Orchestral remix of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Slimy

Newest: https://soundcloud.com/slimy-4/a-brief-history-of-hyrule-1

I made an orchestral remix of mostly the intro and prologue song, but I also added in some variations of other songs.

(Original: https://soundcloud.com/slimy-4/the-legend-of-zelda-a-link-to-the-past-remix-of-intro)

After the fanfare-ish intro, It begins with a loose variation of the intro and Triforce theme before transitioning into the prologue music, the song then transitions into a variation of Agahnim's theme, symbolic of all the evil stuff he does in the prologue. Then it transitions into a (hopeful sounding?) variation of Zelda's theme, and ends with a snippet of the overworld theme. Just to sound heroic.

Here are the sources:

Opening:

Agahnim's theme:

Zelda's theme:

(only used a seconds of these but here they are)

Triforce theme:

Overworld theme:

Feedback would be appreciated!

Edited by XPRTNovice

Overall I like it! Very seamless transitions.

The volume in the beginning of the piece I think was a tad to loud. When it transitioned at 0:25 I feel like I had to kind of struggle to hear all the layers of instruments playing.

1:36 I really liked the volume swell, it drew me back into the piece.

From 2:30 to 2:50 it felt like there was a lot going on, kind of disorienting, but it did give that very ominous feel. However I really liked the transition at the very end.

I am new to the site though so take all I say with a grain of salt, haha, Nice work my friend.

The volume in the beginning of the piece I think was a tad to loud. When it transitioned at 0:25 I feel like I had to kind of struggle to hear all the layers of instruments playing.

I'm not so sure that it's a problem. Except for the swell at the end, the fanfare isn't louder than the crescendo at 1:37. And if I were writing a score for this, the fanfare would have a dynamic marking of ff, 1:37 would have an f, and 0:25 would have a p or mp. The fanfare is supposed to be loud, so, are you sure you didn't just have your speakers turned low because of the fanfare?

Thanks for the feedback though!

Overall I like it! Very seamless transitions.

1:36 I really liked the volume swell, it drew me back into the piece.

From 2:30 to 2:50 it felt like there was a lot going on, kind of disorienting, but it did give that very ominous feel. However I really liked the transition at the very end.

I am new to the site though so take all I say with a grain of salt, haha, Nice work my friend.

I listen to everything at the same set volume as I'm already good to go on a consistent volume, and everything is audible to the extent of the mixing.

2:30 - 2:50 wasn't cluttered. Sounded normal to me. Things were mixed audibly/distinctly.

Amazing production, a very enjoyable adaptation. But it is basically a medley of covers, and the judges will probably reject it just on those grounds.

It's also so ambitious in production that it feels really short. Orchestral scores, like this one is trying to be, are usually very long. My personal advice would be to take what you have and add more personalized content to it. For something like this, 6 or 7 minutes is probably not too long.

Amazing production, a very enjoyable adaptation. But it is basically a medley of covers, and the judges will probably reject it just on those grounds.

It's also so ambitious in production that it feels really short. Orchestral scores, like this one is trying to be, are usually very long. My personal advice would be to take what you have and add more personalized content to it. For something like this, 6 or 7 minutes is probably not too long.

There's an original bit at 1:24, and Agahnim's theme is hardly at all like the original.

But I'll try to add an introduction bit before the prologue song. It could start at a mf and decrescendo, making that transition less jarring.

• 2 weeks later...

https://soundcloud.com/slimy-4/a-brief-history-of-hyrule-1

I didn't like the remix-to-original ratio, so I sprinkled the triforce theme into the original part I added. It actually fits because one of the first things mentioned in the prologue is the "golden power." I also added a variation in the prologue, and made the ending louder.

Feedback would be appreciated!

Well the first half minute is really just source verbatim. Not bad, just no points for original arrangement. It goes into a much more interesting arrangement. I keep spotting references to various Zelda tracks, but it's not really until the buildup around 2 minutes in that I can clearly identify the source used. I think the source usage/interpretation is fine.

Nice and dynamic, and I think it avoids being a medley by having the body of the track be the Opening, and using the other sources to lead into and out of it. The judges might see things differently. Hard to say. I don't have any issue with the arrangement, but my orchestral chops aren't quite up to par so someone better versed in orchestration might spot obvious and annoying flaws that fly right over my head. Just a heads-up.

I find the instrumentation a bit too fakey. It might be that the woodwinds are too loud, the strings don't move realistically which is made all the more obvious when they're exposed in the more sparse parts of the track, or other things like that. Unfortunately I can't offer much more than a general "it doesn't sound real enough" on this point.

I wouldn't be comfortable passing this, but I'm not a judge. You should probably grab some recent orchestral tracks (or better yet, actual orchestra recordings) and use those for reference. If you find something resembling this track in style and dynamics, you'll have an easier time figuring out what parts stand out as the most fake, and have an easier time dealing with them.

Any more orchestrally versed workshop mods around to provide some more useful crits on this?