OCR02907 - Super Mario 64 'Through the Flames'

Liontamer

The horns in the intro were

, but when I read that these were free samples, it confirmed my thought: Justin is freakin' awesome. Putting the OCR bar aside, to make free samples sound this amazing is so not easy. I'm gonna be that one guy and give you 120 stars out of 120 (unless you want to count the bonus stars). :D Edited by timaeus222

I logged back into my account just to say that from the trailer, this track intrigued me the most. One of the things I love about the albums from OCR is how they give attention to tracks that would normally be skipped over. And this is one of my favorites already, so congratulations on getting the album out finally :razz:

Overall the arrangement has a certain sense of clarity to it, I really liked that.

The steady attack of the intro brass was indeed quite mechanical. Didn't mind the samples or the age of the mix other than that.

Some murky/conflicting writing on harp vs the other instrumentation at 0:51 & 1:02 & 1:12 & 1:18, maybe at 1:25 too, again at 1:38.

I felt there was some push-and-pull at the final third between minor and major feel. The minor feel at 2:24 felt odd, not wrong, but I thought it'd been more effective in major feel (going from minor feel before to major back to minor if that makes sense). 2:41-2:43 seemed to try both at once.

The arrangement is neatly divided into three parts, that was well paced. Pretty cool way to adapt the source, too! Nice to see this posted after such long time. Was it retouched in any way since submitting? Didn't see that mentioned so I assume not.

I've listened to the track multiple times now. Have to say, I really love the atmosphere you have going on. It feels like it could possibly be the title theme for grand epic Mario game having a Legend of Zelda vibe. It's grand and majestic. It also feels like you just entered a regal kingdom that holds kingly parties.

Love this track.

Thanks for the kind comments, guys! I admit, I was a bit leery of having this posted after so many years after completing it. I'm glad it's been received so well, despite its age :)

Some murky/conflicting writing on harp vs the other instrumentation at 0:51 & 1:02 & 1:12 & 1:18, maybe at 1:25 too, again at 1:38.

I felt there was some push-and-pull at the final third between minor and major feel. The minor feel at 2:24 felt odd, not wrong, but I thought it'd been more effective in major feel (going from minor feel before to major back to minor if that makes sense). 2:41-2:43 seemed to try both at once.

The arrangement is neatly divided into three parts, that was well paced. Pretty cool way to adapt the source, too! Nice to see this posted after such long time. Was it retouched in any way since submitting? Didn't see that mentioned so I assume not.

Great analysis here. I basically write what I hear in my head (not really much of a theory guy, unfortunately) so I can hit problems like what you've mentioned here.

As far as updates, I was tempted to completely rework this once I upgraded to better samples, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. It was my first accepted mix and I'm still proud of that fact. I did have this sent to back to me for a small issue with one of the instruments and I did take the opportunity at that point to remaster the track. However, no changes to writing or instrumentation was made.

Justin, as Zircon points out, you are not a professional...but I think he'd agree with me in saying you certainly could be. You consistently have the absolute best orchestral intuition I've ever heard. Most people have to make their way through a full book or two to get anywhere close to where you are in terms of orchestration.

Justin, as Zircon points out, you are not a professional...but I think he'd agree with me in saying you certainly could be. You consistently have the absolute best orchestral intuition I've ever heard. Most people have to make their way through a full book or two to get anywhere close to where you are in terms of orchestration.

Not to mention that this was from 2007 with no updates *coughcough* :D

Edited by timaeus222

For two of the easily worlds to get hurt in and had some tense moments, this adventurous orchestral take on Lethal Lava Land sounds great, man, and it has the kind of satisfied vibe I'd expect from successfully accomplishing all the missions within those worlds. I was interested in seeing how this source would be handled ever since I heard of the project, and I'm happy to say that it was well worth the wait.

• 1 month later...

Justin....I am almost speechless. I almost shed tears after hearing this. This is musical art man! You could take this piece and replace the song on Mario 64 right after Bowser is defeated. I can totally see it. Anything that paints an idea(s) in my mind I fall in love with and this I have truly fell in love with. I must download immediately lol! Keep up the excellent work!