Extereo Audio Player

soflete

Hi everyone. I have been following OCRemix for a couple of years now. It was three years ago when I released Stereochrome, a Chrome Extension that would allow users to stream music directly from the browser. It worked well on OCRemix, but when ex.fm was released, I gave up on the project.

Recently, ex.fm changed the focus of their extension so I decided to make a new extension called Extereo Audio Player. I use it myself and I have been tweaking it to suit my needs. But I do not think that is the best way to build good software. I wanted to share it with you and see if it is of any use to anyone else than me. I would also really appreciate your questions and/or feedback.

Thanks in advance,

Leandro M. Peralta

Developer

I've seen this extension when you posted it on the DoD facebook page, I think it's a really good idea! I've tried it out a little and it worked fine :mrgreen:

Thanks for the feedback! I am glad you like the idea.

I forgot to say that I created a Facebook and a Google+ pages for the Extension. If any of you is an artist and has any personal sites where you share your music, please let me know and I'll post them on those pages. I think sites like OCRemix or DoD do an awesome job sharing music with the community with no third-parties in the middle. I created Extereo to help make this exchange a bit easier.

I work on this project on my spare time and I have a few ideas related to creating, storing and sharing playlists with other people. OCRemix has so much material that sometimes I would like to have a simple way to group the tracks together by game, mood, etc. But before I start working on that, I need to know if there is people interested in it.

Any suggestion is very welcome.

• 3 weeks later...

I have just added a new feature: m3u download. I have been looking into standard playlist file formats and m3u seems to be the simplest to implement and is widely supported by media players.

I'll start building a collection of playlists that group tracks by game and artist. I just have to figure out a nice and simple way to share them afterwards.

I have just added a new feature: m3u download. I have been looking into standard playlist file formats and m3u seems to be the simplest to implement and is widely supported by media players.

I'll start building a collection of playlists that group tracks by game and artist. I just have to figure out a nice and simple way to share them afterwards.

Well, grouping tracks by game might be tricky if you're gonna automate it, since the way game names are stored differs from site to site, for example ocremix uses the Original Album tag for the game, while DoD uses the Genre tag.

Good luck with this :)

Well, grouping tracks by game might be tricky if you're gonna automate it, since the way game names are stored differs from site to site, for example ocremix uses the Original Album tag for the game, while DoD uses the Genre tag.

That's true. I was thinking of a more manual task, just to have my personal collection of game music. After all, it's not only about what games you like but also what artists you prefer and what particular track you like the most. I am interested in enabling people to create and share their own playlists. M3U seems like a good starting point.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello again! I've added a new feature to Extereo: You can now store your playlists in your browser's bookmarks.

I've been looking into ways of saving my Extereo playlists and I decided bookmarks was the best option: you can synchronize and access them from any instance of your browser in any computer quickly, you can export them and reorganize them using the default Bookmark Manager and there is no need for a 3rd party service for this storing your playlists.

I hope you find this new feature useful! Any type of feedback would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

Leandro.

oof.

While an impressive piece of software, I've got to say that we really don't want people constantly streaming MP3s from the site every time they want to listen to remixes. We prefer people download the MP3s or use YouTube as a streaming solution. I realize that YouTube's sound quality doesn't match the MP3 download, but OCR's bandwidth isn't free nor is it unlimited. We run through a lot of bandwidth every month already, and if something like this is used more and more by visitors of OC ReMix in lieu of downloading once and playing the music from local files, that's only going to increase bandwidth usage. It also directly accesses MP3s and circumvents the download pages, which have ads on them that keep OCR up and running. :\

Gonna have to close this.