OCR00494 - Donkey Kong Country 2 "Brambles in the Breeze"

Ginnsu

Donkey Kong Country 2 'Brambles in the Breeze'

Protricity does an excellent job here with the flanged drums, and synth. I also love the piano, absolutely pristine. It’s got one very awesome conglomeration of instruments, in this one, and no lack of ear tingling effects either. Hope to hear lots more like this one, Protricity.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This remix is excellent. I actually downloaded this remix before playing the bramble levels in DKC2. The moment I heard it, I knew that the original would rock.

There is nothing that could be improved in this remix and any of Protricity's remixes, especially those in DKC2. Keep the good work up.

Now... THIS *point, poke*... THIS is a DKC2 Remix! The very first time I heard this, I just about went into shock at how totally great it made the awesome music of this level sound! I used to lay awake nights thinking of the theme from this level, way back when the SNES was a young system, back before 3D graphics were even heard of... I thought nothing could ever do it justice. And then I came across this remix. Even if you hate ambient and slow things, YOU MUST TAKE A LISTEN! This is worth every second, right to the last echo.

Oh yeah, the Remix itself. Lots of great drum beats, piano galore in EXACTLY the fashion I like it! Even though there's tons of great tracks out in the great OCR, this will ALWAYS remain as one of my all time favorites!

• 2 weeks later...

Funny story about this song. I was listening to this one day this past semester in my dorm room, and my friend AJ came to visit. AJ is the FPS type of gamer. He's a total PC gamer, yet doesn't play too much. He's big into sports, didn't know who Mega Man was when i first talked to him, and has no clue what ann emulator is. Much to my dismay, I like AJ, AJ's a good guy.

Anyways, AJ has a wide variety of musical tastes, but he's never really been into video game remixes cause he doesn't even know the originals. well when he heard this masterpiece he asked me to send it to him right away.

I thought nothing of it and figured oh well, and sent it. A few days later, he downloaded a few more of Protricity's tracks and put them all on his MP3 player. We go for a cup of coffee a week later, and he says "Check this out" and flips this on in the car. That's how powerful this track is. It moves, it stays true to the original, and it captivates the reader leaving them breathless from emotion. A true work of art and equal to, if not better than the original track. A++. A Must-Have!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Ah, this is a real beauty... it might be a little late to comment on it, but what the hell. Protricity really became one of my favorite mixers on this site with this one... I'm a HUGE fan of DKC, and this track does a bit more than JUSTICE to the track, my friends :P

Break it down... The startup is light and airy with those "paper thin" snares, and when that piano kicks in I just wanna sit down and lean back... That "mutated" electric guitar is the real star of this piece; it compliments the piano PERFECTLY. The sound at 2:58 always threw me off, and is the only thing that detracts from this; it sounds like an anvil snare being hit by a iron squeaky toy :P Thankfully it's smeared back into the precussion, but it is a little negitive.

Overall, this one FLOWS like buttah. A perfect song to make your mind drift away on an early September wind...

10/10

• 4 weeks later...

Stickerbrush Symphony (I think that's the actual name of the Bramble Theme) is probably the first piece of videogame music that ever stood out to me as being truly outstanding. I remember when I was really bored with DKC2 (Couldn't get past one of those blasted rollecoaster levels), and just messing around, and I came upon the sound test. When I listened to this track, I was shocked at how rich and powerful it was. It began with an airy, floating feeling, with just a hint of solemness. I can barely describe it. Then, after the first rendition of the main melody, the percussion kicks in. Almost like taking a nap in the treetops of the Amazon... resting in the gentle warmth, bathing in the flourescent green of the sun, shining through the leaves. And then, when that percussion started, it was like you woke up and said "What the Hell. Dude, I'm in the jungle!"

As beautiful as that piece was, this one kicks the everlasting piss out of it. It takes the feel of the first one and magnifies it tremendously, through use of better instruments, more depth, and hipper percussion. 8) This, and Scott Peeple's "Another Inspiration" are easily the two most amazing mixes on the site. I downloaded them over a year ago, and still listen regularly. If I'm stressed out, no matter what I'm stressed about, this mix takes me away from my complex life, and puts me back in those treetops. Such is the power of a good musical piece.

Protricity, you are awesome. :D

I have downloaded nearly 40 remixes from OC, and I can say that this is one of my favorites. It has a good sound, and all the beats and rhythms from the original song are noticeable, and that's something I respect.

I'd recommend this remix for any DKC2 fans out there, or just remix fans in general.

A great job was done with this remix. :)

• 4 weeks later...

This song in my opinion is one of the coolest video games songs of all time. I love what this guy Protricity has done with it. You guys remember the Bramble levels. That last one with Squaks was BITCH hard. I love DKC2. Definitely in my personal list of Top 10 Games of all time. This song is definitely in my list of top 10 OCremixes.

• 3 weeks later...

According to the modified date on my computer, it's officially been one year since I first heard this (yeah I'm a freak be quiet), and it's still my favorite vg remix. It stays close to the original (which rocks on its own) but does plenty of other neato stuff to keep you roped in. I can't get enough of it- 5 minutes, 32 seconds and it still feels too short. Ah, well, that's what the repeat button on my CD player is for. :P

Anyway, anyone who's played DKC2 will recognize this tune the second it starts, and then it really takes off with some awesome drums that still blow me away. Then that gorgeous piano comes in with the main melody... ok, kids, I'm not the world's biggest piano fan, but holy crap that sound is beautiful. The piano is joined by a nifty synthy sound playing the second part of the melody. Both instruments flow together SO well. And remember that little 5 note idea that played behind the melody in the original? That pops in all of a sudden at 1:50. It gave me shivers the first time I heard it, too. At 2:50, we break. I love that part. And then it's back into the melody, where piano plays around and mixes things up a bit. The ending is sublime, even if I still don't want it to end. :D

This song is absolutely jam packed with layers and layers of sound, and it all just works. Total bliss, I tell you.

• 1 month later...
:!: My god...i love this song. If the angels were to play a song when i die, i'd want it to be this. Whew...Never heard anything like THIS. This just goes to show me and other people thta it doesn't have to be fast to create a good beat. In fact, i think that more people would get to like slow songs if they listened to this. Wow, this is a great daydreamin' song too. Sometimes ill flick it on and sit outside on the patio. Helps me think a whole lot. I love this song. I could never say it enough. I think this is the song that dragged me into the OCR community. This song is defenitly worth it. A very big congratulations. :D

• 2 months later...

Beautiful...Absolutely beautiful. The original version of this song was awesome, and this one completes it with something I've honestly never heard before. Such a sad but mellow tone...And even with the quicker bass sound it doesn't sacrifice any of that original serenity. It stirs something up inside me that can't be ignored. This is one song that I know I'll never forget. Wonderful song, even better remix. You've made a fan today. ^_^

• 3 months later...

Its like its repetitive without repeating itself...I never get bored listening to this song. Time seems to melt away, or something poetic like that. Kinda has the same feel as the Crystalline Cavern's remix from Yoshi's Island.

Definately a favorite. 10/10 :D

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00494 - Donkey Kong Country 2 "Brambles in the Breeze"