igNoring thE craSh - An NES Tribute Album [FINAL DEADLINE: AUGUST 10TH]

Touchstone

Hey! Just a little bump, at the same time letting you all know about an unforeseen development (don't worry, nothing huge). Upon investigating the sound track of 10 Yard Fight, we have found that there isn't one. Unfortunately, the only things one could work with are sound effects, and that certainly wouldn't pass on OCR. So, it is with great regret that I remove 10 Yard Fight off of the game list. While that reduces the possibiities down (although not by much), it also can bring focus on games that should be remixed (*cough* Kid Icarus, Underworld and Theme *cough*).

Still working on recruitment, but all are welcome, upon the conditions set in the first post. I hope this gets a bit more attention soon.

Hey! Just a little bump, at the same time letting you all know about an unforeseen development (don't worry, nothing huge). Upon investigating the sound track of 10 Yard Fight, we have found that there isn't one. Unfortunately, the only things one could work with are sound effects, and that certainly wouldn't pass on OCR. So, it is with great regret that I remove 10 Yard Fight off of the game list.
There seems to be a rhythmic percussive element, akin to that of a high school or college drumline. Would an interpretation like that allow for a remix? It's a simple enough rhythm and could actually be translated into a drumline cadence, with embellishment, of course.

Also, a question regarding the game list in the first post, is that supposed to be a tentative order of tracks as sorted by source game?

Edited by Anorax

There seems to be a rhythmic percussive element, akin to that of a high school or college drumline. Would an interpretation like that allow for a remix? It's a simple enough rhythm and could actually be translated into a drumline cadence, with embellishment, of course.

Also, a question regarding the game list in the first post, is that supposed to be a tentative order of tracks as sorted by source game?

It'd be pretty tough, but maybe. I think it's only been done

Anorax, if you'd like to give it a go, by all means please do so. I was thinking the same thing, but we were kind of unwilling to ask as much from the mixers. That list is not in order, though, we'll mix and mash as the progression between tracks permits. The only tracks in a fixed position, as far as we are concerned, are 10 yard fight (if it gets mixed) and that Wario title: first and last published game. In between, anything goes. Please refer to the opening post as to what kind of provression we are aiming for :)

sweet. Now I just need to find a drum line...

Although, to think about it, attempting to make a drumline arrangement would break from the book-ending idea you guys had (first track being 8-bit, the last being fully orchestrated), but dropping 10 Yard Fight does the same thing. Either way, the original idea seems to be unusable. What's your take on this?

Edited by Anorax

Watched some gameplay on YouTube, and apparently, there's something of a short musical riff when you score a touchdown or begin a half. Those could possibly be used as melodic source material.

As far as having an 8-bit sound, does the first song have to be pure 8-bit, or is some combination of 8-bit and other sounds a possibility? (shoutout to halc)

Also, if you have to stick to pure 8-bit, the NES's PCM channel is capable of some really impressive stuff. (check the FamiTracker forums for some good examples)

I guess it might be something of an anachronism to use the NES sound hardware in ways that weren't really utilized until past well the end of the console's lifespan, but that's a pretty moot point considering it's 2014. (Anyway, this album is basically celebrating the fact that the NES itself is an anachronism. A console released in 1985 shouldn't have had that much success, that great of a game library, that impressive hardware for its time, or that much phenomenal music, but the NES did.)

Edited by Magnum Octopus

Well, atleast I'm glad there's some life in here!

Personally I don't want an exclusive 8-bit sound; I thought more of it as "8-bit like". So yeah, halc's style would fit nicely :)

On the other hand, you bring a very interesting point Magnum Octopus. It would be a nice tie-in thematically...

I've got to discuss this with Touchstone...

Hey, finally got around to replying. The inital idea for this album is still in place, because the ability to make something sound more retro than it is is completely possible. I am up for a drum arrangement, or perhaps something using that small bit of source material Octopus mentioned.

However, if this proves to be to difficult, the book-ending idea can be thrown out, but I would still like to have a sense of direction with this. We'll still ask for a wide variety of styles, so we can create an analogy of progression.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello once again!

It's now December, so I thought the best way to start off the season of giving is giving a reminder to you all!

Final deadline is still June 2015, and I've sent PMs to all those what have claimed a track to try and get some more of their WIPs.

Hey, we're still recruiting too! Claim anything from the game list, and the track is yours to decide. Check the first post if you are interested on how to claim.

Anyways, that's all I've got for now. Oh, and.....

BUMP!

Apperently you like to make nice stuff out of short sources? *grin* Well... There's the 10-Yard Fight track that's giving us a little headache. That would mean composing the openingtrack, which basically originally consisted of little more then cheering and walking. Looking at your musical style, however, would mean that a track a bit later in the album would suit you better... How about SMB 2 or 3? SMB2 Character select and SMB3 Athletic could both be very suitable for your style, if you ask me...

Comparing the claims list to the available time until projected release is a bit preturbing. Pick it up people!

(Says someone who has no claims, and therefore has no room to talk :-P)

P.S. I'm planning on making a claim real soon, gotta get through exams first.

• 2 weeks later...
And now, it's official!

I'd like to welcome Mak to igNoring thE craSh!

Now, let's see if recruitment will pick up, seeing how we have Sixto, Showroom Dummy, Evktalo, and Mak. That's 4 posted remixers that trust us enough. Hint hint to the doubters. :)

Side note:

I'll provide full length wip(or wav) somewhere at this weekend or next week.

• 2 weeks later...
Side note:

I'll provide full length wip(or wav) somewhere at this weekend or next week.

Substantial WIP recieved!

On a different note, I have talked with BorgMan, and we have both agreed on instituting a Recruitment Deadline. While exact date has not been set, expect it to be mid-Febuary to mid-March. I hope that we can get more people in before then.