OCR02877 - Sonic the Hedgehog 'Sonicstep'

djpretzel

So, Rapstep, huh? Interesting. Now there's two styles I had a hard time imagining together, and yet here it is and it's actually decent. Not bad for something a little bit different.

I actually meant to remix one of my sister's band's rap songs with some dubstep, but these guys beat me to the punch! :lol: (I'm completely serious) Ironically, that song was called "Break Ya Spine", IIRC (read the lyrics; you'll see why it's kinda ironic).

Not sure I'm much of a fan of this though. It's not like I'm against these genres, but the execution felt predictable and a bit underwhelming. :|

Edited by timaeus222

I enjoyed this quite a bit actually. I'm a fan different music, especially when it combines multiple styles. The arrangement is nice, and I enjoyed the lyrics. Overall well executed and full of energy. I like dubstep, and appreciate good rapping. Plenty of that here.

Nope. Listened, didn't like it. The first ten seconds sound like what I would have liked from this song. Focuses too much on sounding loud. And this song demonstrates why rap and dubstep don't go together AND why a lot of people I know hate dubstep.

I miss the old days of OC Remix, ten years ago where it took more than sound effects abuse and passing skill on a MIDI keyboard to make a remix. OC Remix has really let its standards loosen up considerably the last few years. Ten years ago this song wouldn't have even made it to the judges panel.

Nope. Listened, didn't like it. The first ten seconds sound like what I would have liked from this song. Focuses too much on sounding loud. And this song demonstrates why rap and dubstep don't go together AND why a lot of people I know hate dubstep.

I miss the old days of OC Remix, ten years ago where it took more than sound effects abuse and passing skill on a MIDI keyboard to make a remix. OC Remix has really let its standards loosen up considerably the last few years. Ten years ago this song wouldn't have even made it to the judges panel.

ROFL. Well, I've been on the judges panel for 10 years as of next July, and I can tell you this would have been fine. :lol:

We stay very open-minded on what genres we allow, i.e. we don't let knee-jerk haters of dubstep, rap, metal, vocals or ANY genre determine what we post. "Too crazy, too weird, it's loud, I'm not comfortable" can't just automatically disqualify an arrangement.

A fan posted this great video on the merits of dubstep by PBS Idea Channel on our Facebook page: http://youtu.be/3l_hy33-1Yw

Dubstep's not for me personally, but that doesn't cloud my judgement. You certainly don't have to like it, but don't tell us that we've drastically dropped our standards or that this was no-effort MIDI transcription. Anyone saying the quality standards here have loosened over the past 10 years hasn't been listening to everything posted in the last 10 years. The sweeping generalization of the site over disliking one track is brain-numbingly hyperbolic.

Edited by Liontamer

Ironically, I'm pretty set on my strong belief that this wasn't as loud as "mainstream" dubstep (AKA soundcloud dubstep and youtube dubstep), and that's part of why I said the execution wasn't super strong.

That said, I liked the arrangement (the rap performance in particular) despite the straightforward approach, and production opinions I had were very minor, actually. Rap and dubstep *can* go together, because guess what? CHALLENGE ACCEPTED. It's possible; just takes the right person to tackle it, and my constant nudging towards my sister to go and request the stems from her band. :grin: Also kinda funny you liked the first seconds, because those *were* the sampling, and you'd be saying original > this remix. :lol:

And about the standards... they tapered off in 2007, last I heard, but they were rising before then, so 10 years ago, this really would have passed. Highly probable. Yes, old OC ReMixes *generally* were more captivating for me in terms of the overall package, but hey, maybe the "more likable ones" (MUCH emphasis on these quotes) are still in the queue.

Edited by timaeus222

• 1 year later...

I've heard rap with dubstep before, but some of the lyrics here don't work for me. They're just trying too hard, I guess. Can't do Sonic like this without sounding silly. One good thing I could say is that the flow keeps up with the beat well. Also, the different Sonic themes could be blended a bit better. Just a middle-of-the-road ReMix for me.