rRPC - The Remix Role-Playing Competition (Congratulations to Jason Covenant and evktalo)

FenixDown

is there a specific way u want the naming to be done for the fallen? (This isn't mentioned in the list from the first post)
Also, If I manage to make a bonus, how should I name it?
Any Fallen mixes that use a provided source should use the Heroes format while any mixes that use two character themes should use the Villains format.
Basically, using area themes it should look something like:

ReMixer - Mix Title (ReMixer’s Character Name & Round Source Name).wav

and if you're mixing two character themes together, it should look something like:

ReMixer - Mix Title (ReMixer’s Character Name & Opponent’s Character Name).wav

When will the Villain bracket on the first page be updated?

When OA gets around to updating it. I've asked him to do it a couple times this week but he's been busy with work. I look at the front page of the thread everyday and that's one of the first things I notice. If I see him online tonight, I'll bug him some more but at this rate, he'll probably end up updating both brackets at the same time. But yes, I am aware it hasn't been updated yet.

I am glad to see some interest in Fallen mixes in this week's round. I'll gladly accept them as long as they are sent in by the deadline. Which happens to be in about 17 hours. Be sure to start sending those in soon, and don't forget to vote on the current hero round.

I'm sorry to hear that man. Do what you can but mind your health. If you think you can get something in a little after the deadline, I'm sure Mindwanderer and the other competitors won't have any objections. Let me know if you think it can happen later today or not, if it isn't ready by the deadline.

Also, keep on voting people, regardless of when the villain tracks get released, the polls are still closing at the same time.

I'm sorry to hear that man. Do what you can but mind your health. If you think you can get something in a little after the deadline, I'm sure Mindwanderer and the other competitors won't have any objections. Let me know if you think it can happen later today or not, if it isn't ready by the deadline.

Na, don't bother extending the deadline for me. I've OHC'd it. It's uploading.

And voting for Hero Bracket Round 2 has closed!

Frog and Marth arrived at the entrance to the Tower of the Divinity Orb side by side. The large door was already open and, farther inside, there were signs of some kind of fight. The heroes entered with their weapons ready at their sides, and it was not long before they reached a corridor that split into two separate paths. Sensing that time was of the essence, the two heroes split up down the divided hall in the hope that at least one of them will reach the Divinity Orb before it was too late.

Hero Bracket Round Three: The Tower of the Divinity Orb

The final match-up of the Hero Bracket. The third round will focus on dungeon themes, specifically those associated with areas of special interest from their respective games. Whether they are final dungeons or areas that revolve around a key point in the game’s story, these locations leave a lasting impression on those who enter.

And the source theme for this round is:

To the Last Battle - Xenoblade Chronicles

And our Fallen Heroes who fell behind during the journey may choose any one of these four sources to mix with their character themes:

Dead Sea - Chrono Cross

Fallen Paradise - Hexyz Force

The Fallen Heroes may also choose to mix their themes with the themes of their fellow Fallen characters, regardless of which bracket they're from.

The Summons for our remaining two heroes are:

Ethan Rex: NovaReaper’s Ren and Tlachtga and djg-music’s Ramza

evktalo: urdailywater’s Nepgear and Yami’s Surlent

Heroes will have until noon EST on Monday, July 14 to submit their mixes to me. You guys already know by now, but please be sure to submit your tracks as requested in the opening post of the compo thread. The journey is nearing its end, Heroes. You must persevere!

Edited by FenixDown

Voting for the Villain Bracket Round Two is now open! You may download the round’s zip folder here. Voting may be done in the rRPC Social Group and will remain open until noon EST on Monday, July/14. Be sure to vote in every match up or else your vote will not count. If you want to post reviews of the round’s tracks, do so in a single post in this thread.

For easy access to the source themes used in each round, check out the rRPC Roster.

Thanks for all the comments on both of my mixes. Also Aaron, I really appreciated the offer to collab - this time though schedules would've made it impossible anyway + I really wanted to use the Marth source.

Dammit if that Xenoblade source isn't a third one in the row that's pretty easy to blend with the Marth tune. Dunno how I'd like to approach this.

I really liked your mix this week, Xeno. It reminds me of the old 70's disco classical remixes (
, Night on Bald Mountain, etc.) :nicework:

Thanks! I love both of those pieces, and I used to listen to A Fifth of Beethoven so much. Maybe that's where the influence came from. ;-)

Really love what you've done with your piece though - It's great having the groovy take on these themes. It's also cool that I can sing "Another one bites the dust!" to the start of it. :)

Edited by Xenonetix

Thanks for all the comments on both of my mixes. Also Aaron, I really appreciated the offer to collab - this time though schedules would've made it impossible anyway + I really wanted to use the Marth source.

Dammit if that Xenoblade source isn't a third one in the row that's pretty easy to blend with the Marth tune. Dunno how I'd like to approach this.

I'm excited for the matchup as well, this is a really good theme this week.

I'd also like to apologize for not voting or posting reviews. I'm currently in the process of remedying the latter though, so look out

I'm glad to see you both approve of the round source. I think I might have actually fist pumped when I drew it. I hope the fallen heroes find a source they like among the four other tracks I provided. I just realized I forgot to say it in the round post, but the fallen heroes can also choose to mix their themes with other fallen character themes from either bracket. I'll edit that in.

Here are some thoughts on the Villain tracks from Round 2:

Jason Covenant - Pokey the Choker: I like the feel of this one, especially after it kicks off around the 1:22 mark. It makes good use of both sources. Nicely done.

Mindwanderer - Mother of Sinistrals ~ Lament: This was an enjoyable track though the three notes from Pokey's theme in the background get a bit too repetitive after awhile. I'm not quite sure what to suggest on how to change that. I did think the return to the style of the intro at the end of the track was a nice way to wrap things up.

Xenonetix - A Demon's Executor: I like the energy this mix has. The production could probably be stepped up a notch but it's pretty solid otherwise. Would be nice if it were a bit longer.

Ghetto Lee Lewis - Gratuitous Sax and Violins: I'm really digging this funky mix. Very different style than the sources. Another mix I wish were a bit longer.

Supercoolmike - Earths Sacrifice: First of all, I'm just glad someone bit and made a Fallen mix. This is a pretty nice mix overall. Wait until you get some feedback from other people more qualified to make this call than I am first, but I think this mix just might have the potential to be mixpost-worthy. Well done.

As always, thank you guys for submitting your music. If you haven't done so already, be sure to get the zip folder and check out these tracks currently up for voting. Make your choices at the rRPC Social Group and help determine who advances to the next round.

Ethan Rex, evktalo, and anyone considering a Fallen mix this round, how are your mixes coming along so far?

Edited by FenixDown

Heads-up, I'ma vote soon.

Pokey the Choker - Takes a little long to get going, but once some dynamics changed up at 0:54, there were some more microchanges going on that helped to lessen the repetition. To me, 2:03 sounded drastically different than what came previously, so perhaps something to connect the sections by the bass frequencies would have helped. Overall the production is great, no substantial issues there. I guess I would have liked the snare/clap layer to be a tad louder, but other than that, it sounds quite good. Arrangement seems to have a rather "standard" structure to me, which is fine, and differences between breakdown sections helped to give a sense of progression. Use of sources sounded like one piece to me.

Mother of Sinistrals - Piano sample (somewhat lofi) could have been humanized more by putting a longer decay on the reverb. 0:32 harmonies seemed dissonant in a weird way. The parallel intervals there could have been just straightforward harmonies rather than consistently-sized intervals, and it would sound less awkward. 0:52 fade-in of the 8-bit synth sounded jarring to me. Actually, I guess the intro and outtro didn't seem to fit the otherwise chiptune arrangement. Somehow the acoustic drums are buried (even though these specific chiptune tones have thin frequency distributions). Maybe the tempo didn't help too much, as for me it made this sound more repetitive than it could have been. The arrangement has some neat ideas here and there, but at the same time, textures sounded sparse (for me it was not because you were using chiptunes). The sax at 3:11 didn't fit IMO, and needed humanization through more dynamic velocities and automated swells; it also sounded too loud. There was good development throughout; maybe it took rather long to get through these developments, but the concept made sense, and there wasn't too much copy+paste IMO. My main concern with this was how concise it could have been in articulating the ideas within it.

A Demon's Executor - So let's get this out of the way: the orchestra is quite mechanical. However, it isn't that bad. In this electronic-orchestral hybrid, it's a little more OK to have it mechanical. I would have liked it to begin without "just starting", so an intro would have helped. Maybe you did mean the first section to be an intro, but the thickness of the textures reminded me more of a "main" section. Things could have changed up earlier than a minute in, even microchanges. Overall it sounded like a lotta copy+paste going on to me, and things got too muddy past 1:15.

Gratuitous Sax and Violins - Sounds cohesive. Sounds like the sax was humanized fairly well, but mixed a little to the back. Strings had a few missteps in the sequencing here and there, but not necessarily obvious ones. Bass instrument is a tad loud. Drums sound very slightly overcompressed, maybe from a hard knee limiter (btw, the peak volume is about -1.5 dB). Good source meshing.

Earth's Sacrifice - The string instrument on the right (cello?) seemed a little dry, but humanized fairly well at times. The harp could have had some automation to do "swells" to the volume for humanization. The overall groove felt pretty constant for quite a while. 4:28 had some stuff fading in that was a totally different key. o.o; Good mood throughout and it sounded like one piece to me.

Edited by timaeus222

Thanks a lot, timaeus, and everyone else who have already put their votes in. Anyway, I probably don't have to do this anymore, but just reminding everyone the deadline for the current round and voting period is just over 18 hours away as of this post. Heroes should be getting their music to me soon and if you still haven't checked out the Villain Round 2 mixes and voted, time is running out.