Nintendo DS

The Damned

What? We have a Wii thread, but not a DS thread? And by DS thread, I don't mean one about playing online games. Sory, but that one has gone far off its original point.

Pokemon Diamond/Pearl

Any way, here's some screenshots from a game that I have been waiting for info on for months.

http://www.serebii.net/diamondpearl/pics.shtml

Not that big a jump graphicly from RSE/FiLe, but at least they finally showed us something. Most games usually let out a few pics here or there after half a year. It's been over a year. Almost two, I think.

Now, most people will say "pokeymon, LOL!" (and I fully expect someone to, right after this) and go back to the SSBB thread. And that's fine. But remember, Pokemon singlehandedly saved the Gameboy back in the mid 90s in Japan, and really boosted sales in North America in the late 90s. The GBA versions broke records on number of sold copies, and made Nintendo a lot of money. And while the DS isn't hurting from the PSP, it will see yet another boost from these games. It's a simple fact: Pokemon sells.

Back on topic... It seems that the overall graphic design is mostly the same, even though we're dealing with far more powerful hardware from ten years ago. But that's not the biggest issue. The biggest issue is the writting and plot.

How many times can you run into Team "Insert Word Here", beat them up a few times, and then they just give up and go away? Even the last games had the same premise, but slightly improved.

Starfox

Next, we have the new Starfox. It's fucking Starfox! On the DS! You should know about this by now! Jesus christ, if you don't check it out at any of your favorite gaming sites.

Casltevania: Portrait of Rain

Another Castlevania game, another reason to buy a DS. Two characters to play this time, at the same time. More touch-screen usage as well. IGN, 1UP.com, everybody has this game covered.

Kirby DS

Sucks. Haa haa, just kidding. It's supposed to be a lot more like the usual Kirby games. Some have found fault with this, others praise it for returning to the tried-and-true format. Either way, it's more of the same pink-puffball goodness we all know and love.

This time, the touch-screen is used to actvate and combine items inside of Kirby's belly. Sounds sort of weird, yes, but think about combining two different attacks you've sucked up and saved for later. Suddenly, you have more powerful and varied attacks at your disposal.

Mario Hoops 3-on-3 Hands-on

SquarEnix made a street B-ball game for the DS. I'm somewhat surprised by this.

Lunar Knights

Sounds interesting, but I was never able to play either of the GBA games.I like the idea of time and weather effecting gameplay. I wonder if it will run off of the internal DS clock and calender for this, or if it will just randomly generate it.

There are a lot of DS games coming out this year, and most of them are being shown at this years E3. I'm actually happy (seriously, I am smiling as I read the reviews and comments on these titles) about the future of portable gaming. I've always been a huge portable fan, ever since I was given a Gameboy back in 1990 as a gift. All the way up to now, I still have a major preference over consoles (although I do own and play them), and I think I'll end up buyng whatever portable comes out after the DS.

Anyone else notice any DS games that have been overlooked or need more praise?

I'm pretty sure there's no DS thread because it was expected that such information would be passed around in the Nintendo thread. Even though it says "Wii" in the topic, I'm pretty sure it's open for discussion of almost all things Nintendo. In fact, all of those games you mentioned (except the Pokemon pics and Lunar Knights) were already mentioned in there. Of course, I'm sure a mod will come by, and correct me on that. Mouser X out.

I'm pretty sure there's no DS thread because it was expected that such information would be passed around in the Nintendo thread. Even though it says "Wii" in the topic, I'm pretty sure it's open for discussion of almost all things Nintendo. In fact, all of those games you mentioned (except the Pokemon pics and Lunar Knights) were already mentioned in there. Of course, I'm sure a mod will come by, and correct me on that. Mouser X out.

No, this thread is fine.

You suck for minimodding and ARE BANNED!!! :twisted::twisted::twisted:

just kidding ^____________^

HOWEVER! I am going to edit the topic title to conform to my awesome squarebracketformatting.

Hmmm... I see that Elite Beat Agents is the sequal to Ouden... or whatever the hell it's called. That game where a bunch of guys cherrlead you to doing better, by tapping the screen in time with certain beats and lights.

And it's in english, so that means it's coming out here.

I have a friend that was thinking of spending $100 on an imported copy from a store in town. I think he'll enjoy this news (and the price) a lot more.

Who wants to bet Cloud is a playable character in Mario Hoops? ;)
:lol:

The DS+Wii hurts my pockets. I don't even want to think about the PS3 :(

My thoughts exactly.

Personally, I'm looking forward to Phantom Hourglass, New Super Mario Bros, Final Fantasy III, and then of course all those games that are already out, as soon as I get my DS Lite. Not necessarily in that order.

HAA! Fools! I knew that things might turn out this way! That's why I put a significant portion of my tax refund in a "Buy Video Games Later" fund (namely my saving account which I never use anyway), which I will then use to buy not only a DS Lite, but a Wii as well. And several games for each! HAAAA HAAA HAAAA!

Saving up is hard to do, but not when the government gives you money for filling out some paperwork.

Heck, I almost got Pokemon Sapphire. But then my brother was all...

**dons cap and sleek british teenage male voice**

"oh my God, Pokemon is a baby game. don't get that shit, you're too old for that. getting red and gold is a big mistake i wont forget. if you get it, youll be embaressed out of hell."

**puts cap away**

And so, with the money that I was hoping to use to purchase Sapphire, I bought Sonic Advance 2 instead. Oh well, I'm sure emulation will do suffice.

Considering Diamond and Pearl though, I actually see the graphics to offer a fair improvement from the screenshots I saw for the GBA Pokemon titles. But the gameplay remains to be seen as to make me wonder whether it will still cater for younger gamers or when it will be able to make like Red/Blue and appeal to a wider demograph. Nonetheless, it looks interesting.

Also, as part of the "Let me pimp a game that people haven't thought of" clan, I should point out Crash Boom Bang! as something to look into if party games are more of your fetish.

Yes, yes, I know, there's some of you that aren't very fond of the Crash Bandicoot series for one way or another, and I in particular seemed to fall more skeptical over some of Vivendi's choices for development teams since Naughty Dog moved on, but I actually feel more in for this one. With Dimps (the development team for Sonic Rush) making the game this time as well as adding their own creative contributions on making this worthwhile, I think I'd be seeing into a more promising title in the series for quite a while.

Here's my fingers crossed that it remains that way up to its release this October and/or they don't upset the rabid Crunch fangirl demograph with their render of said character.

Yoshi's Island 2 (please just use the same old graphics from the SNES version, please... that would be so cool), Kirby DS (combining stuff in Crystal Shards was AWESOME, plus the exploration of Superstar... I'm in. Just put in multiplayer and I'm happy), Starfox (KILLSLIPPYKILLSLIPPYKILLSLIPPYTHISISASUBLIMINALMESSAGE), and FFIII FTW.

My DS will be getting much love. Even more reason to get a DS Lite before heading out to college.

Fear not, Yoshi's Island 2 looks very much the same as the original (at least from what I can see anyway). It seems that Baby Mario will actually be useful this time around though, lending assistance with tasks like climbing vines and...using his parasol?! Definitely looking forward to this one. :)

And people are gonna have to turn off voice chat in Starfox DS because all they're going to hear is "DO A BARREL ROLL!"

Fear not, Yoshi's Island 2 looks very much the same as the original (at least from what I can see anyway). It seems that Baby Mario will actually be useful this time around though, lending assistance with tasks like climbing vines and...using his parasol?! Definitely looking forward to this one. :)

And people are gonna have to turn off voice chat in Starfox DS because all they're going to hear is "DO A BARREL ROLL!"

Baby Peach will use the parasol.

Wasn't Diddy Kong Racing supposed to be a GBA game originally? I remember seeing it listed as one of the early GBA titles when the system first came out.
Nah, it's originally a N64 game. There was an attempt to bring a Diddy Kong Pilot to the GBA, but it got changed to Banjo Pilot and sucked.

Reportedly, this port will have custom tracks. If so, I might actually buy it again.

Also very much interested in Elite Beat Agents, Phoenix Wright 2, Yoshi's Island 2 and Starfox DS. Pokemon looks way too much like it's exactly the same game with a new lick of paint.

Am I the only one who doesn't like the way those guys in Chrystal Chronics and FFIII look? I mean, the graphics are alright, but their "artwork" (faces and looks) look odd...

Yeah. I'd daresay that just looks plain bad. Never liked the super-deformed u("SD art", if you want to get technical) in FF9 even though the game itself was good.