Album Idea: Women of Final Fantasy

Melbu Frahma

So, this idea's been bouncing around in my head for a few years now, ever since I found Kate Covington's

on YouTube half a decade ago. It's really been crystallizing in my head of late, though, as more and more Remixes featuring female vocalists have been released on the site, and also because of the success of Mirby's Audio Engineering. At first, the idea was more for a mega-collab of female vocalists, a la Fighting for Tomorrow, but as time went on I realized it might make more sense for each vocalist to take a separate theme.

Simply put, the idea is this: an album/ep of vocal remixes based around the stories of the female characters of the Final Fantasy series, wherein each song - remixing that character's theme tune - tells the story or feelings of each character within their world, the same as Rose of May does for Beatrix.

Not necessarily the female "lead" characters, either; Yuffie, Freya and Edea would make just as interesting sources as Aerith and Garnet. In addition, each remix would seek to utilize a style that makes sense for the character, i. e. no death metal for Eiko or country music for Lightning. Characters who don't have their own themes, such as Agrias, could use a major theme from their game that fits their character well, but ones who do have their own themes - Tifa, Ovelia, Celes, etc - should use that theme as the main source for the remix. In theory, no more than one - or two, at the most - characters from each game should be remixed, and I envisioned the album/ep as being between 6-10 tracks, small on purpose to make it easier to execute and release in a timely manner. And it would be rather cool to see that mega-collab track somehow make its way onto the album, maybe as the finale or something.

So why is this here, and not in Recruit/Collab? Quite simply, I don't think I'd have the time to do the project justice as a director, and I'm not sure I have the skills. But my hope is enough people will be interested, and someone comes along who wants to direct it, to see it happen in spite of my lack of talents in that area.

Maybe it's just a dumb idea, and no one else'll like it. But I think such a production would be an amazing addition to the site's already impressive catalog of album offerings, and really, I just hope someone does Tifa justice. :-P

Anyway. Thanks for your time reading this, whoever bothers to.

You could just make it an album of FF female theme remixes to keep it simple. Vocals and storytelling requirements would make it harder to pull off. I'm thinking of that Majora's mask project that has a very grand and sweeping vision, but who knows when it'll ever get done? I like the idea of restricting the genre though, nothing totally wacky for the context of the theme.

Edited by Argle

It's an awesome idea, but I see a lot of threads asking for female vocalists already. And site participation in general seems to be at a low right now. I think you'll have a hard time drumming up enough participation.

Yeah, I know, but I've had the idea bouncing around long enough that I needed to get it out of my head one way or another, whatever the result. :-P

And that's also part of the reason behind suggesting it be a smaller, almost EP-sized if not EP, sized album - with so many other projects, compos, and collabs going on on the site, I feel like the only way something like this could happen is by making it a smaller, agile, fast-moving album with just a half dozen, eight, ten or so dedicated remixers. Even if you just got a five or six-track offering out of it, I think it'd still be a pretty unique piece of art.

Who knows, though? It seems like there's a goodly amount of other projects wrapping up, between SD3, the Game Boy album, and FF9 (or so I've heard), among others. Maybe we'll see some new projects pop up and take center stage. I don't know. I've just always thought it was an interesting theme idea for an album.

Also, Argle, I'd be okay with that, too, if it happened. But then, I'm a huge Uematsu fan, so more FF music/remixes is always a plus to me.

• 9 months later...

Another thought on this idea is perhaps to drop the restrictions of just females from Final Fantasy and make it a women of RPGs in general EP/album. Or if anyone is feeling particularly ambitious, make it an album dedicated to any and all video game heroines. There could be ReMixes representing established women from video games like Samus Aran, Lara Croft, Princess Zelda, Princess Peach, Dixie Kong, Chun Li, and potentially so many others.

There could be ReMixes representing established women from video games like Samus Aran, Lara Croft, Princess Zelda, Princess Peach, Dixie Kong, Chun Li, and potentially so many others.

Damsels in Conquest? Needs something that (potentially rhymes with distress and) shows that it'd be an album of heroines.

Damsels of Contest?

Damsels of Duress? Nah, that can't work.

Damsels in Conquest? Needs something that (potentially rhymes with distress and) shows that it'd be an album of heroines.

Damsels of Contest?

Damsels of Duress? Nah, that can't work.

lmao that was harsh yet darkly funny :<

Another thought on this idea is perhaps to drop the restrictions of just females from Final Fantasy and make it a women of RPGs in general EP/album. Or if anyone is feeling particularly ambitious, make it an album dedicated to any and all video game heroines. There could be ReMixes representing established women from video games like Samus Aran, Lara Croft, Princess Zelda, Princess Peach, Dixie Kong, Chun Li, and potentially so many others.

I'm phoenix down for that - would be an interesting album for sure!

I'm phoenix down for that - would be an interesting album for sure!

I see what you did there. And thanks, glad you like that idea. It seems like the sort of idea I'm surprised hasn't been done on OCR already. Maybe someday down the road I might consider directing it if no one else steps up first, but right now I think I'd like to get a bit more experience in running things like compos before tackling something like that.

I see what you did there. And thanks, glad you like that idea. It seems like the sort of idea I'm surprised hasn't been done on OCR already. Maybe someday down the road I might consider directing it if no one else steps up first, but right now I think I'd like to get a bit more experience in running things like compos before tackling something like that.

Sounds good. It's not that hard to run a compo, from personal experience. There is a lot of copy/pasting and editing required =p. Also you'd need to hit up Ramaniscence at ThaSauce here's a link to their IRC address.

• 1 month later...

Interesting idea/concept. Why not VG women in general as well? FF has been pretty heavily remixed, and some games/women deserve more remixes.

I like this idea^^  and if you coulld have it finished in time, you could put it up on OCRecords as a Pay-What-You-Want [i'm thinking with a $1 minimum, but maybe something higher might be better?], and have the proceeds go to a charity that's related to some sort of women's issue [e.g.: Susan G. Komen, Go Red For Women, Maybe there's others I'm not aware of...]

As for an album title, I'm thinking something along the lines of "Strong Female Leads", but with either "Leads" crossed out, or "...and supports" [or something similar] scrawled underneath it [this may have sounded better in my head. :/], in some sort of lipstick-like schmeer. I can almost imagine a Rosie The Riveter Parody with any given game character in it.

If you do manage to drum up enough support for thiis, I could see maybe a multi-disc album being made with this concept.

In any case, this is a pretty awesome concept! Looking forward to it, if anything comes of it!

• 2 weeks later...