OCRA-0048 - Super Mario 64: Portrait of a Plumber

My favorite song in this soundtrack will always be "Perilous Pathway" by Nutritious. It was such a bold and unique path to take on "Koopa's Road", and for that, I truly respect Nutritious.

The other songs are pretty good too :P such as "Grab the Red Coins" and "Roads to Everywhere".

• 1 month later...

Is ALL of the music on this album sampled from SM64 or do some tracks sample songs from other games along with the 64 tracks? It doesn't seem that any of the notes that accompany this album cite any specific sources. I need to know because I like to properly source all of my video game remixes in the Comments field in iTunes. Havng this entire album be absent of Sources will be pretty frustrating, so I'm wondering if they're all from SM64 exclusively.

Unless you mean literal sampling, everything is cited here, and based on the source tune names (which I am rather familiar with from playing the game as a kid), it does look like every source tune is rooted in SM64:

http://ocremix.org/album/56/super-mario-64-portrait-of-a-plumber

Technically, Metallic Mario (and Wing Cap Mario) is built off of "Invincible", but that's recycled throughout many Mario games anyhow, and it is personalized for SM64. If someone did use a source tune not from SM64, I would like to believe that it's only as some sort of small cameo.

Literal sampling is encouraged to be minimal on OC ReMixes, so no, not all of the music samples SM64, if at all.

• 3 years later...

Still such a fun album. Hats off to all involved. Some tracks are fun because it feels like something kinda like them could have been in the game, and then other ones are fun just because they're so bonkers. Peach's House Party's incorporation of the sound effects, Hush Hour's annoyed singing, the silliness of "junkie." I enjoy it all. Great takes on a great game's great music.