, and then some. Star Coins are hidden in brand new places for each level, new secret exits in some stages lead to cameo stages from other Mario titles, and everything feels extremely polished.

Check the GBAtemp post for the download!

Also,

for the game. It's sick -- if your DS is homebrew enabled you need to get this NOW.

Edit: Mods, I'm under the impression that .ips and .xdelta patch linking is acceptable if the host site doesn't also host rom images, yes?

that really does suck that we are not getting the Hotel Dusk sequel. It's one of my favorite DS games. If i remember it was pretty well received, I think someone in EGM gave it a 10. You could always just import the European one. Playasia has it for $50 and NCSX has it for like $68, which is ridiculous. I'll probably end up importing. I remember reading awhile back that at the end of the DS's life span (when 3DS comes out) that they are going to release a bunch of games that never made it over here, in like a last ditch effort to spur interest in regular DS games. Anyone heard any truth to that? I know a couple years ago there was an import initiative at bestbuy (I think?). I remember seeing Jump All Stars, or Jump Ultimate Stars for sale in the states.

• 2 weeks later...
So, SKJmin from GBAtemp has created a patch for New Super Mario Bros. that replaces everything with Super Mario Bros. 3, and then some. Star Coins are hidden in brand new places for each level, new secret exits in some stages lead to cameo stages from other Mario titles, and everything feels extremely polished.

Had a lot of fun with this over the weekend. It's interesting how he finds substitutes for all the things in SMB3 missing from the DS game (like some enemies, platform movements and A WAY TO FLY...).

But anyway, it's harder too. The second half of 5-1 kicked my ass about 10x harder that its SMB3 counterpart. A lot has been added to the game; this patch isn't so much of a SMB3 remake as is it a remix.

Had a lot of fun with this over the weekend. It's interesting how he finds substitutes for all the things in SMB3 missing from the DS game (like some enemies, platform movements and A WAY TO FLY...).

But anyway, it's harder too. The second half of 5-1 kicked my ass about 10x harder that its SMB3 counterpart. A lot has been added to the game; this patch isn't so much of a SMB3 remake as is it a remix.

harder than smb3?

fuck

that

So I'm at the big tree in FF Heroes of Light, trying to figure out where to go to heal my teammate who has caught a bad case of the plant.

I don't wanna use a guide because I want to prove my greatness as a gamer.

I will say this though, this is probably the best Final Fantasy I've played since X. Or maybe III, if you count the DS release.

In any event, there hasn't been a FF that's been enjoyable like this has for a loooooong time.