Legend of Zelda - Lost Woods

Hi! I'm a first time poster here but I would really like some feedback on where to go and what to do with this.

https://soundcloud.com/mikeheartu/coco-my-coco-puffs

I'm not really sure where I'd like to go after this but I like what's here so far. Generally speaking, I don't want to follow the way the music originally the entire way through. I'd like it to seem more like something I would normally write infused with Zelda.

Any feedback would be super appreciated :D Thanks so much!

Take my comments with a grain of salt as this isn't really my genre and I'm not at all a musician, BUT! I can give you my opinion all the same. :)

The driving beat, I feel, was its greatest strength and greatest weakness. A strength because it kept up the momentum, but a weakness because it drowned out the melody (which was left a little muddy in the background). I enjoyed the divergence at the end, and would personally like to hear more of that with the Lost Woods theme playing a subtle part.

That's my two cents, anyway. Good luck with music-making!

• 8 months later...

It's been a super long time since I've updated this whoops. I've finally found the time and space to update this track and try and turn it into something cool. Here you go!

It's missing a guitar solo after the second "chorus" and maybe something towards the end but this is my general idea!

https://soundcloud.com/mikeheartu/lost-woods-wip

I still don't want to follow the exact way the song is so this is kind of where I ended up. I think the second "verse" has most of my personality in it so if anything, I'd like to stay exactly the way it is. Also, finding some kind of "chorus" was difficult.

I mention this on soundcloud but this is one track where I sat back and listened and really had a hard time telling if I liked where it was going or where I was going with it. I've lost the sense of the original song, I think, and I don't know if that's good or bad.

Same as always, any feedback is much appreciated.