Nintendo DS

The Damned

If I get a DS soon, I plan to get these games (if funds would come through):

New Super Mario Bros.

Sonic Rush

Mario Kart (obviously)

Metroid Prime: Hunters

Castlevania games (maybe)

and probably a shitload of others...DS has a lot of fucking GREAT games!! I don't know what to get!!

Do not skip on Dawn of Sorrow. It's one of the best DS games out there. You might also consider Pheonix Wright.

New Super Mario Bros.

Sonic Rush

Mario Kart (obviously)

and probably a shitload of others...DS has a lot of fucking GREAT games!! I don't know what to get!!

Skip Sonic Rush unless you're a hardcore Sonic fan. It's a good game, but it has some poor design choices.

If you like challenge, check out Trauma Center: Under the Knife.

If you like puzzlers, Tetris, Meteos, and possibly Konductra are all must-haves.

If you like first-person action RPG dungeon crawls, check out Deep Labyrinth.

If you like quirky, off-the-wall RPGs, check out Contact come October.

If you like puzzle-solving adventure games, check out Trace Memory, Touch Detective (October 10), and Hotel Dusk (Winter).

If you want some more unusual gaming experiences, check out Electroplankton (love it or hate it software, but I love it), Brain Age, or Nintendogs.

If you like strategy, Advance Wars.

New Super Mario Bros.

Sonic Rush

Mario Kart (obviously)

I would also recommend WarioWare: Touched!...it's fun, addictive collection of microgames. Doesn't sound all that interesting to a lot of people, until you try it out. Happy DSing, once you procure your DS ;)

I'm having a big problem with my L button. Some days, it randomly decides that it's not going to work unless I really mash the thing down. Very unresponsive. What should I do? (I have a regular silver DS, just so you know).

I have the exact same problem. I've heard that sometimes the shoulder buttons stop working if too much dust gets underneath, so a way get them working again would be to blow into them (the NES method, I think). It has worked for me, but it might just be a coincidence that it starts working.

Is anyone else looking forward to Final Fantasy III? I'm not much of a FF guy, but the screenshots look amazing and I'm excited about the gameplay.

Your excited about the gameplay?

You mean the gameplay that was the only part of that game that wasn't changed during the remake? The gameplay that was the same 17 years ago when the game came out as it will be on November 14?

Uh, no thanks. I'll stick with Contact.

Is anyone else looking forward to Final Fantasy III? I'm not much of a FF guy, but the screenshots look amazing and I'm excited about the gameplay.

You mean the gameplay that was the only part of that game that wasn't changed during the remake? The gameplay that was the same 17 years ago when the game came out as it will be on November 14?

Well, FFIII never came out in America. I never played the rom before either, so I'm looking forward to it.

You can't expect them to change the gameplay, really. What would they do? Add extra b.s. touch screen elements? I get annoyed when the games add extra gameplay elements to a DS game that end up just getting in the way. Just because it's on the DS doesn't mean it HAS to use the touch screen or the mic. When those elements have a real purpose and aren't there just to be gimmicky and they work, then it's great to use them. Given, there are of course ways they could make it workable for FFIII to use everything the DS has to offer for control and not make it a gimmick but I don't mind a traditionally-controlled game either.

I'm looking forward to FFIII as well...I enjoyed the oldschool remakes they had for the GBA, even though I never played them back in the day and I'm not an FF fanboy. It looks like with this remake they put even more time and detail into it, so I'll continue looking forward to it.

And yes, Phthisis, I am also looking forward to Contact...moreso in fact. It's not a "one or the other" deal :P. Seems like they're different enough that they're hardly comparable (like Killer7 and XIII; they're both technically cel-shaded shooters but that's really where the similarities end).

BS touch screen control? I'm not looking for anything innovative for touch-screen control, but I love the idea of touch-screen menu interaction. It just feels right.
Given, there are of course ways they could make it workable for FFIII to use everything the DS has to offer for control and not make it a gimmick but I don't mind a traditionally-controlled game either.

The problem I foresee with using the touch screen for menu commands and battles is toggling between that and town/dungeon/overworld control (I was actually gonna say what you did in my original post, but I decided to just leave it as I quoted above). I know that menu interaction in Contact is done with the touch screen, but doesn't it pretty much use the touch screen for controlling on the map and whatnot as well (ie as primary control in the game)? Maybe I'm just getting this confused with the DS Zelda game (since I know for sure that game is primarily stylus controlled), so if I am mistaken please correct me (I'm sure Phthisis would enlighten me if it doesn't compromise his NDA).

For FFIII, I think I would rather simply leave it as a traditionally-controlled game rather than toggle back and forth between touch screen control and traditional control, mainly since I'd rather have traditional controls for the towns/dungeons/overworld for FFIII period (maybe I'll change my mind after I play Phantom Hourglass, but until I experience a game that's all stylus-controlled I can't really understand how well it'd work). If you aren't required to use the face buttons at all even during towns/dungeons/overworld (ie, you use the touch screen to interact with NPCs, items, chests, and anything else you can interact with) but still use the d-pad for moving around, then I'd be all for it.

Pic of the new headset.

ph_earphonemic.jpg

Plug it in, and let the "NOOBS! PWND!" begin...

Also, it was recently revealed that if you want to use your GBA Pokemon in Diamond/Pearl... well, let's just say that it might be easier to just use a cheat device and make them from scratch.

The way it works is that you "transfer" the pokemon to your DS game, and then, instead of it being there all ready for you to use... you have to catch it. Again. And there's no word on how easy it will be. But if it's anything like the previous Safari Zones, you'll need a lot of luck and even more patience. Also, there's no info on how it will effect said pokemon. Will it reset IVs and EVs? Tameness?

Oh, and you can only transfer 6 pokemon a day. That means that if you try to send all your GBA pokes over, it will take you 64 days, or 2 months to do so. Two months to transfer over what you have already found.

Ugh. Between having to send them over at a frustratingly low rate, and then catching them again... maybe I'll just make a new team. What a stupid move.

Is it an Atlus game?

Is it an Atlus game?

Like you have to ask. :P

It's been a while since I've purchased a DS game. What's out now that's hot that I should get, or should I just wait for Megaman ZX?