Games you almost passed

swansdown

Final Fantasy VIII : made it to the part where you enter Edea's palace never played after that. Mega Man X7 : A complete turnoff for me, didn't like the gameplay and didn't like the new character Axl. Finally there is Treasures of the Rudra that has 4 different stories, 3 with a main character and the fourth one reunites them. It was super fun but really long.

I was plowing through the comments to see if there's anyone I can quote, and voila, there I go. Isn't it kinda sad in retrospect to remember taking the steps in the last dungeon but for some reason not walk all the way up to kefka... Ff6 is the best gaming experience of my life, too. I think I'll never find peace until I complete the game... Then I've lived a full life. Someday..

You know, I keep thinking that I've surely still got all of the memory cards, surely I still have one of the savefiles... maybe I should just stay up one Friday/Saturday night and knock it out? Someday. Preferably once I'm no longer doing 2 1/2 peoples' worth of jobs at my company/have moved on to a company where I only have one job and can have a decent sleep schedule.

Another big 1 for me was Anachronox. Friggin' loved the story in that game, but it's so riddled with bugs and glitches that not even a GOG.com port could fix 'em. I can't even fully describe how bad they were, it's just too painful =(

Ah, Anachronox! There's a bug which sometimes freezes the game right when the final boss appears. :shock: My friend's favourite game and he could never pass it. Poor guy. :lol:

Well at least we can watch the machinima. ^_^

Zelda link to the past!

Just when i had reached ganon's fortress thing, we moved. When i reconnected the snes at the new house and tried to find the channel for a while, i randomly fumbled around on the controller a bit with the snes turned on. When i finally found the channel, the save was gone.

LttP wasn't an easy game for me then, i'd gotten stuck in a few areas before and only gotten to the near end over a pretty long period. So i decided to let it go at that point. Terranigma came out soon after that, so i got over it quick enough.

And that one i finished, despite all the tedium in the endgame!

Banjo-Kazooie

Back in the '90s this game started a long-standing tradition of me being unable to finish single-player campaigns. 99/100 Jiggies... To this day, I don't know where in Rusty Bucket Bay that damn thing is...

Half-Life

I've beaten Half-Life 2 and enjoyed it a great deal, but there's one part of the original that I kept getting stuck on. I don't quite remember what part, though...

Fire Emblem (GBA), Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones, Fire Emblem: Awakening

Whenever I get within 2 or 3 chapters of the end of a Fire Emblem game, I give up...

Ocarina of Time: I finally beat it on the 3DS on December 31st 2012, demanding of myself to finally complete the game before the New Year.

I had started the game on the N64 more than a decade earlier...

OMG therer so many hahah notable ones would be FF7, BF2&3, Quest64, Half-Life

I started out playing half-life in a disconnected way, hacking favorite stages and weapons into console and just playing those over and over. I saw everyone do it at the first LANs we did, so i thought you do it that way.

A while later i decided to play through it decently, and that was nice. It was still the pirated version from the LAN though, and it lacked the soundtrack. Bit of a shame.

Fire Emblem: Awakening

Whenever I get within 2 or 3 chapters of the end of a Fire Emblem game, I give up...

Fire Emblem: Awakening is one of the only games I've ever put like more than 50 hours into. Which truly is a feat as I usually can't sit through a video game story that exceeds ten hours. Aside from beating the main campaign I played most of the paralogues and most of the DLC. I love that game.

Fun thread!

I'm a total completionist type so I've at least beaten nearly every game I've bought. Now with the crappy trophy system, I can't stop until I get 100% on the trophy menu. It's a problem.

Anyway, I have one that still pings on my heart and that's Persona 3. I just can't figure out how to beat this one boss that casts Megidola!

Ah, Anachronox! There's a bug which sometimes freezes the game right when the final boss appears. :shock: My friend's favourite game and he could never pass it. Poor guy. :lol:

Well at least we can watch the machinima. ^_^

Never thought of that - might give Machinima a gander.

edit

That sucks for your friend. I had a glitch where I returned to Anachronox from Sender Station 1 - game would not allow me to return to the station thereafter...the other glitches are just difficult to describe without me typing out a wall of text haha.

Metroid Prime: Hunters - Beat several repetitive bosses. Maybe half of them. I never stopped hating the controls. When I came across a new enemy type that made my hands hurt even more, I just stopped playing for good. Tried it from the beginning recently and couldn't stand it for more than 30 minutes.

Mega Man 3 - Got to the "remixed" robot master stages. I think it was Shadow Man's revisited stage that got me to stop. Major slowdown really ruined the platforms where you have to jump immediately upon landing. So much rage.

Super Mario 64 (sort of) - Played up to the final Bowser battle when I was a kid. Couldn't beat him, so I stopped trying for years. Felt really good when I eventually came back to the game as a teenager and beat it without any trouble.

There are definitely a lot of games that I don't finish when I'm replaying them (most recently SteamWorld Dig), but I usually finish my games the first time through, anyway. I don't actually buy many games, so I don't have a backlog to work through.

Ni no Kuni. I think I was close but just started getting interested in another games at the time.

An even more recent one was GTA 4. I bought it on sale and towards the end felt like I was forcing myself through the game. Finally decided it wasn't worth the trouble with about 4 or 5 more missions left.

I think I almost beat WoW but an expansion came out and I cried.

Oh yeah and Chrono Trigger. I had to give it back to a friend before beating the final 2 dungeons. Have it on PS3 now so maybe one day...

Oh AND Oblivion. Got to the final boss area and it was pretty, but then, HARD DRIVE CRASH HURRAY.

oh and mega man 2. screw wily

Edited by urdailywater

A PC port of Sonic 3 and Knuckles was the first real game I ever played, but I couldn't get past Hydrocity Zone Act 2 for years and ESPECIALLY couldn't figure out that barrel in Carnival Night Zone for many more, like a lot of people.

...and it's still one of my favorite games of all time.

Also, I guess I've never finished Metroid Prime even though I've had it for two years. Huh. I guess that's what happens when I'm distracted and busy.

...and ESPECIALLY couldn't figure out that barrel in Carnival Night Zone for many more, like a lot of people.

That barrel. So much rage. Sooooo much rage.

For me it's been FFVI, despite several attempts. It's the only FF title I've ever played, and I keep getting to the point where I've finished everything besides Kefka's Tower, but I'm just reluctant to bring on the annoying-enemy-encounters-every-five-steps that I know is waiting there. Plus I want to get the best possible gear for my team, and that requires GameFAQs, but I don't really feel like sitting with my GBA in front of a computer. (Doesn't help that I also overwrote my savefile a few times like a total idiot.) So I just keep derping about on the Veldt, filling out everyone's magic list and getting those last few Rages, biding my time.

Aha, thanks for reminding me, I too have only almost finished FF6! Definitely need to replay that one. It might be a bit silly, but I loved FF4 so much FF6 never really felt as stupendously great to me as it supposedly is. *shrug* It's been more than 15 years though, so maybe I'd be able to enjoy it better now.

But the games I came here to post about are a few Zelda games: Link to the Past I've played *twice* to the 7th dungeon in the dark world, which is like two and a half hops to the end of the game. I really do love that game, but for some reason it's just a tiny bit too long or something.

The same with Link's Awakening - it's been longer since I played that, and I remember even spending time digging up secret seashells and what not, but still couldn't finish it. I'm also stuck in the 6th dungeon in the first Zelda, but that's just because there seems to be two really difficult rooms back-to-back. It's such an upward spike in the difficulty, that I'm sure there's some trick to it.

I certainly should be replaying all these games..

Aha, thanks for reminding me, I too have only almost finished FF6! Definitely need to replay that one. It might be a bit silly, but I loved FF4 so much FF6 never really felt as stupendously great to me as it supposedly is. *shrug* It's been more than 15 years though, so maybe I'd be able to enjoy it better now.

Haha, welcome aboard the "FFVI Last dungeon was too much" train, passenger count 5! It's getting kinda crowded in here for some reason!! :lol: Interesting coincidence, so many have quit playing approximately at the same point in the game. Or is it coincidence???!! :shock:

I normally hate to let games that I get go without beating them, but sometimes I just don't get around to a couple of theme. There are two that come to mind though:

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I've made it all the way up to the last area where I'll be dealing with Ganon, but I always seem to get caught up with something else or distracted and not get a chance to finish the damn thing. One of these days, maybe.

Super Mario Bros: Lost Levels. Process seem to go that I'll play it in an attempt to finish it, die on a level for about half an hour, finally pass it and go "okay, I can at least save here and try to get further later" because I'm so burnt out just trying to get past the previous one. Currently at 7-4, so I should finish that up before too long.