Nintendo DS

The Damned

What the fuck? Page two? Not on my watch...

Yeah, so Pokemon stuff has been revealed through CoroCoro magazine, and it's something.

First, what appears to be the new starters have been revealed, and one of them is a monkey with a flaming ass. Seriously. Look for yourselves here.

And then we have the online stuff. It's not just battling (although that's been expanded as well). Contests's have returned and been expanded a bit, and there's this whole underground world you can play online in. Secret Bases from RSE make up this giant cave system where you can play games like Capture the Flag with other people, and set traps for each other. You can also take part in treasure-hunting, and maybe even more. Looks to be the most feature-filled generation of the series.

Oh, and there's this one pokemon, looks like a parrot, that you can use the DS's microphone to record your own sounds/words, and have it scream it as an attack. Think of how many people will have one that screams "FUCK!" at you in a battle.

Oh, and a Chocobo game for the DS. I would like more details, but it's all good.

Looks like DS is my console of choice this winter. As much as I'd like to get a Wii, I am being forced to limit my spending significantly. Wii will have to wait. Besides, with so many incredible DS games coming up, I probably won't even notice the Wii's absence.

You know what just hit me last night...

I think it'd be cool to see a Spy vs Spy on the DS.

Oh yeah... I don't see why not. Two screens, you're on the bottom one, and can use the touch screen for various tasks, maybe even taps or something, I don't know... and your opponent is on the top.

It's been a long time since I'e even seen that game.

You know what just hit me last night...

I think it'd be cool to see a Spy vs Spy on the DS.

Oh yeah... I don't see why not. Two screens, you're on the bottom one, and can use the touch screen for various tasks, maybe even taps or something, I don't know... and your opponent is on the top.

It's been a long time since I'e even seen that game.

My cousin had Spy vs Spy on the original Game Boy. Good times.. haha.

Sorry for the double post, but here's some interesting article on the DS, and Nintendo's overall strategy and success with it.

MSN Money (of msn.com), in an article from the financial website thestreet.com, explain why nintendo has "hit the next level" with the Nintendo DS, financially-wise.

The article

Just read the article, pretty interesting...especially when they noted that LocoRoco didn't sell (and saying it was like a Nintendo-style game). Seems like many of the avid Sony supporters I see (in the US at least) are graphics whores and don't often care how fun a game is if it's not really pretty (and do often call Nintendo games "dumb" and "childish," and go off about how Nintendo games have "bad graphics"), so it seems like trying to market a game like that on the PSP is trying to market it to the wrong audience. Then again, Katamari Damashi are Sony platform-exclusive and those seemed to sell well, despite not having stunning graphics. Meh, I dunno, just my take on it.

I put the demo on my friends PSP. I really love the music. The music is just so happy and cheery in the game, but the gameplay is kinda frustrating. If it was something like Kirby Tilt N' Tumble, it would be way more enjoyable.

I posted this earlier (like, a day ago at least), but it seems that the post was lost, or deleted... Anyway, I found this video of Star Fox for the DS (it asked me if you're over 18, though I have no idea why. The video is completely clean in all regards. After trying the link though, it seems to work fine, so maybe it's just me). This is showing in-game play using the wi-fi ability. About 1/2 through, you can see the guy do a barrel roll. It certainly looks player controlled to me. Hopefully this is a possible indication that some of the issues people have mentioned earlier have been addressed, and possibly taken care of.

Either way, the game looks pretty good, graphically speaking. At least, for a DS game. I'm certainly looking forward to it, but I think I'd like to try out a demo, if one is available. Especially since I have extreamly limited funds. Anyway, hopefully someone finds this video informative. Mouser X over and out.

I posted this earlier (like, a day ago at least), but it seems that the post was lost, or deleted... Anyway, I found this video of Star Fox for the DS (it asked me if you're over 18, though I have no idea why. The video is completely clean in all regards. After trying the link though, it seems to work fine, so maybe it's just me). This is showing in-game play using the wi-fi ability. About 1/2 through, you can see the guy do a barrel roll. It certainly looks player controlled to me. Hopefully this is a possible indication that some of the issues people have mentioned earlier have been addressed, and possibly taken care of.

Yeah, it seems they changed it so now doing a barrel roll is a scribbling motion left or right on the touch screen.

Which really complicates the controls all the more. The game is going to be a complete mess.

I'm sorry if this has been mentioned before, but Children of Mana is a excellent game for the DS. I picked it up at Tsutaya's recently (couple of weeks ago) and I just finished it. Been a bit busy. At any rate, I don't know if this is of much use, but i took some pics of the game since I have no idea how to dump screens from the DS.

Ingame, fighting one of the first bosses. Pretty standard use of the dual screens, but convenient and practical.

1bw6.th.jpg

Ingame, dialogue mode - characters have different expressions depending on the situation and context, looks nice I think.

2fd8.th.jpg

Last one, this is from the opening video wich is animated, about 10fps or something. It really brings a quality feel to the game. I was thinking about making a gv/tube of it if anyone is interested (it probably exists already anyway..?)

3ce8.th.jpg

Once again, in regards to Star Fox on the DS, I just found this IGN article. They spent some time on the Japanese version, and said that it handled surprisingly well. Of course, I wouldn't expect you people to blindly accept what IGN said about the game. However, if what they said is accurate, then I think it will certainly be a worthwhile game. Though, I'm definatly going to have to try it for myself first. Hopefully they have it on demo, or something, at the local store here, when it comes out.

Anyway, since I hadn't seen it linked earlier, I thought it would at least be reasonably useful to post a link to the article here. Mouser X out.

I've have a flash cart for my DS so I can run homebrew and roms on it. I've been playing the japanese version of starfox a little bit this week. I managed to complete the training missions even though I cant read any of the text. It's pretty good so far, the actual dog fighting is way too easy though, and there doesn't seem to be any levels where you fly in a linear path like in the SNES and N64 games, which is a shame.

The mario 3 on 3 basketball game absolutely rocks though, I cant recommend that enough.

Both the video and the IGN article pretty much confirm for me that Star Fox Command is really gonna suck. Each new game seems to stray farther away from what made Star Fox 64 so awesome. In that regard, Star Fox is Nintendo's Sonic the Hedgehog.

As with any game, I should reserve my judgement until I try it for myself, but so far the game looks very not fun.

Both the video and the IGN article pretty much confirm for me that Star Fox Command is really gonna suck. Each new game seems to stray farther away from what made Star Fox 64 so awesome. In that regard, Star Fox is Nintendo's Sonic the Hedgehog.

As with any game, I should reserve my judgement until I try it for myself, but so far the game looks very not fun.

Gamespot said the same thing. They were giving it the "suckage" vibe until the end of the article and then tried to redeem it by saying it might've been the language barrier.

Guess good ol' Phthisis was right on this one.

Here's how I invision the Starfox DS game should work:

At the beginning of each mission, you're given a map of the level and use your stylus to draw a path through it. There will be branches, but you're not allowed to backtrack, so you must choose wisely. Although maybe there could be a power-up that lets you change your path mid-level.

Then you enter the mission, flying along the "rail" you've drawn. The controls are the same as the original Starfox, except with the extra tricks added in Starfox64. The stylus won't come into play at all, except maybe with bosses, because they always need some sort of gimmick.

And that's it. Sweet and simple. Don't fix what ain't broke, Nintendo.