Dungeon Theme in 5/8

https://soundcloud.com/nosoup4you/first-descent

Hey all, here's my first attempt at video game music. I've been writing songs for years, but never tried something like this before. I'm going for a dark RPG vibe like Baroque, with some Squaresoft influence of course.

There's some things I'm not satisfied with yet, but I dunno. I've lost some enthusiasm for it at the moment. Writing over this rhythm and set of chords was hard...

In particular, I wanted distinctive melodies, but they came out more as solos. I'm not sure if it's too dense or busy for a looping track... Maybe it would get annoying after 20 listens. I dunno. The production might also be messy later on. Just playing with some new choir samples.

And if anyone could direct me to a better trumpet library than Komplete, that'd be swell... ha.

Edited by NoSoup4you

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, that's good advice, thanks. I wasn't sure if anyone was going to reply.

Figured I'd try to address the "busy" question, so I set it on loop and went to play a game. I didn't find it distracting at all, though when I actually sit down and listen to it, the synth that comes in at ~1.10 might be a bit too prominent.

Hmm... Sounds fine on ATH-M50s. I am kind of working blind on the bassier stuff without proper monitors. As long as the composition's good, I'll reference this on other speakers later.

Only thing I didn't like that much was the cymbal pattern changing pitch on the third last hit, sounds a little unnatural to my ear. Did you just change the pitch of the same sample or use a different one? (Now that I think about it, the drums may be a bit unnatural in general, though it's not a huge problem.)

The drums are just Sonar's default TTS-1 synth... I was using it as a placeholder, but I'm actually happy with it aside from the ride cymbal. Might borrow one from Superior Drummer.

I'll try to comment on some other threads here. I've had a really hard time finding an active community for this.

Edited by NoSoup4you