Kane Lives! (Command & Conquer tribute)

OmegaBolt

Hi there!

This is my first post so be gentle. Over the last few months I've done a few remixes of C&C tracks, but this is my best so far I think. I'd like some feedback on it, what should be improved, what I can keep in mind for future etc though just as a note - I have no musical knowledge or understanding whatsoever which is probably a fundamental problem in itself.

That being said here's the link to it!

https://soundcloud.com/fraser-jennison/act-on-instinct-remix

EDIT: So the project has changed direction slightly. It was previously just an Act On Instinct remix but now also incorporates themes from March To Doom and No Mercy.

The idea is to try emulate a kind of Deep Purple feat Keith Emerson sound- that good old rock n' roll with the Jon Lord hammond and Emerson Moog. I wanted to start with a recognisable take on the AOI tune and chorus then move into straight original territory to make it not just a remake but more of a tribute to the game as a whole.

Edited by OmegaBolt
Project direction has altered!

• 2 weeks later...

The biggest thing that jumps out for me, is the drums. They sound really fake and kind of tinny/papery. They sound almost like you have them filtered somehow. You may want to check out getting some new drum sounds. Vengeance sounds are pretty fantastic for electronic pieces, but you can find a lot of good material for free if you do some google searches. You may want to try to find sounds that are similar to those in songs you like.

Other than that, it's not too terrible early on. You should definitely look into getting better samples and/or practice making/choosing synths, but nothing's awful. For the most part, it all sounds generic, which is fine so long as you're doing interesting things. I noticed some stereo seperation/panning on the guitar, which is good. Little things like that can really liven up a boring part.

When you first start solo-ing, the sine/sync you have isn't very good, but the actually notes have potential. Experiment with that a bit. Maybe try a sytrus preset, or look into some of the presets from nexus2. It's not free, but relatively cheap for the amount of great synths you get with it. If you want to, you can also look up some tutorials for the built-in fl synthesizers, though that's a bit tougher.

After you do the whole "solo" thing for a bit, it's gets pretty awkward. Around 2:00 and on, especially 2:40-3:00. I'm not really sure what you were going for there, but you may want to take another approach for it.

As far as the production values, they're decent, which is good if you're starting out. That's where most people have trouble.

At this point, your best bet is probably to look on youtube or google for some tutorials. Learn about EQ, compression, limiting, stereo seperation, phase cancellation, etc. As much as you can. There's a lot to learn, but it's a pretty great experience.

• 6 months later...

So it's been a long time, not sure why I didn't respond. Had enough of working on the track I expect. Anyway I recently revisited it, went over a lot of it, changed the structure a bit, added some extra segments, redid the mix completely although it's still far from perfect, maybe noticeably off in parts. Needs more vibrant emphasis in places. I want to try get some 'emotion' in the song so it doesn't feel like constant noise but have some gentler moments then builds into rocking sections.

https://soundcloud.com/fraser-jennison/act-on-instinct-remix?in=fraser-jennison/sets/command-conquer

Edited by OmegaBolt

i love the retro feel to it!

Thanks. You don't here that obnoxious Moog sound anywhere after ELP I feel. Probably for good reason. :P

I improved the mix again I think... trying to get a strong sound without being overwhelming or crushing too much. Doubled the guitar and tried to give it some interesting stereo effects. When playing alone the guitar should be even and thick, then when the hammond comes in it should weigh more on the right to give room on the left for the hammond, without losing strength.

https://soundcloud.com/fraser-jennison/act-on-instinct-remix

Edited by OmegaBolt