OCR00491 - Fury of the Furries "Furry in the Forest"

Ginnsu

Fury of the Furries 'Furry in the Forest'

This one’s a very nice electronic piece with an absolutely wonderful lead instrument. I love the way it moves, changes, and slides followed by strings every where it goes. Sweet mix, Cyborg Jeff, I hope to hear more.

• 3 months later...

part at 1:49: totally awesome change of pace. Make sure to play this one loud with headphones. Don't pass it up just because you haven't played the original! Unless you hate songs that...I dont know...SOUND LIKE THIS!!! (read djp's for more information =)

If I were to rename this, it would be "Funky in the Forest" =) just has that feel.

First something different: this is my first post here, so if anything untoward happens, blame it upon that.

Okay. I like the remix.. I played the game and it's good to hear the music again. But, and perhaps that's because I know the original and the game, I found the feeling of the music a bit too much housey.. well.. you know what I mean.

The game and the original music is much lighter, perhaps even carefree.

Perhaps it's the beat, perhaps because the parts seem a bit less blended in, more individually 'pronounced'.

It's good, but less to my taste than the original.

Anyway, I tend to prefer original versions, so perhaps it's just me. :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Man, these were always some of my favorite remixes on this site. But then my friend sent me the original mods. I must say, I'm very disappointed in CJ. I've been a long time fan but now I see he hasn't changed a single aspect of this song. This entire song (as well as the other furries remix) is a complete and utter ripoff.

Disappointed.

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Well.. I finally figured it out. I heard the mix, and it sounded remarkably familiar, despite the firm knowledge that I'd never played the game before. I decided to take a look at the game for myself. After viewing a screenshot, I was startled by the likeness it had to another game I had played. I did some research, and found out that Fury of the Furries was remade and released for the PC in the US as Pac-in-Time(which is very different from the SNES version, and differs from Fury of the Furries in story, some graphics, and game physics).

I also tracked down a MOD of the original song this was based on, and I have to agree. It is quite nearly identical to the original. I've listened to the original and the remix back to back, and though I could tell you which was which, I wouldn't be able to tell you until a full minute into the song, and if you asked me in a week, I wouldn't remember the differences, because they are very specific and very small.

As a track, this song rocks. As a remix, it's a very minimalist approach. I don't pretend to be an expert though, and my ear is untrained, so maybe there are more differences than I can detect.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm hearing a lot of people say this is basically a rip off of the original, so I grabbed the mod and checked it for myself, though I think I got the DOS version and not the original Amiga..?

I think there is a difference in the tracks, because what I have is a 3/4 waltz that sounds nothing like this, so we'll just not worry about similarities to the original.

This is a decently funky send-up, with clean, modish, textures. The soundfield is pretty well balanced, and there is plenty of counterpoint. It's a good arrangement, but having a more separated B section would really help it be more of a song and less of a BG track. A non-fadeout ending would also help this. Overall pretty good, especially considering the age.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

This mix borrows the source's starting lead + percussion combo and builds off/around it, eventually coming free of the MOD sounds by 1:49 (although that haunting square wave returns at 2:20). First we get some cutely panned cosmic sounds, then a gently playful bass slap, a gummy bass synth, and some oldschool blips (2:52) to play off the beat, among other things. By this point the key change is more than welcome and makes the tone of the track more uplifting. Because the mix is pleasurably groove-based like the source, the fadeout ending feels natural, but a bit too quick.

While not exactly daring as a rearrangement, this mix certainly adds to the original's feel of a meditative/lonely/mysterious trek.

• 1 month later...

This song really captures the feel of older OCR tracks. The obligatory 4 on the floor, synthy bass, straightforward synth lead. Nice, clear sound on the production.

I like whenever this song appears on my playlist - I can tell exactly what it is from the get-go. Nothing too flashy or surprising here, just solid old-school ocr tunage.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

So, you should know i've written that in 2001. I've never heard the Amiga version and not realy try to make a REMIX like the OCRemix Communauty now have made laws on it...

At that time, i just want have fun, making something that enhanced the melody of Frederic Moby Motte have made on this incredible game and send him !

I do it, ... and he love it :)

So why not sharing it to the OC communauty... What i do, trying to use better instrument than amiga samples, a new beat, a CJ touch... a first approach... I'll do realy more job on the second remix Swimming Furries.

For sure, your approach had changed with ages, that also why i didn't come here anymore, cause some remix i've made was always criticated, to close of, not enought remixed, don't suite to law n°34... i finally fed off, cause what i want was having fun and sharing it with fans :)

I'm happy lots of people still like this "remix", i'm happy the author now called El Mobbo also like it.

Have fun with it :)

and let's discover this incredibly oldschool game :)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00491 - Fury of the Furries "Furry in the Forest"