Rainbow Road Montage - 'Skybound'

k-wix

Hey guys, new mix!

This is a remix of the Rainbow Road themes from both the N64 and Mario Kart 7 3DS versions. The mix blends the two themes in a orchestral/spacey/electronic tone with a positive and uplifting vibe. Rainbow Road is one of my all-time favorite themes and I've been wanting to work with it for a very long time.

Enjoy! Comments and critiques are welcome and encouraged! ^_^

Originals:

Skybound Remix:

• 1 month later...

This is very nice mate. Really captured the anthemic nature of the originals. The horn section is very nice and the tempo changes are interesting. It's a very uplifting piece. The drums feel in a good place. Big and punchy without being too far forward, which is something you hear all too often.

Perhaps the main top line synth is a little repetitive and a touch too forward in the mix, but seriously, I'm being very pedantic here and don't want to take away from what's a very strong piece of work. Good stuff.

I left the youtube playlist running. The following track (Kingdom Hearts)... Wow! What an intro! stuck this one out to the end. A lot of interest and diversity and dynamics in this one. Very nice stuff buddy.

Your production style is very warm and soft and consistent across the two tracks I listened to. Hats off to you :-D.

This is very nice mate. Really captured the anthemic nature of the originals. The horn section is very nice and the tempo changes are interesting. It's a very uplifting piece. The drums feel in a good place. Big and punchy without being too far forward, which is something you hear all too often.

Perhaps the main top line synth is a little repetitive and a touch too forward in the mix, but seriously, I'm being very pedantic here and don't want to take away from what's a very strong piece of work. Good stuff.

I left the youtube playlist running. The following track (Kingdom Hearts)... Wow! What an intro! stuck this one out to the end. A lot of interest and diversity and dynamics in this one. Very nice stuff buddy.

Your production style is very warm and soft and consistent across the two tracks I listened to. Hats off to you :-D.

Thank you very much for the kind words. I was hoping to get some feedback on this piece and have been waiting for awhile now. Sincerely appreciated.

Hey was browsing and saw you posted a new mix. Had to return the favor.

First thoughts upon hearing the intro were... "I'm going to cry". I loved these games so this took me back to the good old days. And the uplifting feel just made it worse... or better? Not sure which applies but you get my drift.

I think the intro is just fine. Don't change it (I disagree with the comment on the vid saying it is too long). It would work if the player allowed the whole stage overview scene to play out and then the race starts when it picks up. 3... 2.... (start accelerating halfway between 2 and 1)...1... instant turbo right out of the gate. Top of the world.

I can't really offer any technical advice because I'm so transfixed on my own nostalgia of it. I may post more when I'm over it. But for now, pretty killer track man. Nicely blended and everything. Great balance, good focus. No trouble deciding what to listen to.

Happened to catch the next thing on the playlist as well. The KH remix is really good too. Makes me actually consider collaborations (never done one before). Oh what the fusion of styles can bring. My siblings would go nuts for that, especially since KH3 is around the corner. You give it the late 90's, early 2000's Trance feel to it and that's what I love about it. Trance has changed so much since then, but I'm stuck in the ambiance of that era. Great, great job on that one too.

Read your website too. For the record, I always read your name "kay - wicks" and never "quicks". Never occurred to me. So I got your drift from the get go ;-)

Cheers mate.

Edited by djgalvanization

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is amazing! I love the Rainbow Roads, and I feel like you have symbolized them perfectly, as well as the mood of the tracks themselves. There's not much critique I can give (given my lack of experience and personal opinion), you've done a great job!

Your other mixes were pretty awesome as well. I love "Forever Dreaming" "March Against The Three Flames"...needless to say, I am a fan of you. Now, correcting myself above, I do have one critique- Why haven't you submitted to OCR?! I would heavily encourage you to submit this, or any other of your mixes!