Non-Sonic Sega games: what's your favorite?

Flexstyle

Alex Kidd in Shinobi World!

Great music. First level must've been one of the first chiptunes i ever heard.

Castle of Illusion on Mega Drive.

Comix Zone as far as music goes.

SoR has the most impressive sound on mega drive but i missed it back then, and when i played it later it seemed a pretty boring game.

Edited by Nase

y'know it kinda upsets me that there aren't any comix zone remixes floating around

the music in that game is SO GOOD

i can only imagine what mazedude or shnabubula could do with said material

Well, both Maze and Shnab are amazing at what they do, but considering that the Comix Zone soundtrack takes more of a grunge-ish sound, we're more likely to see something amazing done by the hefty guitarists of the community.

Which reminds me, listen to Dr. Manhattan's take on the stage 1 theme. NOW.

There are Sega games that aren't Sonic? :<

Seriously though, Skies of Arcadia has a fantastic (in the literal sense) world. It has a unique aesthetic that I haven't been able to find anywhere else despite my best efforts. It wonderfully captures a feeling of adventure and exploration. I swear it would make a perfect anime and it'd be awesome.

I borrowed a Genesis back in the day, played the hell out of Ghouls 'n' Ghosts and Phantasy Star II. I maintain that Ghouls 'n' Ghosts is the best game of the series, mainly because it's less insanely hard than either Ghosts 'n' Goblins or Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts, but it also had great music and level design.

Phantasy Star IV has been on my to-play list for almost as long as I've had a to-play list....

Gotta be Streets of Rage 2 for me. Growing up, I really only had one friend until I hit junior high, a guy named Eric. I wasn't allowed anything other than a pc and a Game Boy, but he had a Sega, so when I went over to his house to hang out we'd play Sonic and Streets of Rage 2 a lot, and it was this "holy crap this is awesome" moment for me every time. I don't think we ever made it past the baseball mound section. Anyway, that game has some powerful memories for me.

Edit: Favorite Sega remix... probably Halls of Abandonment, without really going through my favorites playlist and checking the ones that are from games I never played to make sure they weren't Sega games. God I love that track.

Edited by Melbu Frahma

Fantasy Zone, Shining Force 1 and 2, Phantasy Star series, Streets of Rage 2 & 3, Shinobi 3, Ristar, Golden Axe 1-3. Vectorman was pretty awesome as well. I'm a sucker for Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine too. It's an excellent puzzle game, and I usually hate puzzle games.

But really. Just forget all the crap and get Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection on PS3 or 360. It has every game I just mentioned and then some

Edit: I was just thinking about really old Sega games. Monkey Ball is awesome. It's tons of fun, easy to get into, almost impossible to master, and may give you motion sickness.

Edited by megadave

Well, both Maze and Shnab are amazing at what they do, but considering that the Comix Zone soundtrack takes more of a grunge-ish sound, we're more likely to see something amazing done by the hefty guitarists of the community.

Which reminds me, listen to Dr. Manhattan's take on the stage 1 theme. NOW.

Mazedude can do any sound, and probably eventually will over his lifespan. He could fart out a good comix zone mix. Consider that the grunge sound is coming from basic FM...it can come from modplug as well.

Shnab could potentially do the same but his interests are more particular.

Ecco the Dolphin II: Tides of Time is definitely one. Both Sega Genesis and CD versions of the soundtrack are amazing!

Super Monkey Ball 1&2 yes, but also Super Monkey Ball Adventure.........it has such an outstanding soundtrack. I think it gets overlooked at times. Kangri-La and Moonhaven are especially good songs from that game :D! And Moonhaven has some good key changes and everything.

Edited by Cosmic Sounds

Time for an old timer to step in - forget all this 3D or even 16-bit bullcrap, I grew up around the time of the Sega Master System, and at that time Sega did a whole bunch of licensed games directly themselves as they didn't have the 3rd party support the NES had. Subsequently, many great games were created - arguably some of the best licensed games of the time IMO (and possibly some of the best licensed games evar). In particular, I loved stuff like Sega's version of Asterix, Spider-man and Ninja Gaiden, and the music was kewl.