Orchestral Pokemon Remix (Lavender Town + Route 12)

Slimy

https://soundcloud.com/slimy-4/adventure-through-lavender-town-update-1

(Outdated:

https://soundcloud.com/slimy-4/adventure-through-lavender-town-wip-pokemon-remix

https://soundcloud.com/slimy-4/adventure-through-lavender-town-update)

Tried to tell a bit of a story with this one. I started the song with feelings the player might have emerging from the "Cave-of-Can't-See-Anything", then on the short road to Lavender Town. It then transitions into the Lavender Town theme itself, before ending on a triumphant sounding remix of the Route 12 theme.

Many of the more original sounding bits (that drag the song on for over 8 minutes) are variations of the Lavender Town and Route 12 melodies, or vaguely inspired from them.

Here are the original source tunes:

Route 10+12:

Lavender Town: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ_0JY2-3FU

Feedback would be appreciated!

Edited by XPRTNovice
mod review complete

This is a pretty good composition man, nice work. You made these two songs work well together and there's definitely some kind of narrative to this. I don't really know how to critique it.

One thing I can say is, maybe it could be a little shorter. Especially if you're planning on submitting it to OCR as they want mixes that are between 2-7 minutes long

8 min 38 seconds should be fine. Blue Lightning by Disco Dan is 8:41, and that was posted in 2001.

Technically, something from 13 years ago doesn't quite match the standards today, but with the 2~7 minutes in a submission, it really is just a recommendation based on attention spans and filesizes for the sake of bandwidth.

I want to start by saying you did a great job here. I really enjoy what you have so far. Well arranged, and well produced

Production wise, it's a convincing orchestra. It sounds like what I would expect an orchestra to sound like. There's a two minute stretch when things are quiet, between 1:30 and 3:30, but I think it works as is. However, there are a couple spots of silence (at 3:46 - 3:48, and 4:13 - 4:19) which felt unnecessary.

Arrangement wise, this is very competent. I enjoyed the variations of Lavender Town, and the way you arranged it really matches the mood of the source. It reminds me a lot of the soundscapes in Majora's Mask. Route 12 is also handled well, I enjoyed the buildup you've got going. Nice variations on the source.

Right now the two themes feel separated, each theme has it's own section. The transitions to and from each source are well done, but it doesn't feel like a single song. Two themes put together, like a medley. You may be going for the two themes having their own separate sections, which is cool. But if you plan to submit this to OCR, you may want to consider having more of a merging of the two themes. Like one theme providing accompaniment for the other.

I enjoyed this track, I look forward to hearing more!

Edited by Cash

https://soundcloud.com/slimy-4/adventure-through-lavender-town-update

Thanks for all the responses!

I tried to tie the two halves together better by having an oboe play the route 12 theme at 0:32. Not sure what else I could do, I'll think about it.

There's been some minor changes, like extra notes in some chords, woodblocks at 0:42, a trombone at 5:25, and more triangle action. I also humanized the piano, and tried to pan the instruments to where they would be in an actual orchestra. Feedback on these things would be appreciated.

I shortened all of the rests. (Cash, you weren't the only one who didn't like those. :P) Although I only shortened the one before the "jump scare" that concludes the Lavender Town theme by about half a second, because I think the silence is an excellent way to increase the suspense.

I also changed the volume throughout the song, so that quiet bits aren't too quiet. Thanks for giving it a listen!

• 3 weeks later...

REVIEW OF MODILY MOD

This is a really cool interpretation of these two pieces, which include the only pokemon game I've ever played, so that's a plus. You've got some great elements of classical orchestration combined with a really sort of modern art flair. Here are my nitpicks.

- Lovely intro with a great swell.

- The string marcatos in the back of 35 ish seem like they're on autopilot a bit. You might want to adjust them to make them sound a bit more natural; right now they sound a little hammered to me.

- I think the flute lead at :45 comes in too strong...just that one phrase, though.

- I like how the harp creeps out of the mix to become the segue instrument around 1:30.

- The flute that comes in at 1:37 sounds very dry and it's quite noticeable in contrast to the rest of the samples and mixing you've done which has been so warm and full.

- String entrance at 2:23 is a biiit abrupt.

- I have a similar complaint about the flute staccato at 2:50; it's drier than the rest of the stuff to my ears. A touch more verb and it'll sit better, IMO.

- Love 3:55; great moment.

- I'm not as much of the squeezing out effect at 4:15. It sounds like the song completely ends and really breaks up the continuity you've got going on. I'm not sure if that was just a mixing thing or if you chose it for stylistic effect.

- Enjoy the swapping of prominence of brass/winds at 4:50; very well done.

- The piano that starts at 5:05 ish is a little plunky and, in my opinion, doesn't fit as well with the nice things you've got going on. The rest of the mix at that point is smooth and you've got a piano that kind of goes chop-chop-chop-chop.

- Love the re-entry of the full orchestra at 5:50. The trumpets could come out more there, though; they are really singing the melody, so let them out! Right now I feel like that section is a bit bottom heavy.

- The clarinet entrance at 7:13 could be moderated a bit to be less abrupt.

- I hear a very faint string artifact in my left ear at 7:41...like after they fade out, they come up again for a split second.

- I think the last note could fade out a bit more gradually...like the whole orchestra is letting out a slow breath.

Overall, I really do like this. It's got a great feel, it's so warm it makes me want to hug a pokemon. My production critiques are very nitpicky, and I think this already has a fine amount of polish. Great job.

YOU'VE BEEN MODREVIEWED

I'm going back over this again, and I agree with Joe, especially on these points, and I've put some reasons why:

- The string marcatos in the back of 35 ish seem like they're on autopilot a bit. You might want to adjust them to make them sound a bit more natural; right now they sound a little hammered to me.

Comment: I hear the small variations in velocities. However, it seems very subtle, and due to an audio system's dynamics and ambience, it may be harder to hear for others and may come off as more stiff than it actually is.

- I think the flute lead at :45 comes in too strong...just that one phrase, though.

Comment: Probably because of the note velocities.

- I'm not as much of the squeezing out effect at 4:15. It sounds like the song completely ends and really breaks up the continuity you've got going on. I'm not sure if that was just a mixing thing or if you chose it for stylistic effect.

Comment: Feels like a kind of abrupt "transition".

- The piano that starts at 5:05 ish is a little plunky and, in my opinion, doesn't fit as well with the nice things you've got going on. The rest of the mix at that point is smooth and you've got a piano that kind of goes chop-chop-chop-chop.

Comment: Similar to 6:55 with regards to the piano.

- I hear a very faint string artifact in my left ear at 7:41...like after they fade out, they come up again for a split second.

Comment: Veeeery quiet but it's definitely there.

Edited by timaeus222

This is truly brilliant! I loved this arrangement.

The transitions were very well done, the orchestra felt real and lucid and the length of the track felt appropriate. Good luck on your submission!

May I ask which sample packs/DAW you're using?

My DAW is Acoustica Mixcraft 6, and I used Eastwest/Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra Silver. Though I also used a clash cymbal sound that comes with Mixcraft because EWQL Silver cymbals don't have sharp attacks.

- The flute that comes in at 1:37 sounds very dry and it's quite noticeable in contrast to the rest of the samples and mixing you've done which has been so warm and full.

Are you sure the dry sounding flute in this part it a bad thing? It transitions into the Lavender Town theme after all.

I agree with the other critiques though. Actually, when the full orchestra kicks into the route 12 theme, I was worried the piccolos playing glissando notes for flair covered up the melody, I didn't realize that it's the trumpets that are too quiet. I think the choppy piano fits the Lavender Town theme, but everywhere else it would sound much better with smoother attacks.

Thanks for the modly mod review!

Edited by Slimy

https://soundcloud.com/slimy-4/adventure-through-lavender

Another update. I touched on the things said in the mod review.

I didn't change the flute at 1:37 because I think the dryness transitions the mood nicely, though I did change the higher one because it sounded nice with vibrato.

I applied a humanizing effect over the string marcatos at the beginning. The velocities of every note was changed randomly within 10% of what it used to be. I'm not sure if it's an improvement, or what else I could do. I also added some minor dynamics - they fade out slightly and crescendo back a few times now.

I can't give any great technical feedback, but I can say that your mood changes throughout really capture the "adventure" atmosphere. The song turns Lavender Town into a broken down and barren yet varied metropolis if that makes any sense.