OCR03129 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 'The Seven Wise Men Shot First'

DragonAvenger

• ReMixer name: Joey Grady

• Site: www.jagmusic.org
• UserID: 52389

• Game Arranged: Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past
• Name of arrangement: The Seven Wise Men Shot First
• Individual song arranged: Opening Demo
• Comments: This is my very first submission here, but I've written original content for other games before. A friend told me about this site and I had to see what this community is all about. I can't believe I didn't know about you guys sooner!

This song in particular I've been wanting to make an arrangement of for a while. LttP was my very first video game and its music is very near and dear to my heart. Most everything I write now has some sort of 16-bittiness to it and it's all thanks to what this game started.

FUN ZELDA FACT! In the opening sequence of the original SNES release, the people put in charge of sealing the gate to the Land of the Golden Power were called "the seven wise men". In the GBA rerelease it was changed to "the seven sages" to remain consistent with the rest of the series. But the gamers that were there from the beginning... We know... They're WISE MEN and no one can tell us otherwise! Leave it to a rerelease to destroy what you love. Aaaaand that's where I got the song title from.

Enjoy thoroughly,
-JAG
------------------

• 3 weeks later...

This is really very nice. I love the soundscape and the interesting syncopations you've created with the drums and strings. The arrangement plays it close to the source, including the awesome time signature changes, but this mix is nicely detailed and personalized. Love the subtle harp/synth runs and bell accents.

I would prefer if some of the piano playing had a touch more groove and some better humanization, in particular the piano sounds quite mechanical during the 6/8 portions, possibly due to doubling the piano with the bell timbre. I like the contrast of the super modern soundscape and sfx with the 16-bit sounds. The mixing is working well.

Overall, this is a lovely listen!

YES

• 1 month later...

The soundscape sounded kind of muddy/cluttered to me for whatever reason. Re-EQing/cleaning that up would be nice, but this was an otherwise strong arrangement, so that aspect certainly carries it. Cool instrumentation choices as well. Chimpa went over what clicked as far as the interpretation of the source, and I agreed on that for sure. Easy call. Welcome aboard, Joey!

YES

• 2 weeks later...

NO! GREEDO SHOT FIRST! IT IS KNOWN. EVERYONE KNOWS. EVEERRYONE. GAWD.

Ok so the atmosphere and build up in the intro are great. The piano when it comes in at 0:53 feels a little dry and at odds with the soundscape that had been building up for almost a minute tho. I also felt that one or two of the variations felt a little... unnatural to me, probably due to me being so familiar with the source tune. The drums are well written when dealing with the time sig change from the source, so props there. I do enjoy the sound design and the mixing, and I dig the feel, even if the production has a bit of a roughness - It seems to lack clean "shine" to the mixing but the murky textures work here imo.

This is an example of a track that imo is more than the sum of its parts and I can totally dig it.

Its not going to change lives but its a nice and fitting tribute to a great game.

I like it!

GREEDO I mean yes

Edited by WillRock

I just plain like this track. Yeah, it's not the most extravagant or polished remix ever, but it just works for me. I'm not even sure if I can really vocalize why that is, but here we are. I love it!

Passable production? Check. Passable arrangement? Check. Greater than the sum of its parts, as stated above? Definitely check.

YES