Games you almost passed

swansdown

Ah, Ocarina of Time. I remember passing the last dungeon then standing outside Ganon's castle going 'Nope. Not another dungeon right now!' and turning off the game.

Didn't come back for a few months to finish it. After the spirit or shadow temple, I just couldn't take another one so soon.

I have a huge backlog, since i never really beat games. but some notable ones would be:

1. FF8 , after a summer of playing, i got to the end of disc 3 before my copy of the game kept freezing on one cutscene which then rendered it impossible to ever beat.

2. Fjnal Fantasy Dissidia has the most impossible difficulty near the end of the game.

3. Crusaders of Might and Magic has a really stupid puzzle at the final boss that took 7 years for me to figure out because at no point in the game is it ever hinted at how youre supposed to finish the battle. i did beat it, but i played through the game maybe 6 times before finishing it once, so its worth mentioning.

FFV: Pretty much at the end where you go to the last dungeon. I was doing a lot of prep and leveling up my jobs, but just stopped playing somewhere along the way.

Castlevania SotN: I'm at the final boss and I just can't beat him. Really annoying.

Chrono Trigger: Finished all the sidequests at the end except the last one. It's really hard. Makes me wonder if Lavos will be easier if I get through it.

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow.

Sure, the cart's small, but it got lodged near the end and had to be removed manually at the doctor's. Keep that in mind the next time someone says, "You talk about that damn game one more time, and I'll cram it down your throat."

Had to read it a couple of times to get it. XD

2. Fjnal Fantasy Dissidia has the most impossible difficulty near the end of the game.

I know exactly what you mean. I leveled Squall to lvl 100 to beat that game and I couldn't do it with him. So I went back and leveled up Cecil all the way from lvl 1 to lvl 100 just to beat the game. I can't believe I sunk 90 hours into a handheld.

Anyway, a game I almost beat was Final Fantasy 7. I played all through the game and got to north crater. I then discovered that I was not leveled enough to beat it. I left and spent a month grinding and just when I was finally ready to do it, my brother's friend took the game back. He was borrowing it from him. It was probably 2 more years before I got a copy of the game and had to start from the beginning.

Another game was Final Fantasy X-2. Got to the final dungeon and couldn't beat the dark magus sisters. Decided that the game was too dumb to put in anymore effort so I quit entirely.

EDIT: Oh yea, one more. Y's Seven. Got to the final boss and couldn't beat it. Decided that I didn't like the story or combat so I just quit. Gave my brother my PSP shortly after that.

Edited by Thin Crust

Funny you should ask that, because right now I'm contemplating abandoning my run of Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2.

I can handle the slogs of Personas 3 (yes, including The Answer) and 4, but for some reason I'm finding myself more and more annoyed with each damn battle in this game - and I love the first one. I think they just throw too many annoying battles at you this time around, not enough story, and it feels like the levelling + demon pacing is off. :| Which I know is a crap complaint in regards to a MegaTen game, but...

Another game I gave up on was the Julius Mode of Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow. I gave up at Death. I kept dying, leveling up, still dying, and said "screw this" after contemplating doing even more grinding to buff up my hit points.

Not counting the multitude of games I have played on Steam for 10 minutes and decided I shouldn't have bought them....

...the biggest two are Final Fantasy VIII, in which a cutscene either very end of disc 3 or beginning of disc 4 didn't work due to a scratch and I was too frustrated to play again, and Lost Winds: Winter of the Melodias where I was near the end, got Okami (which I also am yet to finish, ha -- hopefully Deia and I can do that this fall?) and quit playing.

Super Mario RPG

Save stated at the last boss battle with two dead companions and a poisoned 1-hit-from-death Geno.

Last save state was at just getting Bowser.

Little kids aren't smart okay

good guys win bad guys lose geno disappears and literally never shows up in any other mario game ever again for who the fuck knows why the end

SERIOUSLY GENO WAS SO COOL WHY NINTENDO

On-topic: I regularly give up on games half-way through only to pick them up a year later and love them

Oh, that reminds me: Super Mario Sunshine. I beat the game, but so many of the shine stars were utter BS. Only 3D Mario game I every played and didn't complete 100%.
Super Mario 3D World now makes my list. That last bonus world is a bitch. The Captain Toad level was fine, but the challenge house and the standard level are just insane. Not impossible, but the relentless, perfection-demanding pressure is no longer my idea of fun.

Donkey Kong 64 .... Those arcade games at the end KILLED me, normally that stuff isn't hard, but for some reason those were the worst, maybe it was just the 64 controller didn't work well with them... yeah, that's my excuse :)

I actually got so good at those back in the day that kids would give me their carts at recess to take home, beat those games, and bring back. I got so much gum from that deal :grin:

Tbh if I played em again now I'd probably lose first try lmao

Just about every sandbox game ever. Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3... Kinda amazed that I was focused enough to beat the Skyrim main quest. With every other game I get distracted by all the shiny sidequests and mods I can add to the vanilla experience.

Edited by Moguta

I almost didn't bother playing Record of Lodoss War for Dreamcast, because I had picked up some other "junk" games from a FYE bargin bin some ten years ago, and among those were winners like Dragonriders of Pern. I figured Lodoss was the same, and boy was I wrong. Even if the plot is kind of dumb and predictable (I saw the protagonist and I gave him the name I figured the character really was, after seeing the anime), the gameplay is amazing and fun, and a lot like Diablo 2. I'm glad I didn't leave it to collect dust.

Off the top of my head, Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga and Mario & Luigi Partners in Time.

To be fair, I have a horrible track record with video games and I very rarely bother to beat them all the way through. With the above games, I've gotten to the final boss (or at least what I believe is the final boss), but never completed the game.

On an unrelated (or perhaps semi-related) note, I'm a little confused as to what this thread is for. The title implies to me that we are to talk about games that we almost didn't play at all, but instead the OP asks about which games we've almost beaten. I apologize if I'm being rude, but perhaps this thread is mislabeled just a tad?

• 4 weeks later...

Command & Conquer: Renegade

- Loved the game to bits but I never made it past the Mountain Chalet, I think.

Kiss: Psycho Circus

- I made it at least halfway. Beat the first two realms and stuck at the third realm with the fourth realm unaccessible.

I want to mention Will Rock because I almost made it to the first boss. Almost.

Scratch Metroid Prime 3 off that list. But my wife just added Minish cap to hers.

Kind of don't blame her, plot-wise, Minish Cap is kind of tedious and boring ("do [x] annoying thing to get to [y] dungeon, repeat four times"). The sidequests really make the game IMO.

It was almost like Capcom was incredibly rushed making that one, which makes me reaaaaally sad because Oracle of Ages/Seasons are to this day still my favorite Zeldas.