Questions on Violins...

I'm looking to pick up a violin as a new instrument to play. However, after reading through various websites, there seems to be a lot of jargon and specifications for violins in comparison to wind instruments.

Simply put, I want to know what I should consider picking up. I've never picked up a string instrument before. However, I have 8 years experience in wind instruments, particularly brass. If age is ever a factor in learning a new instrument, then I'm 22. Also, is there any difference to playing as a left-hander as opposed to a right-hander?

Thanks!

It wouldn't hurt to just pick it up and try! (Though the cost of full-size violins can be a bit hefty...) And you have a lot open to you with a violin, like how you can play in a jazz band or orchestra for brass instruments, you can join an orchestra with a violin as well as play the fiddle.

Well, if you are willing, you don't know until you see for yourself!

Good luck!

My girlfriend violinist tells me that you're encouraged to play violin always in the right handed stance, simply for the reason that when you play in an orchestra, a left handed violinist would ruin the layout as they would poke people in the eye etc.

The things are simetrical though (i think) and i suppose theres nothing stopping you from stringing it backwards like a classical guitar, however i think whoevers teaching you would dissaprove.

If age is ever a factor in learning a new instrument, then I'm 22.

Yeah, yer gonna have a harder time at it than a kid would. It's a pretty difficult instrument. But don't let that discourage you if you're serious.

It's considered by some the most difficult instrument to master and when beginning, it takes time to be able to play even the simplest of things

Play the cello. Cellists >>>> Violinists, and besides, the tone is richer and the timbre is more pleasing.

Plus there are Violinists crawling out of the fucking woodwork. It's like guitar and bass players. It is NOT HARD to find one. Check under the cushions in your couch, there's probably one just LURKING there. Cellists are not nearly as prolific.

heh viola. I concur. After 7 years of playing it, I personally prefer its sound over the violin's. Sure, people might crack jokes at you for being a violist (since most violists suck), but if you enjoy it, then who cares.

Violist Revolution!

>.>

Yeah, I haven't touched a viola in 12 years.

Play the cello. Cellists >>>> Violinists, and besides, the tone is richer and the timbre is more pleasing.

Plus there are Violinists crawling out of the fucking woodwork. It's like guitar and bass players. It is NOT HARD to find one. Check under the cushions in your couch, there's probably one just LURKING there. Cellists are not nearly as prolific.

Not hard to find one. But very hard to find a good one. Competition breeds higher standards.

Viola(s?) and cellos, eh? Well, I've always preferred a darker, fuller sound in string instruments.

However,I suppose I just want to get my hands on some string instrument where lessons can be easily found. Something tells me that a viola or cello expert would be harder to find than a violin expert. As one of you have said, I could find one underneath my couch, right? *Begins diving*

As for the price of violins, I'm sure the REALLY nice ones will always be thousands of dollars, but I've found several models around 250-300 dollars. They may be horrid in quality, but I'm sure that they will at least be lesson-worthy.

Thanks for the input!

There is more violin rep out there, but that's not to say that repitoire for viola and cello doesn't exist. I guess I do prefer viola to violin (probably because my mommy's a violist :D), but it can be hard to play viola with a good sound. And I think, the bigger the string instrument, the bigger the price tag.

Being left handed... don't switch your hands around because of this. Keep the left hand on the fingerboard and the right hand with the bow. Having a more dexterous left hand may actually put you at an advantage for intonation, but you'll probably have to work a little harder to get a good sound. I think.

I also hear that it's good to start on violin before viola, so what the hell. My vote is for violin for you.