Jazz appreciation thread anyone?

Wiesty

Free masterclass from Chick Corea and Stanley Clarke available here. I watched it last night. They didn't answer many questions, but what's not to love about hearing Chick and Stanley play together, especially tunes from the Return To Forever and Light As A Feather albums, with Stanley on acoustic bass?

• 1 month later...

Bump.

So, I got into this guy

earlier this week. Pretty cool, methinks. He's a jazz pianist who takes influences from Armenian, Indian and other folk music, scat, and metal riffs. Very rhythmic music, for sure, which is great to me as a drummer, but I feel like he's got a decent sense of melody as well when he wants to bring it.

My favourite jazzmusician is definitely Ibrahim Maalouf. Seeing him live a few months ago must have been the best concert I've been to in my whole life. He's a French trumpetplayer who blends Jazz with Arabian shizzle on a whole new level. It kind of reminded me of Tigran Hamasyan, but then a lot livelier and more melodic.

Discovered this thread for the first time just now and the first post I see has already made me become a fan of somebody I had never heard of. All three of those tracks were awesome, but wow, that second one was killer!

I know that Pat Metheny's been mentioned a few times in this thread, but I wanted to mention his performance with the Metropole Orchestra. Here is their performance of "Proof":

I think the combination of a big band and small orchestra creates such a cool overall sound. The arrangement is very well done too. I'm curious to know if there's anything else that has this kind of instrumentation.