OCR02930 - Mega Man X6 & X3 'Shield of Legend'

Oh yeah, I've had this on my MP3 ever since it was released in the compo. Cool to see it hit the front page. Still sounds as great today as it did a couple years back. Awesome work by both ReMixers and I'll keep enjoying this track for a long time.

I was liking this ReMix just fine, but it wasn't until 0:55 that I looked up from whatever menial task I was doing on my computer, and I didn't look back down until the end.

That strong juxtaposition between chiptune and sweeping orchestra is like tasting something sweet and salty at the same time, and that thing is delicious. The percussion work has a goodly amount of power to it-- BUUM, DUM, BUUM -- BUUM, DUM, BUUM-- and I love the brass. Heroic.

I'm not really here for the melody, and as I've never played Mega Man X, certainly not the nostalgia. It's the way that mixture of instruments brings grand feelings to the surface.

Hola, Damage drums. =P

I liked the little stereo field nuances in here from the sweeps, panning arps and such. Even with the Heavyocity stuff, it didn't feel quite like the drums were trying to be the star and cover the lower-quality samples up, so that's good. Neat irregular rhythms here and there, and an engaging arrangement that actually had a good sense of direction. :)