*NO* Castlevania 'Castelvania by GraHf'

djpretzel

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/castleva.zip - Tracks 4, 3 & 2

Dueling guitars with awful tone; repetitive sequenced drumkit that didn't even fit the guitar work; no meaningful texture; terrible transitions; completely cover-ish arrangement. Sloppy.

Moves to the next source at 1:53. More of the same. Another source tune with an even more insignificant transition at 3:20. More of the same. Even the fadeout Fed up. Poor all around.

NO

I gotta say this does seem pretty messy.. did you use a metronome or click track or something to that effect? The intro section is really off in terms of the guitar rhythms. The parts drift at times and contrast sharply with the very mechanical drum sequencing. The bass is sort of lost in the mix as well. I also noticed the guitar/bass panning seems weird at times (particularly the bass). I would really work on trying to get a tighter performance down and then focus on making a realistic rock drum part. You can always look around for drum loops also and then write your own fills into them, if you feel like your sequencing abilities are not up to snuff.

The arrangement of the song is very simple. It's a simplified medley, with no real melodic or harmonic additions. All the chords are basically the same, all the rhythms.. it's essentially a cover. Covers are fine but that's not what we look for here. You really have to go OUT of your way to try to make the mix interpretive. What sets this apart from the original versions, if you just wrote down the notes on paper (in other words, ignoring the instruments used)? Not a lot. That's very important to consider.

I really like your guitar tone btw. Now build on that..

NO

Guitars are too loud and poorly played. Drums are robotic and too subdued. Everything is hidden beneath the guitars in the mix. Build around them, don't let them over-dominate.

Arrangement is lurking in the cover zone. I'm with Larry on this one, there's little creativity here. Even without the poor production, I don't think this would pass.

NO