Sonic 2 Metropolis Zone - Urban Renewal (revised from SZRC)

SuperiorX

Hey everyone, this is my first round track from the SZRC. It's a remix of Metropolis Zone (Sonic 2) and Hot Crater (Sonic Advance 2)! This version is slightly revised from my compo entry based on feedback: I replaced the snare sample, tweaked the percussion a bit, cleaned up some harsh frequencies in the lead, and toned down the reverb a little on the two leads. I'm thinking of subbing this one. Thoughts?

"Urban Renewal" Remix (rev 2 - 03/21/14): https://app.box.com/s/ig4lj1oxic6r84on7o91

"Urban Renewal" Remix rev 1: https://app.box.com/s/fojnh41aaaxe774jzsuu

Original SZRC Mix: https://soundcloud.com/superiorx/urban-renewal

Sources:

Edited by SuperiorX

Sounding cool so far. I think the treble is what I'm most concerned with. The first lead could have something to tame the harsh treble. Maybe some chorus to smear the highs a little, if you're having trouble finding those frequencies? It sounds kind of nasal in a sense.

The hi hats starting at 0:27 have some sort of resonant frequencies too, at 16000~20000Hz, and I'm feeling it pretty prominently over here. I can't help but feel like the bass was underrepresented here after 0:27. It's kind of a basic vintage saw bass, but maybe something thicker would add more groove. Also, the stereo field seems to be rather busy in the center. Maybe some wider elements would help fill it out, or some widening -of- elements. The chordal element, perhaps.

The 808/909 snare is pretty good, but the kick needs some more love throughout. It's mostly clicky. I kind of hear it, but it's not extremely present. Feel free to hit me up if you want some advice or examples. :)

At 1:10 leading into 1:12, I feel like the volume of the lead jumped from just right to a bit too loud when it's exposed, without the bass and kick to really back it up with some oomph. It even sounds a little too dry in comparison to the point when it sat in the mix and wasn't exposed. A few seconds later, since practically everything is narrow (or non-wide), there's less impact perceived than there can be. Here's an example of a full, wide stereo field (ignore the fact that I'm using way different instruments, and try paying particular attention to the first 27 seconds).

1:35 gets pretty piercing in the high treble with the portamento lead combined with the hi hats, as well.

Lastly, the ending starting at 3:00 has a rather static sustain on the lead that could either be more vibrato, fading out earlier but more slowly, or both. That way the organ-like instrument gets the attention by the time it starts playing.

Overall, this is a nice and playful track. I like it, but I believe fixing up the treble where it's harsh, perhaps thickening up the vintage saw bass, creating a fuller stereo field, and processing a stronger kick would make this a stronger candidate. :)

Edited by timaeus222

Very playfull. I remember this from the SCRZ very fondly, as the combination with Hot Crater works like a charm.

There's some definite improvement over the original, though. The instruments are less tin-can like and the fact that you downgraded most of the sounds bits from Launch Base zone helps the track big time. The one at 0:23 and the snippet coming right after are just enough to grab the attention of the listener without sounding annoying; I'm not entirely sure about the ones halfway through, but seeing as they apparently slipped by during my first listen without me noticing them is a good thing.

The outro needs some work yeah, right now it isn't very mixable. Better than the original though! But overall a very fun track, very pleasant listening experience!

Thank you both for the thoughtful feedback. Timaeus, I think I address most of your concerns. It's mostly subtle, but I think it's made a big difference already when I compare.

Urban Renewal (rev 2 - 03/21/14): https://app.box.com/s/ig4lj1oxic6r84on7o91

• Dialed back those resonant frequencies on the hats. You were pretty much right on with the ranges. There was something odd going on there.
  • That first lead already had a bit of a chorus effect - I messed with the parameters a little bit and toned down the high shelf freqs a little.
  • Beefed up the kick a bit
  • A few of my instruments were panned for a stereo effect, but I'll admit I didn't do a very good job at this the first go round. I pushed a few to a bit more of the extremes L and R and I think it cleared up the center a bit more
  • Fixed that portamento at 1:35 and the sustain at 3:00

I think the only thing I didn't address was the bass and that's cause I honestly thought it was getting a bit loud at parts already, so I didn't want to thicken it up any more. Thanks again!

• 1 month later...

Hey, I'm just getting familiar with the forum (as a fairly new member) so I hope you don't mind me posting on a slightly older thread.

I'm just listening to your track. It's seriously good. Loving the arrangement and loving the choice of synth tones as well as the manipulation of the pitch bend and glide to get those Sonic-esque noises in there. The mix is very tidy too. Really like your drum sounds. Thanks for uploading, was great to listen to.

• 1 month later...

You should definitely sub this Superior! Now that I've had some time to listen to the whole of the SZRC, I really think that this remix is one that stands out from a lot of the other tracks. The combining of the two themes is really thought out and the mixing is awesome!