rRPC - The Remix Role-Playing Competition (Congratulations to Jason Covenant and evktalo)

FenixDown

I'll give you the time you need. Ghetto Lee Lewis asked me to give the villains an extra week so you'll have time to recover. Keep me posted on how the mix is going and how you're faring and we'll play it as it goes. Even if it means pushing the rest of the compo back a week, I'm willing to give you a fair shot of submitting a quality mix. If all you need is an extra day or two, I'll still be able to do the vote this week, but we'll just see how things are going on your end.

I am still expecting the heroes to have their music ready by the deadline.

I'll give you the time you need. Ghetto Lee Lewis asked me to give the villains an extra week so you'll have time to recover. Keep me posted on how the mix is going and how you're faring and we'll play it as it goes. Even if it means pushing the rest of the compo back a week, I'm willing to give you a fair shot of submitting a quality mix. If all you need is an extra day or two, I'll still be able to do the vote this week, but we'll just see how things are going on your end.

I am still expecting the heroes to have their music ready by the deadline.

Yeah, mine's going to be short, but then again what track of mine is long amirite?

It'll be coming!

edit: Sent! Still had to leave a few holes in the arrangement and couldn't put every bit of the source(s) I was intending, but I'm pretty happy with what I could achieve. I obviously need to gauge a bit better what I can achieve in what time. I really needed the extension and used pretty much all of it (not that I had every moment of the week for making this thing but anyway!)

Edited by evktalo

Both Heroes have submitted their music and will be made available for voting shortly. In the meantime...

The heroes who had fallen behind arrived at the entrance of the Divinity Tower one by one. As the final heroes arrived, a brilliant burst of light from within the tower caught everyone’s attention. Several denizens of darkness appeared in the chamber, blocking the heroes’ path forward. No longer on opposing sides, the unified villains fix their murderous gazes upon the heroes. The combatants on both sides draw their weapons and charge into battle.

Fallen Round: Boss Gauntlet

While the finalists are being determined, the Fallen are given one last chance to participate in the rRPC. The rest of the Heroes have finally arrived on the scene to offer their support to their champion. But they find themselves stonewalled by the minions of the Final Boss.

This round is open to all Fallen participants regardless of which bracket they were a part of. Participants are not required to make mixes for this round, it is simply a bonus round to keep things going as people vote on who will be the finalists of the rRPC. Fallen mixers may choose one of the boss battle themes I’ve provided, or one of the character themes from other Fallen participants to combine with their own theme. The boss themes are:

Purification of Darkness ~ Battle With the Parts - Grandia 2

Boss Battle (Crisis, Opportunity) - Skies of Arcadia

Fallen mixers will be given two weeks to submit their music. They will be due on Monday, August 4th at noon EST. Heroes, Villains, rally behind your champion and stand strong!

Voting for the Hero Bracket side of the Semifinals is now open! You may download the round’s zip folder here. Voting may be done in the rRPC Social Group and will remain open until noon EST on Monday, July/28. If you want to post reviews of the round’s tracks, do so in a single post in this thread.

For easy access to the source themes used in each round, check out the rRPC Roster.

Just so you guys know, about ten minutes after I finished preparing the compo stuff from yesterday, I lost my internet service at home. What seems to have happened was a tree that was being cut down apparently landed on an underground cable that we get our internet from. After reporting the problem to Comcast, it sounds like they don't expect to be able to look at it until Friday morning. So I won't be around much this week until that gets sorted out, but it should hopefully be taken care of before the next deadline.

Just a reminder for everyone to vote on the two tracks on the Hero Bracket. Deadline is tomorrow at noon EST. Here are some thoughts I have on the submissions this week.

Ethan Rex - Super Chrono Kart X: First off, I was not expecting anyone to make a mix in a style like this. Makes me want someone to mod Frog into Super Mario Kart and play this for a course. On to the mix, as you've already noted, it is pretty short but you do use both sources. It's a fun and creative mix idea though the sound quality, while being faithful to Super Mario Kart's style, is a bit lower than I'd prefer. I did enjoy it, nicely done.

evktalo - The Point of No Refund: Glad to see the extended deadline served you well. I'm liking what you came up with. I think the electronic instrumentation starting around the 1:25 point are a bit on the harsh side. Definitely liking where you're going with it, and from what you've said before, it sounded like you still had other ideas to implement into it, so I look forward to hearing a finalized version someday.

Thanks a lot for submitting guys. Looking forward to getting the Villains' tracks tomorrow.

Congratulations to our finalist on the Hero Bracket: evktalo!

Voting for the Villain Bracket side of the Semifinals is now open! You may download the round’s zip folder here. Voting may be done in the rRPC Social Group and will remain open until noon EST on Monday, August 4. If you want to post reviews of the round’s tracks, do so in a single post in this thread.

For easy access to the source themes used in each round, check out the rRPC Roster.

I do still need the lyrics for Jason Covenant's track. I will add those to the zip folder after he has turned them in to me.

Some thoughts on the villain side of the semis.

Jason Covenant - Pokey the Stroker

The intro gives me the mental image of the start of an old timey black and white film. Lyrics are pretty catchy. Sherincal's theme is more predominant but I think I can hear Pokey's theme in the background and in the percussion at the end. It's a good piece.

Ghetto Lee Lewis - Poking Violation Instrumental Version

I like the feel of this mix. I'm curious how the vocal version would sound. Just like with Jason's mix, Sherincal's theme makes up the bulk of this track, but I did hear a little Pokey in there. I hope you follow this up with a vocal version soon.

So, there's only about two and a half hours to go before the voting period closes on the semifinals. If you haven't voted yet, now would be the time to do it. The finals will begin after I have tallied the votes and determined who will be our final boss. Thank you very much for your submissions everyone.

Edit: Almost forgot, if any of the Fallen were working on bonus round mixes, that deadline is also at noon EST today. Since no one has said a word about that, I'm assuming interest was not very high. If any of the Fallen are interested in doing a boss battle theme mix, let me know and I'll extend that deadline until the finals submission date. Otherwise we'll just leave it at that and focus strictly on finals.

Edited by FenixDown

Marth ascended to the top floor of the tower and found himself in a large chamber. On the far end, resting upon a pedestal, was the Divinity Orb. The Orb shone in a myriad of colors that constantly shifted from one to another. Marth took a step towards the Orb and the light suddenly changed to a harsh red. Visible for the first time, with one hand rested firmly atop the Divinity Orb, was Pokey.

The villain sneered as the crimson light surrounded his body. Marth could feel Pokey’s growing power from where he stood, but he could not allow his resolve to waver. He drew his sword and marveled as the blade glowed in blazing blue light. Traces of blue swirled amidst the red glow of the Divinity Orb as it resonated with the heart of the hero. Empowered by the Orb, hero and villain enter into battle with the fate of the world hanging in the balance.

The Finals: The Fate of the World

First off, congratulations to our Villain finalist: Jason Covenant! Also congratulations to Ethan Rex and Ghetto Lee Lewis for making it to the semis. The rRPC is nearing its end as the Finals are now set to begin. The final battle will pit evktalo’s Marth against Jason Covenant’s Pokey.

For this final battle, the participants must use the character theme they signed up with and mix that with their opponent's theme. The Summon System is no longer available. Also, the tracks should be titled in the same format as was used in the Villain Bracket.

Finalists will have until noon EST on Monday, August 11 to submit their mixes to me. Voting to determine the winner of the ReMix Role-Playing Competition will then take place for the following week. The final battle is upon us. Will good prevail over evil or will the world be engulfed in darkness? Best of luck to the Finalists!

Edited by FenixDown

I wanted to do more fallen songs, but for almost an entire month I have been helping my sister from her sickness. Been helping her with her medications,helped the ambulance ppl take her to the hosp twice, babysitting my nephew and keeping the house clean. the choices for the villain fallen songs were great Fenix, I had a real long debate on whether of doing hallow bastion or that other song from ff8. since i couldn't do anything I feel like this :banghead: lol

I couldn't really hear the Pokey's theme in either.. didn't try super-hard, but tried listening to Pokey and the tracks back-to-back. Some help?

Still, both are great tracks & the Icewind Dale piece is in there very clearly & cleverly.

Listen to the main melody again (the one I'm singing). I grabbed a melody from each source and then combined them. I'm guessing you just heard Sherincal in it and didn't keep listening to hear if Pokey was there too, which is understandable. The bell thingy at :53 in mine is also from Pokey. In GLL's, check out the gated saw at :59. That's Pokey.

The final battle will pit evktalo’s Marth against Jason Covenant’s Pokey.

For this final battle, the participants must use the character theme they signed up with. The Summon System is no longer available. Also, the tracks should be titled in the same format as was used in the Villain Bracket.

Wait, so what are we remixing exactly? Are we remixing only our own themes or both themes?