OCR00493 - Super Mario Bros. "The Italian Plumber"

Ginnsu

Super Mario Bros. 'The Italian Plumber'

Well, it’s about time. You would think somebody would think to give The Italian Plumber a song in traditional Italian style. I’m just got he finally got it. All that toilet fixing and princess saving is tough work, you know. He deserves this one. Excellent work, M.S. Mehawich, I hope to hear more, maybe one for Luigi.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I had to bring this thread back to the top. This piece just rules. It's delightfully arranged, in every way possible, and performed with flair. When I want to show people the pure joy of OC Remix, I play this for them... a remix in every sense, and it definitely deserves way more praise than these two little posts! Everybody now! Go get it!

(Whoever this "friend of M.S. Mehawich" is, you need to send more, dammit.) :D

• 5 months later...

This is a totally different approach to the classic tunes of Super Mario Bros than I'm used to, and I like it!

It's sort of a sad, bittersweet randition, with some totally awesome dissonance (yes, I did say "totally awesome") and nice medleys.

I found that sometimes it felt like they were about to go into something else, only to retract from it, which is kind of a disappointment.

The main reason this bothers me is because these are musicians who really know what they are doing, and I really wanted to hear them take on the ideas that sounded like they were about to start up...

...But alas... Did not...

Download now!

YES YOU!

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Wow, missed this one twice over now, and it seems so has everyone else. The production isn't perfect, but the fact that it is a live performance makes up for it. Stuff like this shows that even the best samples can only go so far, as there is a completely different feel and set of expectations when there is something performed live; Not only live, but triple-live, where the performers have to listen to each other and adapt to each phrase. Even tiny flaws add to something like this.

If only it wasn't so short. The underwater theme would have sounded great in this style.

• 1 year later...

I can't believe that this excellent remix has been so overlooked. This is one of my favorite mixes on the whole site - I've loved this one for years.

The minor key and different orchestrations of the familiar overworld theme really changes the atmosphere. It's a slightly sinister, very Italian sounding piece of music at the beginning, and it changes up somewhat with the inclusion of the invincibility theme in the middle before getting back to the standard overworld theme again.

The playing is excellent, especially for being done live - and I think some of the background noise helps it feel even more like live music from a high-end Italian restaurant and adds to the overall picture. It's very Godfather-esque and it's easy to picture Mario in that role with this kind of background music.

Do yourself a favor and download this underappreciated and very excellent mix. You won't look at Mario the same way after this.

• 2 months later...

I can almost imagine Mario being part of the Italian mafia after listening to this.

Yeah....

Mario in a gray pinstripe suit and fedora, holding a tommy gun and a "violin" case by his feet. :<

This just seems like a perfect companion piece to Koopa Vs. Kefka.

Both are intense, emotional, conflict-full, deeply complicated, and insightful to their respective characters.

I would have loved to hear this live.

This is an absolute must download now.

• 2 weeks later...

wow how did I miss this? HOW DOES THIS ONLY HAVE 2 PAGES OF COMMENTS?

arg.

I'm in love; the awesome chordal rearrangement had me from the minor 3rd...

and the violin playing is quite good. this could have been veryyyy painful, but it's not.

Everyone, please, check this out. It's quite awesome...this "friend" needs to submit more stuff!

• 10 months later...
I can almost imagine Mario being part of the Italian mafia after listening to this.

Yeah....

Mario in a gray pinstripe suit and fedora, holding a tommy gun and a "violin" case by his feet. :<

Hell yeah. Mario's got an offer ya can't refuse. Don't talk back or brudda Luigi's gonna have someone whacked. :-P

Kinda nice to hear a slower tempo with a song that is usually so hyper. Nice.

• 2 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00493 - Super Mario Bros. "The Italian Plumber"
  • 1 month later...