Game: Dynamite Headdy

Arrangement Name: Bullet Hell

Song Arranged: 5 Stage

Platform: Sega Genesis/ Mega Drive

Composer: Norio Hanzawa

Release Year: 1993

Source:

(Incorrectly named)

Comments: By the time you read this, I'll already be gone. Wait, that's not right.

By the time you read this, the album it's on will have already been released. This track, however, wasn't a mixpost candidate, so I decided to sub it on its own.

I really feel like I did a good job on this one. I have heavily inspired by Mass Effect's music (especially that part between 2:20 and 2:58), and I really tried to bring some of that 80s/90s sci-fi aesthetic into the track using carefully-placed and modulated yet often vanilla-sounding synths. As far as the metal instrumentation, I tried to give it a sort of 80s hair metal feel, but with a modern metalcore twist, a lot like Blessed By A Broken Heart.

Enjoy, like I hope you gents did with the album. :)

Edited by Palpable

Nothing crazy as far as arrangement ideas go, but a solid concept and execution. Good partwriting and good synthesis of metal and synths, which doesn't always come across that well. The synth lead was produced kind of strangely, missing crispness. I know Dustin was going for an 80's aesthetic, but it sounded unpolished rather than retro. The mixing was also on the crowded side, and I wanted a little more breathing room. Those issues aside, this was good work and an enjoyable listen.

YES

Vinnie covered the issues quite well I think. That main synth lead is quite generic and lacks sparkle or any kind of modulation which would have really helped it stand out. That popcorn-ish synth has a bit of low end mud.

The drumming is well done, kick sounds good. Snare and crashes could stand to be a bit louder and more present.

The guitar performances are all solid. Mixing is in fact a bit crowded and feels a bit overly centered. Pretty straighforward treatment of the source arrangement. Overall though, solid track.

YES

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's the thing--those drums are just bugging me. Putting aside the fact that they're the FPC defaults, which I hate, there's a much bigger problem: I'm not hearing any sort of humanization at all. The patterns, while well-written, are locked to the grid and have no velocity variation at all.

The rest of the song is pretty strong--the guitars are on point, and I dig the Mass Effect-esque breakdown arpeggio synths. The lead unison synth, like Larry said, is kinda weak, but not a dealbreaker.

The arrangement is good stuff, so no complaints there.

I'm not going to be upset if this makes it through anyways, but the drum humanization is something that I would REALLY love to hear fixed. Getting that synth lead squared up (no pun intended) would help, too, if this song does end up going back for another round.

NO (resub!)

• 3 weeks later...

Some great points brought up here already, so gonna keep this short.

Strong overall piece. Guitars are nice. Lead could be better as mentioned. Mike does make a good point on the drums. I don't view it as much of a writing issue (because the writing was good), but more of detail issue on humanizing velocities and, if possible, sample rotation. Still, it didn't strike me as big of an issue and not a dealbreaker. Something to work on for next time.

YES