OCR02921 - Super Mario Bros. 'The King Awaits'

djpretzel

Okay, yeah, those mallet hits are genius, man. The whole ReMix doesn't come off as overly frantic, but that tense, dark vibe is there in spades, which is perfect for the original castle theme. The SFX were a nice addition, too. The ending really capitalized on the idea of making a picture of finishing Bowser off by getting that axe and dropping the bridge. Really digging this one.

The mallets, while initially cute, eventually overloaded my brain and added to the frenetic terror that underlies the whole arrangement. I believe this is the music that would begin playing should baby spiders ever swarm out of my eyes.

I gotta agree on that, even the whole baby spiders thing. I think the mallets take center stage way too much, overpowering every other instrument easily. I'm not sure if I like them; I'd rather had seen them replaced with something a bit easier on the ears. There's a small pause at 2:43 where they return again that does suit me though. All in all, a nice, frantic remix. I'm sure, though, that if my girlfriend would've been around, she'd throw the speakers out of the window :roll: