OCR01478 - *YES* Ghouls'n Ghosts 'Poltergeist Mix'

djpretzel

Ramaniscent (zinged you, Rama!) of Shna's style of mixing, this one utilises some less than amazing samples in a more than amazing way. The shake up in time signatures throughout the mix always leaves you guessing.

First to deal with the production. As said, there are some very low quality samples in this, dry and basic, but they're utilised in a very creative way. Everything is crisp and clear, all the effects are well timed and programmed. No complaints here. The soundscape sounds empty at times, but that just allows for the clarity.

The arrangement is amazing. I haven't heard the source, and I'll come back to compare that when I find it. But without hearing the source, this is simply amazing. Everything fits together snugly. There's a section from 1:50 that melts my spine, the arpeggio synth playing in the background is such a logical move, it compliments the beats, the melody, the bass synth, everything so smoothly.

After listening to the source finally. The arrangement in this actually comes accross as fairly conservative. Things stay fairly true to the original right the way through, however the creativity here comes from the techniques applied to the theme right the way through, and the way it's produced. Without all the little catchy differences, this would be falling dangerously close to being too conservative for the site.

YES

Lots of old-school/lofi sounds.. I guess that was intentional, but the intro wasn't pleasant. The synths are simple across the board also. However, the automation work with the legato lead was really impressive and served as a nice centerpiece, in my opinion. In terms of arrangement, things seemed pretty 'bleh' until 1:51. At that point, EVERYTHING picked up. This was the turning point in the mix for me. The actual arrangement got more interesting, the sounds flowed together more, the drums were more groovy.. etc. I really have to emphasize it, the whole song is just a lot better after that point, though the ending is a bit abrupt.

Good job overall. I like the structure, the creative synthesis/sound design, the beats, the whole deal. My only major criticism would be that the intro is probably a bit too long considering that it's a bit grating. But that's just my opinion.

YES

Gonna have to get the pimpage/plugs out of the way before I discuss Martin's mix. We have a project going on for VGM composer Tim Follin, who announced a few months ago that he was quitting the video games industry since he can no longer make a steady living off of it. How this man can't make a steady living off his skills, I don't understand.

Regardless, myself, Kaleb Grace & CHz have banded together to organize an OC ReMix Site Project dedicated to Follin's work to show our appreciation. When complete, it will be the first non-commericial VGM arrangement project dedicated to a composer rather than a company, game, or game series, eventually located at http://follin.ocremix.org.

The project, "Dirge for the Follin" was named by Dwelling of Duels co-creator, Crimson, and will feature tracks from across the game arrangement community. So far, we have completed tracks from Ryan8bit (Solstice), Xoc (Magic Johnson's Fast Break & Super Off-Road), Binster (Ghouls'n Ghosts), Romeo Knight (Bionic Commando), and Makke (Qix). We're looking for anyone else interested in honoring Tim Follin to join the project.

------------------------------------------------------

http://www.exotica.org.uk/tunes/archive/C64Music/Follin_Tim/Ghouls_n_Ghosts.sid - Subtune 10/11

This is the third completed track for "Dirge for the Follin", and it's already been very well received by the Commodore arrangement community, reaching #2 on Remix64's All-Time charts.

The arrangement is pretty conservative in terms of altering the structure of the original. Where the track really excels is the personalization and creavity put forth in expanding the source material, much like bLiNd, McVaffe and Mark Vera have done in the past.

Short and sweet, I thought the production was excellent the whole way through and that the arrangement displayed great dynamics to retain the listener's interest. Martin not only worked towards creating his own interesting sounds and textures, but substantially built upon the framework of the original with his own additional writing to fill this out and ratchet up the energy level.

It's a genuine pleasure to have this track representing "Dirge for the Follin" and I'm sure those in the community will feel the same way.

YES