Epic Galaxy (remixed)

Napket

https://soundcloud.com/napket/epic-galaxy

Whew. Yeeears ago, when I started composing, I wanted to remix the Galaxy Man stage theme of Megaman 9. Then, I stopped for some reason and it took some time to become interested again.

Now that I'm graduating from a music tech school, I decided to dig this project up and finish it. The melodies are the same and I didn't even add too many extra instruments in order to keep this as nostalgic as possible. Of course the quality is (I hope) lot better. If I have time, I'll record some choirs for this later.

Your feedback was and still is very important, hope you enjoy!

Hi...I think with a little work you could transform this into something exciting.

Arrangement:

Haven't heard the original song. I feel like it needs more contrast to be interesting. With the instrumentation and feel being the exact same all the way through it feels a little boring. There's not really any development to it. I think be a little more picky as to when the drums come in, and use them to bring excitement to it. Most orchestral tracks don't have drums playing the whole time.

I feel like at few parts the performance of the instruments doesn't line up perfectly.

Production:

The violin samples are a little weak to me. String samples are hard to get sounding good, but perhaps shop around for some better ones. I like East West pretty good considering it was 300 bucks (pretty cheap for orchestra samples.)

It sounds like there is perhaps a little too much reverb and it's swamping it out. I don't do too much classical mixing but on rock mixes it helps to hi-pass filter the reverb at around 300 hz to clean it up. Also try adding some predelay, or you know, just turn the aux bus/reverb mix fader down.

I thought the piano samples were pretty good.

It feels a little dull, maybe make some stuff brighter and try bringing out the bass in the bass drum a little bit more or turning it up.

Thank you for the feedback!

I detected some kind of deep humming sound at some parts while listening to this again and I think it could be the reverb problem you mentioned and the fact that the drums play all the time. I'll try the filter and see how it sounds like if I remove some of the drums and just edit the beat to suit the melody better.

At some point, I thought about adding a small electronic touch to certain parts, because the original song is 8-bit. Other orchestral pieces do this, so maybe I could give it a try? That would certainly add some variety.

Making tracks brighter has been my constant problem as a beginner, haha. Adjusting the bass sounds like a good idea. The strings were made with the synths that came with Cubase 7, but I'll see how they would sound like with Dimension Pro and its expansion sets. Kontakt has some awesome orchestral samples as well, but I get to use that only at school. Have to save some money to get my own.

Thanks again, you helped me to come up with new ideas for this!