Mega Man 5 - Waveman - Guitar Cover

this sounds great

lots of clarity and separation in the instruments, drums feel like they right where they should be, great bass tone.

one thing i could perhaps suggest is a little bit of delay or verb on the right guitar lead, it feels a bit dry. it works how it is, but I feel like it could have a little more depth to it.

it reminds me a lot of Enigmatic Ocean by Jean Luc-Ponty.

nice job!

i too like to make "covers" of things because if i want to make something original i'll just write an original song, plus i feel that if you are not as good as uematsu and you add stuff to his song it will mess it up. but, to get on oc remix you will probably need to do more arranging eventually. might be a good experiment for you...

edit: here is a link to that song for your reference. the lead guitar tone isn't as dry as yours although it has a lot similar tone. another thing i noticed, his drums are a LOT brighter. so try hi shelving your overheads or drum bus at 10 khz or above. it sounds like his kick drum has a bit more punch around 50 hz too, try a couple db boost thereabouts...the rest of his track also sounds brighter. try a/b ing your track with something pr and try to get it about the same brightness, also try loading a pro track into your daw and compare its frequency spectrum to yours via an analyzer...

Edited by Michael_Lochlann

Thanks, man. I did toy around with using some delay as a makeshift reverb for a bit, but I ended up attempting to create a super-crisp guitar tone. I do think the intro harmony needs delay, though---that's one thing that bugs me just a little bit. I think having you point out the dryness will prompt me to go add the final-final-final touches.

I think I'm just a little snake-bitten by the brightness of another track I did last week (but never uploaded), so I probably over-corrected and ended up with a sort of lo-fi type sound on this track.

As for structurally rearranging video game tracks, I'm not interested. Nothing against the people who get their jollies from "remixing" other people's compositions---it's just not for me. I feel like I would be stepping on the original composers' toes by going too far with their work, so I just try to give them the same respect that I would give Bach or Ravel. Remember when Kenny G dubbed himself soloing with Louis Armstrong? It's like, "wait, who do you think you are?". If you're some super-established, brilliant composer like Olivier Messiaen, then I feel like you're "allowed" to mess with other composers' works via "variations on themes", etc. As for me, I'm nobody; and if I'm going to get all "creative", it'll be with my own music. Adding power chords to Contra tracks and shred solos over Bloody Tears or whatever---I just feel like it ruins the original music.

That Jean-Luc Ponty track had Holdsworth on guitar, didn't it? It was either him, or a very, very good impression of his phrasing. Going to have to check that out. Makes me want to blast some old Soft Machine. Also reminds me of Lye By Mistake's "Fea Jur" album, which obviously came out way later. I'm just referring to the "looseness" of the musicality. Really good stuff.

Edited by ngc2440nucleus