rRPC - The Remix Role-Playing Competition (Congratulations to Jason Covenant and evktalo)

FenixDown

Yeah sorry about that folks. I actually had a wip going but I ran out of steam - work got crazy for me ><

If you or anyone else on the hero side finish what you started for the first round, feel free to still send it my way. I'll include them as extra Fallen mixes for Hero Round 2.

These Villains have traveled far from their dark domains for the chance to become the supreme ruler (or destroyer) of the world.
Destroyer. Definitely destroyer.

Mindwanderer (

) vs. gercr (
)
Aw yeah, exactly what I wanted. I have some ideas cooked up already, I'll get something done if it's humanly possible.

They both advance because otherwise we will end up with an odd number of participants in round 2 which will make things more complicated to sort out when we get there. Fortunately, since they do not have to mix each other's character themes, round 2 won't feel like a repeat match up. This is definitely not what I was hoping for but it is what it is.

I'm still deliberating on what to do about summons for Yami and evktalo. djg-music and Ethan Rex will get their opponents' themes but since Yami and evktalo were in the same match-up, I have to figure out who gets which theme between urdailywater and HoboKa. It'll probably boil down to a coin toss or roll of a die. Yami and evktalo, if you guys have any preferences regarding tracks or the method of deciding, message me and we will work something out we can all agree on.

Destroyer. Definitely destroyer. Aw yeah, exactly what I wanted. I have some ideas cooked up already, I'll get something done if it's humanly possible.

yeahh !! the sinistral battle theme is awesome and also lufia 2 is one of my all time favorites RPGs. this is gonna be dificult

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So we meet again, Gades Master of Destruction...

^^

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's alright, life throws us curveballs from time to time and we can't always be prepared for everything. I don't want anyone feeling like they should not have signed up in the first place because frankly, it would have been harder to get the compo off the ground in the first place if you hadn't. And there are still Fallen mixes to consider if you have the time, but more on those when we get to round 2.

So am I up against DJG next week? It seems like the bracket has got pretty wonky.

EDIT: I realized this sort of sounded like I was trying to start early, and that's not what I was getting at (and also would be impossible due to Hero bracket setup lol). I just like scoping out my competition for the next week ahead of time.

Edited by Ethan Rex

I thought all the entries were pretty solid & very enjoyable, although on the short side. *pats self on back for deciding to half-ass copypaste repeating the song twice with arbitrary variations thrown in* 8) I didn't check the sources how you incorporated them together, but all the pieces seemed seamless enough.

A Taste of Ivalice very nice and moody, low-key, sort of grand but not too epic for my tastes - I'm a non-fan of epic Hollywood orchestral stuff, so this sort of cinematic stuff really has to hit the sweet spot for me to like it, and here that happens. It never gets off to BOOM BOOM BOOM stuff like it sort of hints that it's building towards to, but that's honestly just a plus for me. :) I very much like the electronic/trip-hop vibe I'm feeling that's there. This is really begging for more length & development basically, this is going somewhere but doesn't reach it yet.

Dustin Time I very much like the chippafunky style here. It's short and sweet, and the rhythmic variation is super nice. Obviously tragically short. The sounds are good, but the production is quite flat, but I'm guessing you just didn't have the time to give it that mixing polish.

Spirit of Beginning so what's that you're saying about never going to do this style again? Because this is sounding like a fairly solid foundation, it's flowing quite naturally, the jazzy trio approach is certainly functioning. Pretty much in my opinion only needs humanization of all three instruments (and a bit more variation on the drums), more length and a bit more ebb and flow, breathing room on the arrangement. But a really cool start and I was feeling this, definitely!

• A Taste of Ivalice: Very cool dissonant effects going on here, I like how disturbing it is. Very unique and memorable. Unfortunately, that aspect got dropped halfway through--it would have been nice if those electro-industrial instruments made a return toward the end. The EQ could stand some tweaking, especially the harp, but overall great production.
  • Dustin Time: I agree with Eino, it's a little flat. The leads in particular get buried. The interesting timing sometimes works and sometimes doesn't--swing and arps, especially, are hard to integrate.
  • Spirit of Beginning: It's a good arrangement, but not a genre I feel comfortable commenting on. It could benefit from some level tweaking, but otherwise it does what it does quite well (while it lasts).
  • Avoin tie: There's a pumping that sounds like overcompression to me, and it's distracting almost to the point of being painful. I just couldn't get through listening to this a second time. Interesting that you went with a jazzy percussion section as well. I'm not crazy about the instrument choices--they don't seem to be chosen in any kind of unified way, they step on each other, some are clean and some are dirty.

I hope everyone can make time for mixing next time! My own is coming along nicely, I'm having a lot of fun with it and learning some new things.

So am I up against DJG next week? It seems like the bracket has got pretty wonky.

EDIT: I realized this sort of sounded like I was trying to start early, and that's not what I was getting at (and also would be impossible due to Hero bracket setup lol). I just like scoping out my competition for the next week ahead of time.

No worries, I totally understood what you were getting at. And I will agree the bracket has got wonky.

As promised, here are some thoughts I have on the Hero Bracket Round One tracks:

A Taste of Ivalice - The use of both themes was pretty seamless as far as I could tell. The track feels like it could be slipped into a scene from Final Fantasy Tactics and nobody would notice one of its sources is from a Mana game. I would definitely like to hear this track expanded on and touched up.

Dustin Time - Very chill and chippy merger of the two tracks. Production could be improved and a little more length and expansion would be nice (though the round source itself was under a minute long).

Spirit of Beginning - Definitely still feels like a work-in-progress but I very much like what you've got going so far. It turned out pretty well for only having a week's worth of time to make and I remember you posting your frustrations of transcribing the source. Anything else I can think of to comment on evktalo said much better than I could. The track does end abruptly, which suggests to me there is still more you wanted to do with it and I very much hope you return to it after the compo concludes.

Avoin tie - Overall a good combination of the two sources. I probably would not have noticed you copy/pasted half the song if you hadn't admitted to it yourself. Production could be improved and the drums seem to be all over the place at times, but it turned out pretty well for only having a week to work on it. As I've said for everyone else, I would like to hear this again after it's been touched up and expanded on.

Thank you all for submitting this round and I look forward to hearing what you do in the next one. Reminds me I should probably finalize the round 2 source themes soon. Villains, how are you all faring so far?

I've got orientation for university this week, so this might put a wrinkle in my plans, but if I'm lucky I can get some work in over the weekend and have something for you by the deadline.

Which reminds me, when I can find my headphones again, I'll listen to the Hero Round 1 and give my thoughts on it.