rRPC - The Remix Role-Playing Competition (Congratulations to Jason Covenant and evktalo)

FenixDown

We're 1/4 of the way to filling out the target roster. And everyone's number one picks are split evenly between heroes and villains too.

So far we've got in the heroes bracket:

urdailywater with Nepgear's Theme Ver. V from Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory

Nonamer with Felix (Traversing Weyard) from Golden Sun: the Lost Age

Ethan Rex with Frog's Theme from Chrono Trigger

HoboKa with Aya's Theme from Parasite Eve

And in the villains bracket:

Jason Covenant with Pokey's Theme from Earthbound

Mindwanderer with Gades (Battle Against Sinistrals) from Lufia 2

Ghetto Lee Lewis with Sherincal (Sherincal of the Chimera) from Icewind Dale 2

Saint Paradox with Team Skull's Skuntank (A Sinister Smell) from Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Time

I'm pleased with the amount of diversity in everyone's number one selections so far.

What about my choices?

E: Shoot, never mind. Will be PMing you shortly.

Edited by NovaReaper

We're 1/4 of the way to filling out the target roster. And everyone's number one picks are split evenly between heroes and villains too.

So far we've got in the heroes bracket:

urdailywater with Nepgear's Theme Ver. V from Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory

Nonamer with Felix (Traversing Weyard) from Golden Sun: the Lost Age

Ethan Rex with Frog's Theme from Chrono Trigger

HoboKa with Aya's Theme from Parasite Eve

And in the villains bracket:

Jason Covenant with Pokey's Theme from Earthbound

Mindwanderer with Gades (Battle Against Sinistrals) from Lufia 2

Ghetto Lee Lewis with Sherincal (Sherincal of the Chimera) from Icewind Dale 2

Saint Paradox with Team Skull's Skuntank (A Sinister Smell) from Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Time

I'm pleased with the amount of diversity in everyone's number one selections so far.

Good to see a bunch of under-represented titles in here - looking forward to this compo for sure :nicework:

Did you guys give him a pm with your picks...and in the right format? I got into trouble by not doing it the way he wanted :tomatoface:

Trouble is such a strong word. I'm just trying to keep all the sign ups uniform to keep it easy to organize. I got their PMs now but I'm just going to leave this here since it's kind of a recurring thing:

Submissions for characters should be typed as: [“Game Title” - “Character’s Name (Theme Name)” - “Hero” or “Villain”].

Also, NovaReaper, for your number one pick, are you running as Ren or Tlachtga, or are they an inseparable pair like Zorn and Thorn or Solt and Peppor?

Edit: You're more than welcome if you change your mind, evktalo.

Trouble is such a strong word. I'm just trying to keep all the sign ups uniform to keep it easy to organize. I got their PMs now but I'm just going to leave this here since it's kind of a recurring thing:

Also, NovaReaper, for your number one pick, are you running as Ren or Tlachtga, or are they an inseparable pair like Zorn and Thorn or Solt and Peppor?

Edit: You're more than welcome if you change your mind, evktalo.

Inseperable pair.

No worries man. It's all good and thank you for resubmitting the sign up list.

Inseparable pair.

Alright, thanks for clearing that up for me.

It's still early but I am amazed we haven't had a single Final Fantasy theme as a #1 pick yet. While I was still preparing the opening post for the compo, I was imagining half the line up being FF-related. I'm not in any way saying we need that much FF in the compo (but I'll take it if that's what people want to run with), I'm just pleasantly surprised by the selection we've had so far.

Keep 'em coming!

No worries man. It's all good and thank you for resubmitting the sign up list.

Alright, thanks for clearing that up for me.

It's still early but I am amazed we haven't had a single Final Fantasy theme as a #1 pick yet. While I was still preparing the opening post for the compo, I was imagining half the line up being FF-related. I'm not in any way saying we need that much FF in the compo (but I'll take it if that's what people want to run with), I'm just pleasantly surprised by the selection we've had so far.

Keep 'em coming!

I think the temptation was there, but most of us are choosing more diverse sources so that we can see more potential remixes of our source. I chose Fenix not because I can remix it best, but because I want everyone else to work on tracks for Golden Sun. A subtle nudge.

Speaking of Final Fantasy, are there any rules regarding that series? For instance, can there be one person remixing Kefka from FFVI while someone else does Zidane's theme from FFIX?

Is it bad that I'm tempted to pick something from Spongebob Squarepants: Battle for Bikini Bottom (in an annoying color that you can't read) as one of my choices? It'd have to be a boss though because there aren't any real Hero themes, unless there's a specific theme in the Dreamworld stage for each character (There's only one theme, but it's technically called "Spongebob's Dream" so I don't know if you could call it a theme for Spongebob...)

I'll have to think over this some more. When is the signing up deadline again?

I think the temptation was there, but most of us are choosing more diverse sources so that we can see more potential remixes of our source. I chose Fenix not because I can remix it best, but because I want everyone else to work on tracks for Golden Sun. A subtle nudge.

Speaking of Final Fantasy, are there any rules regarding that series? For instance, can there be one person remixing Kefka from FFVI while someone else does Zidane's theme from FFIX?

Oh yeah I definitely get you on that. That thought process was one of the driving forces that got me to start planning the rRPC.

Anyway, in regards to the Final Fantasy question, there are no special rules regarding FF that wouldn't apply to any other series.

Edit: Is that game an RPG? Also, the music would have to be original to the game and not from the cartoon since this is OCR. The deadline is midnight Eastern time on Friday, June 6th so you've still got time to think about it.

Edited by FenixDown

Is it bad that I'm tempted to pick something from Spongebob Squarepants: Battle for Bikini Bottom (in an annoying color that you can't read) as one of my choices? It'd have to be a boss though because there aren't any real Hero themes, unless there's a specific theme in the Dreamworld stage for each character (There's only one theme, but it's technically called "Spongebob's Dream" so I don't know if you could call it a theme for Spongebob...)

I'll have to think over this some more. When is the signing up deadline again?

While I LOVE the music from this game, unfortunately it's more of an Action-Adventure game, and not an RPG. It's basically like Spyro or Ratchet and Clank.

It's basically like Spyro or Ratchet and Clank.
The later Ratchet & Clank games have some significant RPG elements. You level up weapons as a function of use, you gain HP by killing things, there are money and shops. I don't see how it's less of an RPG than Zelda (although personally I don't consider Zelda an RPG, many people do).

Trouble is such a strong word. I'm just trying to keep all the sign ups uniform to keep it easy to organize. I got their PMs now but I'm just going to leave this here since it's kind of a recurring thing

So, should I send my PM again or is it not necessary. I really oversaw the required format

I'm wondering about the whereabouts of the hype myself. I received sign-up number 11 earlier today though I need it resubmitted with the names of the intended character themes. Still got a long climb to get to that lofty 32 participants goal.

Also, since it got brought up, I should weigh in on the Zelda: RPG or not? subject. I do not consider the Legend of Zelda to be an RPG series, they are action/adventure with puzzle-solving elements. However, Zelda II: The Adventure of Link does contain quite a few RPG elements and would likely qualify as an action RPG by today's standards. If someone were to sign up as Link with the overworld theme from Zelda II as his theme (I can't think of any other tracks from the game that would fit better), I would probably give it a pass. But that's the only exception.

Hi, here are my picks:

-Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - Dark King - Villain

(Dark King's Theme)

-Final Fantasy IV - Cecil - Hero

(The Red Wings)

-Chronno Trigger- Robo - Hero

(Robo's Theme)

-Fire Emblem 7 - Nergal - Villain

(Everything Into The Dark)

-Tactics Ogre Knight of Lodis - Shaher - Villain

(The Final Battle )

If someone were to sign up as Link with the overworld theme from Zelda II as his theme (I can't think of any other tracks from the game that would fit better), I would probably give it a pass. But that's the only exception.

So if a character doesn't have a specific theme we could just use a song from the game?

So if a character doesn't have a specific theme we could just use a song from the game?

If the song is associated with the character closely enough. For example, Cecil from FFIV does not have a theme that is specifically his own like Rydia or Golbez do, but the Red Wings theme is close enough to his character that it would be an acceptable alternative. So long as the theme in question has a simple, logical connection to the character (theme of the group he/she leads, a track that plays during a key point in his/her story, etc.), it should be fine.

Edited by FenixDown