Super Mario 64 - Dire Dire Rocks

Benjaipod

The beginning starts ok.

The part where the guitar comes in, doesn't sound like the guitar is synchronizing exactly the backing track. Sounds like you are rushing a bit, which is something a lot of people fight against, including me. Turn your DAW's metronome on, turn it up LOUD, and try to play to the click. Also, listen less to your guitar playing and more to the rest of the track as you record. Some parts sound more on than others, but it's pretty off all the way through, especially the rhythm guitar.

The rhythm guitar needs to be a lot louder. They sound wimpy at that volume and there is a lot of space in the mix for them to fill up without killing the other instruments. I think leave everything at the volume it is, and turn the rhythm guitar up maybe 2-3 dbs, maybe more, and eq some crunch into them at 1K or presence at 3K. They sound flat.

Listen to this for an example.

I turned him down to account for the mastering difference in volume, and his rhythm guitars are so much more full and louder than yours. and I don't feel like his guitars are even that loud on this track what with the vocals being on top.

work on those coupla things and we'll talk.

I'm no mixing expert, but I'll try to offer some tips based on what I hear.

1. The hat feels a little loud and maybe panned slightly too much or maybe it just feels panned weird because of its volume. Actually, a lot of the cymbals seems to be way louder than your guitars. Perhaps adjust the levels a bit and/or add some compression?

2. Double track the rhythm - sounds like she's right in the middle the whole way through.

3. The silence at the beginning is unnecessary.

4. Not really a fan of the lead guitar tone. Perhaps try playing around with different amps, mic positions etc. real or virtual. The lead also sounds like neck pickup. A sound I generally hate on lead guitars personally (unless it's during a fast, bluesy run).

5. The track ends rather abruptly. Compose a better ending!

Those are my thoughts thus far.

Edited by AngelCityOutlaw