Recommend me a preamp

I don't know the slightest thing about preamps and their use, but the sound I get with my SM57 just doesn't have enough in the testicle department to be satisfying - not to mention the disgusting hiss my mixer's preamp gain brings on. So...

What preamps would you guys recommend? I'd be using it for guitar and the odd vocal, and my price range is the SM57/0404/Eurorack level so anything more than a couple hundred USD is out of the question. Yes, I realize this limits my options.

Thanks.

I'd recommend the Line6 Toneport series, if the guitar you mention is of the electric variety; even if not, you might want to check it out.

It's comprised of the UX1 and UX2 models, where the difference between the two is that, basically, the UX2 has more inputs and analog metering on the unit. They connect to your comp via USB, so you don't need to upgrade your soundcard. They are what are referred to as "modelling preamps", meaning that they have digital emulations (that sound damn good) of some vocal-oriented preamps, some guitar amps and a few bass amps. You can watch a promo video and stuff here: http://www.line6.com/toneport/

I haven't personally tried out either unit, but I have a Line6 PodXT, which has some of the same guitar amp models, and they're niiiice. Of course, if you meant acoustic guitar, then this might be a bit overkill for you.

Sorry, I'm really tired, so stuff I wrote might be a bit off.

Right! I guess that *was* deducible from your post. :)

Although, I must add, it does have analog stereo out on 1/4 inch jacks, so you can use it as a preamp into your 0404, but if all you need is a box to add gain to your signals, it's way overspecified for that. For something like that you might want to look at the Behringer MIC200: http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHMIC200

It got a good review in Sound On Sound when it came out. Actually, I lie! Apparently it was the MIC100 model, but I guess the 200 is an incremental improvement over it? Read the review here: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar04/articles/behringermic100.htm

Ok, checked to see what the differences are; I guess the 200 has 16 different selectable preamp voicings, whereas the 100 has basically just the one.

The Studio Projects VTB-1 is a great preamp. Especially for the price. I bought one to use for vocals with my Studio Projects C1 mics and it often eliminates the need for any equalisation. Also works great for micing guitar cabs. You can use the tube blend to add a little bit of sizzle to the signal. And, if you use something like a POD or other digital modeler you get that fat tube warmth, helping eliminate that digital harshness that comes with the digital modeling territory.