OCR01475 - Zelda II "Mirror and Transparent"

• 1 month later...

One of those mixes where I just HAVE to post multiple times. This mix kicks my ass so well. The structure, the lasting appeal, the mood throughout, the precision with the cuts. If I had heard this song outside of OCR I would've still personally highlighted it and listened to it as one of my all time favourite tracks.

The fact that it's ON OCR, covering a zelda track, and by a guy whom I can actually contact and talk to... well... that's just one of the many reasons why I'm never getting tired of OCR in a nutshell.

Oh, heh, and the source tune as is SUCKS ASS! How can that not excite people about remixing's potential when we all come together like this. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

It took me a while to get to review this one. But I figured there wouldn't be a better time to do it than during 'OCR review month'.

Well, this is my ground zero of VG remixes, as it's the first remix I've ever heard.

But it's also the song by which everything started, the reason why I'm here, why I wanted to learn how to use synth, and start remixing.

Mirror and Transparent was so shockingly audacious, so far away from the clichés of any music I had heard so far, it simply grounded me on my chair the first time I heard it.

I remember thinking: "What can this person's reality be like, so that he/she can make such music? What makes it go this way? Why this choice here? Why this sound?" and so on...

Best of all, it was a song of one of my favorites videogames from my childhood, and I had no idea any other soul could see the VG music from back then as something else than blip and blop.

It striked me as such a revolutionary way to make music, that up to this day, I can't really manage to be objective about it...

Ok, I could if I really wanted to, but clearly I don't wanna rob it from its meaning. ;p

To me, this song symbolizes hope, joy, enthusiasm, and is the dawn of a new world of musical possibilities I had never envisaged before.

It is truly an inspirational and even motivational song for me. One that I'm constantly going back to.

If you haven't guessed it at this point, I'll let the cat out now: Mirror and Transparent is my favorite video game remix to date.

And despite being able to toroughly enjoy all the amazing remixes and talent the community has to offer, this one will always hold a special place.

Thanks to Rellik for creating this jewel, and to OCR for sharing it with the world.

This one definitely gets more interesting as it moves on. It starts out as kind of a hi-fi videogamey throwback, which is a neat idea in itself. I agree with whoever said that the sounds are very genesis-like (the system, not the band!). I think the sound design in general is very good, for what the mix is trying to accomplish. I was pretty sure it was gonna coast on its groove till the end, which would have been fine if not super memorable for me, but Rellik really picks up the slack around the time the melody comes back in for a second time (around 1:50 or so) and runs with some very cool ideas. There's some subtle variations in the melody that fall into this crazy drum part. And then the cutting up effect that comes in here was really neat too, he managed to make it sound pretty unique and not cliche at all.

I would've liked it if this gone on a little bit longer and had an actual ending, but as it is I think this is pretty darn cool.

• 2 weeks later...

Great opening synth, I love this sort of sound, it really has a lot of character. Panned sharper-toned synths make a compelling foil to the lead, and the bass is happily moving around. I don't completely recognize the source, but it's been quite some time since i've played Zelda 2, so hopefully I can be forgiven. Not knowing the theme certainly doesn't make this inaccessible, as this track can easily be enjoyed by anyone.

Very good stuff.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Long time listener, first time poster, and seems fitting to post on one of the very first tracks that introduced me to OCR. Even 7.5 years later this ReMix is still just as powerful as the day I first heard it. Whenever I'm out on a walk or at work and my mp3 player brings this mix back up, always makes me stop for a moment; certainly holds a special place in my heart.

• 1 year later...

My favorite remix of my favorite Zelda title (it was the first one that I played, c'mon). To me, a remix really feels at its highest level of success when it brings out the themes and motifs of a game's story and concept in a stronger or new and interesting way. This track most definitely does that for Zelda II. Plus, all of those acoustically juxtaposed synths really just leave ya feeling good deep down.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01475 - Zelda II "Mirror and Transparent"