rRPC - The Remix Role-Playing Competition (Congratulations to Jason Covenant and evktalo)

FenixDown

Because Ghetto Lee Lewis has already given his ok on the matter and I would hate to see any competitors advance by default, I will allow it this time. I don't want to be inflexible on these matters but please, and this goes to everyone, be mindful of the deadlines in the future. As soon as I get the music from Supercoolmike I will get to work on including it in the zip file. Anyone who already downloaded it, please do so again after I make my next post.

Alright, so before we get much further, I'm going to go ahead and throw in the towel, because even if I were to win between Jason and I, I'll be out of the country for a week starting this Saturday, and most likely wouldn't have time to participate in Round 2. Again, that's assuming that I would have won the vote.

That being said, good luck to Jason on the rounds to come. Go kick some villainous ass!

Alright, so before we get much further, I'm going to go ahead and throw in the towel, because even if I were to win between Jason and I, I'll be out of the country for a week starting this Saturday, and most likely wouldn't have time to participate in Round 2. Again, that's assuming that I would have won the vote.

That being said, good luck to Jason on the rounds to come. Go kick some villainous ass!

That's unfortunate, but thanks for the heads up. I've made a note of your withdrawal. I'm prepared to close the voting thread now, but before I do, I want to know if you guys still want to voice your opinions on that match up even if Jason Covenant advances by default. I'll leave it open if you do.

Thanks for the updates as well, Heroes. Also don't forget to vote on the Villain tracks everyone.

That's unfortunate, but thanks for the heads up. I've made a note of your withdrawal. I'm prepared to close the voting thread now, but before I do, I want to know if you guys still want to voice your opinions on that match up even if Jason Covenant advances by default. I'll leave it open if you do.

Thanks for the updates as well, Heroes. Also don't forget to vote on the Villain tracks everyone.

I personally would still like to hear people's opinions on the match up, just to see what others thought of our tracks.

That's fine with me, I am also curious how people will vote for this match-up (as I am for the others). I'll keep it open.

On a side note, I am aiming to appear on OCR Talkback again tomorrow evening to go over compo progress so far and to encourage people to vote during this round and beyond. If there's anything you want me to address on the air, or any questions about the compo you have (or just questions for anyone), you can send them to @ocremix via Twitter with the hashtag #ocrtalkback. It does not have to be sent during the show.

Edit: OA has updated the Hero Bracket graphic on the first post of the thread. The round one match-ups were shuffled around for the purposes of organization and making it clearer who advanced to what position, as well as, who acquired which summons.

Edited by FenixDown

We're getting some voting action now, which is good. But we shouldn't forget to offer some reviews to our villains' tracks as well.

Anorax - Demons Next Door

Pretty creative use of the source themes. I like where you're going with it, though it doesn't quite feel cohesive to me. It's kinda like two shorter mixes of the same sources played back to back. I hope you revisit this one later on.

Jason Covenant - Pokey the Poker

This was an interesting one to listen to. The use of vocals and choir worked pretty well. I'm sure others better versed in critiquing music than I am will find things to point out about the mix.

Mindwanderer - My Doom Is Bigger

I like the concept of this one. Definitely captures the spirit of the villains vs villains aspect of the compo. The arrangement is pretty good overall, though I'd say the production could use some work.

gercr - Chaos and Destruction

I know this was an earlier WIP and you weren't feeling satisfied with the more fleshed out version you were in the process of creating before the deadline caught up to you. I think this is a good foundation to work with and I would like to hear it again after you've had some time to flesh it out and improve the production.

Xenonetix - A Stormy Sniffle

This mix is pretty good. I particularly liked the merging of the two themes near the end of the track. I'm sure more could still be done with it, but I like what you've already done.

Supercoolmike - Wandering eyes

I like the direction this mix is going in. I can tell you were probably planning to add more to it at the end. There were some notes that sounded kind of off to me after the one minute mark. I would like to hear a completed version of this mix someday.

Ghetto Lee Lewis - Soul Rape

I'm not what one would call a fan of dubstep, but this track, for the most part, does manage to use distortion in a more tasteful manner than most dubstep I've heard in recent memory. The electronic voices were a nice touch, though I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what is being said. The mix is done well and it definitely stands out to me.

Thank you Villains for submitting in round one! If anyone else has any reviews for the round's submissions, feel free to post them.

Yep, unfortunately time was my mortal enemy this round :P

I actually thought of not uploading anything, since it was on such an early stage, but I didnt wanted to forfeit, so at least I lost like a man, fighting :D

Originally I was remaking all the lead guitars, also i wanted to make a better orchestra style intro, and add a keyboard synth solo. (also didn´t have time to work on the mix)

I thing it was really more than I can make with the time in hand, considering that almost everything was made from scratch with real instruments. ( no midis there )

I will probably never finish the song, but at least it was fun to make, and also I think every thing I do serves to grow and improve, even if its just a little.

ya same here gercr. I didn't realize how much time I actually didn't have on the work since i was babysitting my lil nephew... on the night before the due date for submissions, I didn't want to stay up late and thought to myself," I'll just wake up early in the morning to finish it."... PFFT!!! that sure as hell didn't happen,lol... I overslept and was able to still upload, so i rushed the hell of the last ideas I had so that it at least touched 2 mins( the harp and pizzacatto strings part). I said," fuk it! Its done". lol.quickly save and export the WIP...If people felt like the end was super rushed or off, its because it was. XD

I overslept and was able to still upload, so i rushed the hell of the last ideas I had so that it at least touched 2 mins( the harp and pizzacatto strings part). I said," fuk it! Its done". lol.quickly save and export the WIP...If people felt like the end was super rushed or off, its because it was. XD

My main issue with it is that I can't hear Sherincal's theme in it at all. The theme is from Icewind Dale 2, one of my favorite games, so the source is something I've heard hundreds of times. Think you could do a source breakdown for it?

If he doesn't get a chance to, then gercr, DragonAvenger, or timaeus222, could you point out where you heard Sherincal's theme in his wip? You must've thought you heard it, since you voted for that mix.

Thanks in advance.

My main issue with it is that I can't hear Sherincal's theme in it at all. The theme is from Icewind Dale 2, one of my favorite games, so the source is something I've heard hundreds of times. Think you could do a source breakdown for it?

If he doesn't get a chance to, then gercr, DragonAvenger, or timaeus222, could you point out where you heard Sherincal's theme in his wip? You must've thought you heard it, since you voted for that mix.

Thanks in advance.

To be honest, I actually didn't have the time to listen for both sources, but here you go:

The leitmotif was changed to more heroic intervals, but I recognized it. I thought it was a pretty cool adjustment to the intended key, which is totally fine in general, as for example, Neblix changed both Plug Man (MM9) and Elec Man (MM1) to a minor key in Blackout Tower, and no judge felt like either source was missing. ChaosRayZero on YouTube said, "I was wondering where the Elecman music was when it hit me... Playing it in minor key like that was GENIUS!!! ^~^♫". It's basically a mood change with the source. Depends on how you take it, but I think it was a-ok.

0:03.51 - 0:05.94 = Source (0:14 - 0:22)

0:07.44 - 0:09.71, etc. =/= Source (0:14 - 0:22) <--- similar, sounds like a modal shift, same rhythm, but not close enough, IMO

0:19.55 - 0:22.04 = Source (0:14 - 0:22)

0:36.04 - 0:38.06 = Source (0:14 - 0:22)

etc. Wherever that harp plays those notes.

Edited by timaeus222